1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - 6yrs ownership & the end is potentially nigh!

SiC

Fed up at staring at a glass panel all day, I decided to go up to storage and check out the B.
19a4d3ee4513b06d6d362707c34c2441.jpg

Oil level was at the minimum mark. Would love to know where it's disappearing to.
74505c000c2d2ae3f2ec6a7408d52051.jpg

Oil tray showed the usual leaks this has but certainly not the half litre that is missing.
df4e7991540bd89fe6bf6e0c98434cd4.jpg

Radiator seems to have a mystery leak when the car is sat. I've got a replacement in a box at home waiting till I get around to fitting it. This is never been serious enough for me to prioritise it.
ce94d39825d3322e2235df69c7cd112d.jpg

Especially as the level doesn't seem to drop.
429ea90e38bdb2a92cd9a6d56abdfae9.jpg

The battery charger keeps showing this error. Apparently it is indicating it isn't able to hold its charge after finishing the charge cycle. Given I've flattened this pack half a dozen times, it's no surprise that it's a bit ropey now. A replacement battery has already arrived from Tayna to go in when I have it back home next.
8e79b8ce8b4aec684b1f9ea957b39c9c.jpg

Also did the obligatory start up video complete with waffle about oil pressure. TL;DW only 40psi on startup, after drive it got to 50psi at idle but dropped when driven.

Thought I'd give this a run round on the back lanes to get everything moving. I'm lucky as storage is on roads that don't get gritted.

Have a picture of a muddy puddle.
9f8f6694166d696cbebf87ac753dabcd.jpg

• SiC changed the title to 1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - 2022 Season Starter
  • 2 months later...

Lovely looking B - I had a BGT as my first car as I was an idiot! Loved it until a Norfolk (Wroxham) local slammed into me on one of the many country lanes.....

On the oil loss - have you checked the bellhousing? The rear crank seals are not the most reliable things and it can seep out - not sure that would warrant so  uch either though. If it is that - you'll notice clutch slip as it'll get thrown all over the plate..... ask me how I know.

Best of luck with the electrics - I'm learning as you go

I think its a combination of everything. It doesn't chuck that much smoke out and only under hard acceleration. Certainly nothing like the amount being consumed. Consumption is worse when revved above 4k too. 

To be honest, it's probably not one big thing but a combination of many! Some leaking out the rear main seal, some out the rocker cover, some from (probably hard) valve stem seals and maybe some out of the oil control rings too.

15 minutes ago, SiC said:

To be honest, it's probably not one big thing but a combination of many! Some leaking out the rear main seal, some out the rocker cover, some from (probably hard) valve stem seals and maybe some out of the oil control rings too.

I should also add that this car sat from 2003 until just before I bought it in 2017. The guy who I bought it off got it off his friend. He got it running, driving and MOT'd. His friend used it a year and then parked it up. I don't know why but perhaps it was unreliable for him and he gave up quickly on it. Before him, pre 2002 was the first owner right from 1974. Unfortunately I have zero information apart from it was from Plymouth and a mechanic/owned a garage. 

But anyway my point was going to be to say that there is a good chance anything rubber on the engine has gone hard and leaking. So basically all the seals would be suspect and possibly all! It's why I think the engine would really benefit from a light rebuild to replace those seals, bottom end bearings and a new rocker shaft that has flat bottoms.

1 hour ago, N Dentressangle said:

My mate's B was throwing a lot of oil out of the breather 'system'. Bores are unworn, and problem seemed to be caused by a crap breather design rather than wear.

Might be worth a look.

I do suspect this too as it happens mostly under hard acceleration which points to the breather system. Iirc the mesh canister is mounted on the rocker chest cover but that's under the exhaust. So not that easily removed. 

All these type of things could be sorted by pulling the engine and doing a light rebuild on it. I strongly suspect my oil pressure is low purely because the relief valve seat is worn. Certainly the original plunger was very worn that I removed and likely that has worn into the seat too. It builds up to nearly 60psi at 1.5k then suddenly drops back until it's idled next which, in my mind, is the relief valve opening. 

Higher oil pressure should get more oil up on the top end and reduce some of the excess tappet clatter. 

7 hours ago, SiC said:

I should also add that this car sat from 2003 until just before I bought it in 2017. The guy who I bought it off got it off his friend. He got it running, driving and MOT'd. His friend used it a year and then parked it up. I don't know why but perhaps it was unreliable for him and he gave up quickly on it. Before him, pre 2002 was the first owner right from 1974. Unfortunately I have zero information apart from it was from Plymouth and a mechanic/owned a garage. 

But anyway my point was going to be to say that there is a good chance anything rubber on the engine has gone hard and leaking. So basically all the seals would be suspect and possibly all! It's why I think the engine would really benefit from a light rebuild to replace those seals, bottom end bearings and a new rocker shaft that has flat bottoms.

This is a similar history to the one I bought too - and as you know - the rubber seals on these, especially the crank rear, are twats for this. Mine seemed OK and wasn't using that much - but more failed catastrophically on an A1 run and the first following set of lights ...... sods law

I've read up on the detail you go into - so I'm sure you'll find the cause(s) - happy hunting!

• 3 weeks later...

With a new garage door fitted, I can now fit two cars in. So pulled the BGT out of storage for a service and check over.
d87f2b63044d46fc8f3a67e0a2007836.jpg
262a956b757eeb9ed986b16b7932d21f.jpg

While I can fit two cars, it is quite tight. I had to leave the window open and slither out!
d06be769e674634690ed40c0b64db739.jpg
54f4ac9e91d063b02a526744469989fe.jpg

This car really does like to leave it's mark.
996f41759f6ad8ce8a62eae2fe258a82.jpg

Did an oil change. Nothing too remarkable except I managed to do it not only avoiding spilling it all over the floor but also mostly being able to get it into a spare container.
c408d644864285119ab345495e2364ac.jpg

Used a MANN oil filter this time. I find the Moss filters drain back too easily and quickly. These are also easily got at my local motor factors.
676e21b6648a558e3a0670e68ae724e1.jpg

I bought an alloy rocker cover last year. Not so much for the bling but more because the heavy alloy should muffle the rattle from the valve gear.

These don't have a lip on the inside to hold the gasket. Instead I used a very light smear of hylomar to stick it in place.
417eebc5722a4f18f1efdc97e8ba2486.jpg

Fitting on found a problem. While it looked nice, the cover was touching the inlet manifold. Not exactly ideal and neither will it help reduce rattle, which was the reason I bought it in the first place.
7f423682ec2718b933cac1285ad11509.jpg
30f2b5ae0a0d6138889e0242a708c458.jpg

Out with the die grinder, I cut some notches into the cover that clear the intake manifold.
2f529a18418c4dbe8f9a4d28255d5a93.jpg

54e16f1a7319bf927386da955746af6d.jpg

The next problem is that the hardware supplied by Moss was the wrong kit. I needed the one for these later engines with the cross pipe.
bd5e23f5b802530850c730830ca5dfed.jpg

My current workaround is clamping the hose mount at the end. Seems to work till I can get another order in to buy the longer posts. Won't be long as I will need stuff for the MG Midget.
b789bd0a38e8a39ddf354ecbbe96a3a9.jpg

Greased the front and rear end.
4ee8e8f1619bd6ca749f907aa799b736.jpg
d070a97c9bbffe286455e914a708b181.jpg
b69d7db98522ba9079e355912ebaef92.jpg

Also cleaned up the headlight bullet connectors. I was intending to put a relay kit in but doing this has massively improved the light output. I intend to check at night and see if they're usable rather than candles that they were like before.
e280a83a888234119bf5a5c3b4bdd4a9.jpg
79eeebd822d935cc0d85210b660aee3a.jpg

The double Lucas joiners are worse for wear. I tried cleaning inside but I might just replace these for now.
4b3f5139735870cfee578af2e3df589f.jpg

Also noticed the alternator wires were a bit wobbly. Flowed some solder into them to firm them up.
9682c97a7b3a6169e5a84e7bb7892abf.jpg

While rooting around for the relay kit, I found the old pressure relief valve. I remember reading that some have shims at the back of the shuttle valve. Decided to see if mine did. Blew some air in and
c058e8b86c738a14a40f47334b1df953.jpg

The pressure relief valve lives down the side of the engine by the carbs. Not the easiest to get to, especially with the carbs in place.
0b6a58996c6097950e9471d14f466a16.jpg
69516f1e52df38ed2613114fef9d3df9.jpg

Still, I didn't want to remove the carbs. So went for it with just the air cleaners off.
f57d0927c865a35997c81930946d5ae8.jpg

Noticed that I had put a washer in for a shim. However this was 1.4mm vs the original shims 2.6mm.
2e596d42c708c99c4c328e3644d11a6a.jpg

When putting back on, I put a line on the cap to know roughly where the threads start. You have to push against the force while turning. Not easy when it's at arms reach and an awkward angle. Knowing the start position allows you only to need slightly turning it for it to bite.
873a9f37dd4e127cd558d49331f5ddb2.jpg

Once on, it was a matter of tightening it up and then 40lb.ft. The torque wrench was actually useful in its own right to get that tightened up. Problem is that you get one click either way. So tiny movements each time.
33408921193b01a2a1389b32cf069f98.jpg

With that done, time to start it up and see any difference. Thankfully a whole 8psi more. While not a huge amount, it will hopefully stay higher when warm. Unlike before where it started to drop below 45psi.
cd3700d017c4678200dec07fdc12e891.jpg

With that all done, it was time to give it a run and put it back down into storage. The plan was to take out the MG Midget and get that sorted.

Instead the little bugger did this to me. Pretty sure it was just jealous and throwing a strop because it was going back into storage. Just wanted all the attention rather than the Midget getting it.
d21a6a2188f084a10fa64a967240090e.jpg

Quickly diagnosed it was fuel related as no pressure in the fuel hose and no ticking from the pump. Turning over got it to splutter. All the problems I've had over the years with this at least have taught me enough to diagnose a roadside problem.
Didn't have any tools with me as it was supposed to be only a quick spin around the corner up to storage. Plus I'd had just gone over everything and should be fine, right!
Being fuel supply issues, I checked over the pump connections and all seemed fine. Had a quick check on the fuse box connections and as soon as I touched that bunch of connectors, I got a tickety pump back!
Had a fiddle with what I remembered the fuel connector is and the wire came out in my hand. Stuffed it back into the Lucas double bullet connector and drove back home.
63dcb327350dbd666955b35744d69f49.jpg

I had some odd misfires recently that I couldn't diagnose. Thought it was the dizzy cap but it wasn't in that bad a condition really. However in hindsight I think it may have been this connector playing up.

Out of four breakdowns I've had, three have been fuel pump related! First SU points duff, second was pump ground and then the third this.

• SiC changed the title to 1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - Service and ...(yet another) Breakdown
  • 3 months later...

Big day for my BGT. It's rolled over to 60k!
I've had it for 5yrs the other week and I was hoping to do something on that day. Unfortunately I was on holiday with family, so I didn't get a chance to make it roll over.

I've done almost 2700 miles in it since purchase. Paultry I know but I'll use the excuse that everyone always uses, that COVID got in the way.

Anyway it rewarded me with this milestone by losing a headlight (dodgy connection) and it appears to be leaking oil out of the cooler. Could explain why I get quite high oil usage sometimes!

I should also add that it's 31c out there and the temperature gauge was rock solid where it always is. About a third way around the temperature gauge. I don't have any doubt it can easily withstand much warmer temperatures than that.

672164aaa26e3734857f58c6d31922d8.jpg
187eedb464a3d6ff7cf2aae561152d5c.jpg
c4c5141ceca5ea84284eb94f156ac5b1.jpg
8ad790c62f6542f28229ad37291755dd.jpg
0db958a3aa7ff50f0e4012027e9363ec.jpg
eb499127d9ccab6a7de71bf0d4afe5df.jpg

This is now the longest I've ever owned a car. Even cars I intend to keep for a long time end up getting written off or catastrophically fail. 

HOWEVER I've hardly used it this year! In truth I think my time with it may come to an end soon. I simply have not really had any urge to take it out anywhere recently and even today, driving it didn't excite me like it used to. I still don't have 100% trust in it either. Always in the back of my mind that it'll suddenly let me down. 

The MGB60 is next month and I'm booked in. Definitely going to (attempt) to make that. After that? I really don't know. 

Not sure I want to keep it. But the mental thought of selling it and someone else driving it away makes me a bit sad. It would be like saying goodbye to a prodigal friend who you've had a mixed relationship with at times.

• SiC changed the title to 1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - A Special Moment and it's Future
Just now, SiC said:

This is now the longest I've ever owned a car. Even cars I intend to keep for a long time end up getting written off or catastrophically fail. 

HOWEVER I've hardly used it this year! In truth I think my time with it may come to an end soon. I simply have not really had any urge to take it out anywhere recently and even today, driving it didn't excite me like it used to. I still don't have 100% trust in it either. Always in the back of my mind that it'll suddenly let me down. 

The MGB60 is next month and I'm booked in. Definitely going to (attempt) to make that. After that? I really don't know. 

Not sure I want to keep it. But the mental thought of selling it and someone else driving it away makes me a bit sad. It would be like saying goodbye to a prodigal friend who you've had a mixed relationship with at times.

Depends really. Old tackle is demanding of time and you've a lot on in that respect.  End of the day if you like the sprint and midget more then it is what it is 

Just now, Matty said:

Depends really. Old tackle is demanding of time and you've a lot on in that respect.  End of the day if you like the sprint and midget more then it is what it is 

The Sprint should kind easily replace this. Faster, more fun, stands out and Webasto. Once it's (ever) done...

Midget I'm really looking forward to getting on the road. Potentially a keeper but then I really absolutely would love a Frogeye. Zero justification to keep a Midget and Frogeye though. (Plus Frogeye are expensive)

I could have this languishing in storage, a bit like now. Just at £70 a month, it would be a waste of money really. 

No idea on its value really. I guesstimated at £6500 for insurance but I wonder if that is a bit low admittedly. Thing is if I sell, I know it'll end up just being spent on another round of fertility treatment. While something that hopefully have reward, it's depressing when it doesn't and you've just spent a shite load of money for no outcome!

Won't be going this year but I'll have to make a decision next. 

Did you ever find the oil leak? I had a weird one a few years ago on a mini and took a corner a little enthusiastically and a pint of oil ran out of the dash and into the footwell. The gauge was reading a bit low, the level had dropped a little and I though oh dear tired engine. Anyway turned out the capillary tube to the gauge had come loose.  

16 minutes ago, bangernomics said:

Did you ever find the oil leak? I had a weird one a few years ago on a mini and took a corner a little enthusiastically and a pint of oil ran out of the dash and into the footwell. The gauge was reading a bit low, the level had dropped a little and I though oh dear tired engine. Anyway turned out the capillary tube to the gauge had come loose.  

I'm wondering if it's spraying out at speed and higher pressure from that oil cooler. And/or seeping out when stood. Given the amount of dead flies down there, it likely has been there a while and while in storage. Definitely could feel oil on some of the fins higher up. 

Debating whether to change just the cooler or the hoses as well.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Debating whether to change just the cooler or the hoses as well.

The MGB does not need an oil cooler for normal road use.

It was fitted as a belt-and-braces precaution when the 5 bearing engine was introduced, as a result of bottom end problems with the early 3 bearing engine.  And it has continued ever since, because sportscar.   In reality, the oil will take longer to get up to working temperature, if it ever does.  You would need an oil temperature gauge to observe this of course.

Thousands of identical 1.8 B series engines went into Marinas without oil coolers, and there were no problems as a result.  Admittedly oils have improved meanwhile.

You are better off without it. 

But no MGB enthusiast will believe that.  Cue: "Yes I hear what you are saying, but...."  so I'm wasting my breath.   Btw. I am an ex owner.