Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

The fixing clip design is frankly rubbish - it may keep tension when they are brand new, but the minute they have come off once and gone back on again, they ping off with the slightest provocation. Given the cost of replacements from Peugeot is on a par with OEM wheeltrims (i.e. £20-£25 each), most people just don't replace them, although secondhand ones command good prices on eBay. I was lucky to cobble together a full set for about £30.The accepted remedy - which I have employed on mine - is to drill a 3mm hole through the cap and into the face of the alloy, then insert a suitable self-tapper. You just need to make sure you have a suitable screwdriver somewhere in the car if you should get a flat tyre...

Hmm, that 405 Exec looks temting. DANGEROUSLY nearby too, though it's location in the Hertfordshire sticks measns it's likely to have led a hard life, that part of the world has notoriously SHIT roads. I shall watch with interest, and maybe take a look if I pass that way.

You could always have a second crack at my "spare" one Pog, now it has resurfaced on the R-R classifieds...That Executive doesn't have a towbar, which may mean it has led a decent life, but perhaps not - could always have been removed I s'pose. Oh, and the "bolt heads through the side of the bumper" means that a love tap with a shopping trolley or similar has wrenched the bumper side mount from it's plastic lugs - it's the weakest piece of engineering ever, so doesn't (necessarily) mean the car is a rebuilt writeoff. My estate sports something similar since the rollaway incident :roll:

Sorry - I wasn't suggesting it hadn't been restored, just that considering the description says it was only used for six months after the resto, then stored until now, you wonder about just how 'extensive' the restoration work was - or how dry the storage?.I'm not suggesting the seller is being dishonest - far from it - the photo clearly shows the extent of the rot down there.

I think what I meant was that it's not within the realms of possibility. In the words of Gregory House, "people lie, all the time!"Also, if it had been restored 10 years ago to how it had left the factory, then there would have been the same amount - i.e. sod-all - rustproofing on it!I do agree though that there's a lot of crustiness for a 6 months-use "restored" car.

Anyone who does welded repairs to a car and either doesn't chop out all the rot or fails to use any kind of rust protection afterwards is a fool. The moment you chop and weld a shell, even if you have cut out the rot, you rener it far more vulnerable to rust that it was from the factory. Any kind of phosphate coating of pre-dipped treatments are lost right away. That's why areas of cars that have been subject to accident damage repairs in the past are usually the first to rot. When I was doing some repairs on Mikes Datsun 1200 estate, it turned out that it had had the sills replace FIVE times! :shock: If they'd done it properly the first time it'd have still been fine now. Worst thing about that 17 i suspect, isn't going to be the rot, it'll be chopping out all the previous half arsed repairs :lol:

And some 'restorers' hoodwink owners into believing their car has been restored as it looks all sparkly when it's done. And those owners can be excused for taking that to be true when they've payed a lot of money for the work.I looked at an R8 owned by a Sid 'n' Doris couple who'd had it from new. It looked lovely and they'd payed a fortune for a full restoration - but all it had was new panels and paint - underneath that the structure was left completely shot. I felt very sorry for them.I agree though Mr Coli - my 'quick' repairs to my old hacks usually need a lot more weather proofing than they get, but then, probably like yourself, I'm not 'restoring' them, just keeping them hobbling along! :wink: Apologies - a bit O/T. :oops:

And some 'restorers' hoodwink owners into believing their car has been restored as it looks all sparkly when it's done. And those owners can be excused for taking that to be true when they've payed a lot of money for the work.I looked at an R8 owned by a Sid 'n' Doris couple who'd had it from new. It looked lovely and they'd payed a fortune for a full restoration - but all it had was new panels and paint - underneath that the structure was left completely shot. I felt very sorry for them.Apologies - a bit O/T. :oops:

I used to work in restoration and that company started down the road of somewhat shoddy repairs rather than proper restoration. I left.

Wow, is that the continuation of the Rayton Fissore (I think someone on here had one of those) or before that one?

Edit: Here's some info

"I believe that those taillights are either from the Fiat Uno or Fiat Tipo."

They're from neither. European models used Citroen BX taillights. The US models were slightly different with extended reversing lights and no rear fogs incorporated into the cluster. [/quote from some US forum]

Guest greenvanman

Posted Image

I presume that one's been rear-ended at some point, or did they just use 'it fits where it touches' as the tolerance for build quality?