Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

Love that.Never mind 'Mind That Child', theres no way i'd let my kids go near anyone who was piloting that. in fact someone should point it out to home secretary John Reid as i would bet money it contains one of his escaped mentally ill sex-offender asylum-seeking type characters.

• 2 weeks later...

A Crayford William or whatever the thing was called, how quaint, but that modern Ligier Ambra is neither big nor clever. It's bloody dangerous with its 505cc Diesel and auto box, top speed of 55MPH and "Corsa dropped face first down a mine" looks! They take a good hour or so to reach their cruising speed too, and are one of the few cars that are really too shite for words, and not in an affectionate, teasing way.Walking is more pleasant and much quicker, and this from the boy whose legs don't work that well. Get these micro-cars off the road and bring back hanging for anyone who takes one on a Motorway. :twisted:

A Crayford William or whatever the thing was called, how quaint, but that modern Ligier Ambra is neither big nor clever. It's bloody dangerous with its 505cc Diesel and auto box, top speed of 55MPH and "Corsa dropped face first down a mine" looks! They take a good hour or so to reach their cruising speed too, and are one of the few cars that are really too shite for words, and not in an affectionate, teasing way.Walking is more pleasant and much quicker, and this from the boy whose legs don't work that well. Get these micro-cars off the road and bring back hanging for anyone who takes one on a Motorway. :twisted:

You think the Ambras are bad? Whilst living in France in the mid-'90s I had occasion to drive an Aixam 325i. They were classed as mopeds and one could therefore drive them at age 14 with no license, but they cost as much as a real car so few 14-year-olds bothered with them. Anyway, this thing had a single-cylinder 400cc Lombardini diesel making 5bhp (yes, that's five bee aitch pee) and had a top speed of 32mph. And it took the best part of a minute to reach that heady velocity. Trying to thread it through rush hour French traffic was a test of nerves - I don't think I've ever felt so vulnerable, not even my Bond 875 felt that unsafe. If that's not bad enough, when Aixam (and Ligier for that matter) first started out making microcars in the '70s and early '80s, they were fitted with 50cc Mobylette engines which made about two and a half brake. I don't even want to think about how they must have driven... :shock: By the way, I didn't think those things were allowed on motorways? They're classed as a quadricycle under EU law (B1 license) and should therefore be banned from all expressways.

You think the Ambras are bad?

Just a bit! The B1 licence thing applies to anything with an unladen weight of under 550Kg, regardless of output, so even a Reliant kitten estate at 540 can be driven on a B1, The whole thing is a bit of a grey area though, and quadricycles are something different again, yes, drivable by someone on a UK B1 licence, but the Ligier and its similarly slow competitors are specced up for the UK market (indeed the petrol Microcar with injected engine and rare, manual option, has a heady top speed of 72MPH, same as specified for the CVT version, but probably more able to do it!) so don't qualify as quads in EU countries where such things exist.This means that, Horror of horrors, technically, the Ambra could be driven on a M-way, where the minimum legal limit is 30MPH. That said, I think anyone who does drive such a slow thing on a M-way is being grossly irresponsible, as is the public use of anything slow enough to hold the Rebel up on a long incline! Only 'K' category licence holders are actually forbidden to drive on M-ways, a bit of a travesty but that's the way it stands.

Oh right. Fair enough. I'd never really looked into the legal status of the things over here as I've never seriously considered owning one. I just assumed the law was the same across the EU. I don't think I'd have the bottle to take one on a motorway anyway...

My Dad had a Stanza once, when it was almost new during the mid '80s. What a pleasant car that was, I borrowed it once or twice and liked it lots, must just go and look for the link to that eBay one.........Well you never know, it might be worth looking at. Er, for a friend, who has the urge to own one, I don't mean that it's for me, honestly. :oops:

Had a quick look at that Stanza, damn! It's a nice one. Double damn - Bridlington isn't that far away. Help me, the voices, telling me......bid for Stanza, need Stanza..... :P Deffo on the watch list!

wuvvuma stepper motor is a motor thatsteps ie rotates a set ammount for each inputthey are used widely in mech systems to open and close thingswe use them on air con plants to increase/ decrease load in small incrementsmind u i dont know what they are used for on the bishi unless its an electr mechanical throttle or some thing

That Stanza looks like a goodun, probably better than my Accord although maybe not so nippy and there were issues over the handling at the time - lots of understeer with a quick switch to oversteer should it hit a bump! I have an article about it, problems with the geometry and bush compliance. This is a non-PAS model, not sure if they suffered quite so much.I'd have it if I hadn't got the Accord - I deeply regret not buying a tidy one a year or so back.

I've got custody of JonCedric's X-reg Stanza this week. I can confirm the handling is dire! Feels like its going to go totally out of control if you take a corner at anything approaching 'speed'. Still a nice car though! I'd defo pay £150 for one.Would you mind doing us a scan of that article SL?

I've got custody of JonCedric's X-reg Stanza this week. I can confirm the handling is dire! Feels like its going to go totally out of control if you take a corner at anything approaching 'speed'. Still a nice car though! I'd defo pay £150 for one.Would you mind doing us a scan of that article SL?

Don't think I've seen that one, post a piccy? Remind me about the article, just about to launch into a full-on sorting frenzy as I'm going to start listing stuff on eBay this week.