It's grim up north....tales from the Primate House

NorthernMonkey

Having been reminded that some of you on here may be interested in the fleet along with some of the comings and goings in the workshop, I thought it's probably time to increase my post count somewhat

First off, a couple of my MBs that the more astute among you may recognise.

post-17519-0-55216200-1501428725_thumb.jpg

The one on the left is the ex-RichardK ex-Sixcylinder 500SEC that joined the fold a couple of weeks ago.

I've been using it daily to try and get a handle on what needs doing. Other than the front wings, the drop links need attention and there's also a distinct clunk that sounds a little like a bottom ball joint which has manifested itself in the last couple of days so it's been parked up now for a week or two until there's space in the workshop for some attention.

post-17519-0-83002100-1501429341_thumb.png

On the subject of wings, I found this on eBay for £not a lot.

It needs a bit of tlc but it's in far better condition than the one on the car so it's a better base to work with.

The other Merc is also ex-RichardK but I'm ashamed to say has received no attention at all since arriving 18 months ago. It too needs a couple of wings along with some metal letting in on the o/s/r corner. However, the guy who I got the wing from for the S has a couple of W124 shells, one of which will hopefully supply a rear corner for this one.

Just need to teach myself to weld now. Oh yes, and buy a welder. Watch this space.

Keeping the theme going, here's what's residing in the yard at work...

post-17519-0-35686900-1501429918_thumb.jpg

Having finally rebuilt the engine last month, its now running quite nicely so next up is a 2.5 turbo conversion, the bits for which are lurking in the back, along with a nice pair of Alfa 156 seats and a pineapple for the roof.

Then, it's respray time. Currently favouring Nissan cafe latte which is a nice metallic coffee colour as seen on Notes and X-trails. Having said that, it's taken a while to get to thus stage so fashions/tastes may well change again.

Finally for now, we have MrsNJGleeds' daily...

post-17519-0-78815500-1501429951_thumb.jpg

Other than my old V70, this is probably the longest serving member of the fleet. She loves the car and indeed used to like the number plate until a neighbour commented one day that it read SEX 4X in their rear view mirror!

I've got to admit, it's a hell of a lot of car. The first few times I saw it down at Richards place, it did nothing for me. I love the lines of the C124 but this just looked bloated. However, it grew on me and I'm now rather attached to it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a big old barge BUT when you put your foot down, dimensions change...the only noticeable difference is everything in the (electrically adjustable) rear view mirror getting smaller rather rapidly.

Previously, I had a late D2 4.2 Quattro A8 and whereas that was incredibly quick, it was nowhere near as rewarding to pilot as you felt obliged to put your foot down all the time for some reason.

This, however, rewards you for plodding. Windows down, iPhone providing background music, it's akin to floating along on a luxurious if slightly shabby cruise ship, perhaps along the lines of the QE2 herself. Continents pass by, time (and unleaded) just slip away and the world in general just feels at peace with itself. Then, when circumstances permit, plant your right foot and you're suddenly more than capable of outrunning one of lil' Kims new pyrotechnics.

Yeah, I think the A8 has always been the sportier fullsize sedan of the big German 3 while the W140 definitely was the one most focused on pure cruising. I do believe that the different focus on certain aspects of these cars make a huge difference in how you want to drive that particular car. I do notice this with my E39 and Lincoln, while I drive one rather briskly most of the tine, you just don't feel the need to in the other.

'Tis true, gas cylinders do seem a tad thick but iirc an acquaintance of a few years ago had made a number of wood burners out of 'em and was using a hobby mig with gas for all of it...

If you want to try a stick welder on it, I have a hobby one that's decidedly underused.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

New addition to the fleet today....wasn't much of a collection thread to be had as it was only 7 miles away and has a buggered engine so was picked up on the truck...

post-17519-0-08329400-1502994705_thumb.jpg

Just spotted the first issue...

post-17519-0-65190400-1502994733_thumb.jpg

Front direction indicator showing light other than orange. If only that was the only problem...

Is it VERY wrong that I have a bit of a lob on for these, especially in black?

post-17519-0-78815500-1501429951.jpg

They are actually a really competent convertible. No scuttle shake to speak of and enough room in the back for a couple of kids at a push. This one is only a 1.6 but it gets down the road well enough...the 1.9 tdis are lovely in a tin top but the noise can be a bit intrusive in the cabriolet. In my opinion, the ideal engine is the 1.8t which is probably what this will eventually get replaced with when one comes along for the right price.

Speaking of scuttle shake...

post-17519-0-93180300-1503002607_thumb.jpg

They are actually a really competent convertible. No scuttle shake to speak of and enough room in the back for a couple of kids at a push. This one is only a 1.6 but it gets down the road well enough...the 1.9 tdis are lovely in a tin top but the noise can be a bit intrusive in the cabriolet. In my opinion, the ideal engine is the 1.8t which is probably what this will eventually get replaced with when one comes along for the right price.

Speaking of scuttle shake...

IMG_2528.JPG

That looks very much like a Saab 9-3, 93 or 900 handle ... Which cars are known for their scuttle shakes!

post-17519-0-61578800-1503007999_thumb.jpg

Correctomundo!

Complete with a rather knackered one of these...

post-17519-0-55870400-1503008065_thumb.jpg

A few days ago, one of the Moog's colleagues had a ftp in this....basically, the timing chain no longer times anything. Cue Will being offered it for scrap money before it got hauled away for bean cans. To cut a long story short, Mrs Moog didn't really fancy a dead Saab in her front garden (oo-er!) so it was offered over here.

Well, how could I say no? It's actually really tidy...apart from the obvious issue, the only other thing it would benefit from is some tyres. A full set of of brand new Goodyears on immaculate 9-3 alloys are currently sat in the corner of my garage, removed from a knackered 2004 9-3 aero which went over the bridge earlier this year. Omen or what?!

At a guess, it's lunched the timing chain guide which means bent valves etc. The plan is to get hold of a complete engine, ideally in a car that I can hear run, then strip and rebuild this one using the donor and with new chain, guides, head gasket etc, before weighing in the remains to offset the costs.

Updates to follow once it's undercover and some investigative dismantling has occurred...

I can't believe nobody has burned the number plates on the C124 yet.

Hideous, isn't it? The back one is ok but I'm not sure where the front one came from....it's almost 'home made' ?

There's quite a bit of welding required unfortunately, hence the slow (stationary) progress whilst I find the time to buy a MIG and more importantly teach myself to use it. Hence no real rush to sort out the plates....

Keeping the theme going, here's what's residing in the yard at work...

attachicon.gifIMG_2357.JPG

Having finally rebuilt the engine last month, its now running quite nicely so next up is a 2.5 turbo conversion, the bits for which are lurking in the back, along with a nice pair of Alfa 156 seats and a pineapple for the roof.

Then, it's respray time. Currently favouring Nissan cafe latte which is a nice metallic coffee colour as seen on Notes and X-trails. Having said that, it's taken a while to get to thus stage so fashions/tastes may well change again.

attachicon.gifIMG_2359.JPG

This is currently lined up for Autotesting duties with Moog later next month. It's sporting a roll bar set up from TamworthBay and not much else at the minute.

As shonky as it looks, it's remarkably solid underneath, and with values of early Mk1s now increasing slightly, its future is fairly assured.

Finally for now, we have MrsNJGleeds' daily...

attachicon.gifIMG_2358.JPG

Other than my old V70, this is probably the longest serving member of the fleet. She loves the car and indeed used to like the number plate until a neighbour commented one day that it read SEX 4X in their rear view mirror!

Be interested to see how the van turns out, I normally am not a fan of metallic dark beige on a modern car, but I think it would look quiet good in that hue. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2533.JPG

Correctomundo!

Complete with a rather knackered one of these...

attachicon.gifIMG_2532.JPG

A few days ago, one of the Moog's colleagues had a ftp in this....basically, the timing chain no longer times anything. Cue Will being offered it for scrap money before it got hauled away for bean cans. To cut a long story short, Mrs Moog didn't really fancy a dead Saab in her front garden (oo-er!) so it was offered over here.

Well, how could I say no? It's actually really tidy...apart from the obvious issue, the only other thing it would benefit from is some tyres. A full set of of brand new Goodyears on immaculate 9-3 alloys are currently sat in the corner of my garage, removed from a knackered 2004 9-3 aero which went over the bridge earlier this year. Omen or what?!

At a guess, it's lunched the timing chain guide which means bent valves etc. The plan is to get hold of a complete engine, ideally in a car that I can hear run, then strip and rebuild this one using the donor and with new chain, guides, head gasket etc, before weighing in the remains to offset the costs.

Updates to follow once it's undercover and some investigative dismantling has occurred...

is it just the way its sitting on the truck bed or have the front coil springs snapped aswell?