Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

Brakes, ah!First they were stuck ON. Now they are stuck OFF.Basically the caliper seals are kippered and gunked up, plus the master cylinder is in need of some love.I've all the bits to do it with (master cyl rebuild kit plus 2x caliper rebuild kits, AMD brand spanker new discs & pads to go on...), but I can't muster any enthusiasm to crack on with it. And I'm too poor to pay someone else to do it. I'm terrified of brakes, TBH, and finding the time (and space!) is an issue. So it has been sitting in the field rather folornly next to your old Mitsi Sigma for the last couple of months. Which is not good for it. :(

I'm terrified of brakes, TBH

Ditto. Otherwise I'd have a bid on it myself. I'm going to have a go at doing the brakes on the Daimler, but that's because the rear brakes are operated by rods rather than hydraulics, so if I bollocks up the master cylinder rebuild I'll still have some stopping power there when it goes pop. Brakes are the main reason the Saab 99 hasn't been MoT'd - and it's discs all round on that so even worse.

Come on boys! Brakes are not so bad. If you have got a vice, some WD-40, some copper grease and some hammers/spaners/screwdrivers theres not a lot you can't do on the braking front.That said, Saab front wheel handbrakes are a right pain in the arse to get right, just fiddly though not especially brain busting. Wish I was a bit closer to you both, i'd come and give you a hand.

Rather lame excuses I know. But nothing ever seems to go "as planned"...For instance, if I want to do the brakes at home, I have to (a) pray for good weather & suffiecient TIME to do the job(B) Sweet-talk SWMBO into using the Focus to drag it back with © Leave another car on the street whilst I do the work, which will inevitably upset the neighbours...

Eventually, yes. For now I'm just getting rid of a few of the projects I bought to keep me busy during the long hot summer weekends :roll: , and which would probably deteriorate enough over the winter that they'd be completely beyond me by next summer. I think the Saab 99 and the Mobylette will be going shortly as well. The 245 may or may not be going depending how much it needs for a ticket, and the Trooper will be going sooner or later, although I haven't decided yet whether to attempt to repair it first or just cut my losses and flog it as it is. Once I've forked out to put the Saab 9000 back on the road, what little I have left after paying my eBay fees will hopefully be ploughed into something interesting and unusual. But that's probably a couple of months away yet.

That Rayton is absolutly fantastic :D Loving the series 1 BX rear lights..

Are they? Or aren't they MkI Fiat Uno ones?
Nope. Definitely BX. In fact I was half thinking about purchasing a set of Mk2 rear light clusters to modernise the old crate a bit. Obviously not going to happen now though.

Now no-one needs to convince me of the shite credentials of the Alfa 6, it's up there with the Tagora, the Renault 7, the Chrysler 180......

However, something those cars have got in common is that I've never seen any of them in the flesh (to my knowledge), therefore it makes it a bit harder for me to relate to & appreciate them.

That's why I have to put my shite blinkers on, look beyond that Alfa 6 & say that I absolutely, positively, catergorically, without a moment's doubt, would take the Simca 1100 VF2 van next to it! Wow!

To me that car based cube van is the 'gold fillings in the hen's teeth!, the 'sweetcorn in the rocking horse's poo', the epitome of light commercial shite! Dig it! 8)

Anyone seen one over here recently? :(

That Rayton is absolutly fantastic :D Loving the series 1 BX rear lights..

Are they? Or aren't they MkI Fiat Uno ones?
Nope. Definitely BX. In fact I was half thinking about purchasing a set of Mk2 rear light clusters to modernise the old crate a bit. Obviously not going to happen now though.
Ok, I just read it somewhere else that they were, that was all. Made sense them both being Italian n all! :roll:

I absolutely, positively, catergorically, without a moment's doubt, would take the Simca 1100 VF2 van next to it! Wow!

To me that car based cube van is the 'gold fillings in the hen's teeth!, the 'sweetcorn in the rocking horse's poo', the epitome of light commercial shite! Dig it! 8)

Anyone seen one over here recently? :(

No, but there was a pickup on the Bay last week - that's got to be almost as good as the van? Especially with the "home made" look of the back of the cab.

Ooooooooh, yes please!! love the Ello! plate. :Dhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1987-RENAULT-25-G ... dZViewItem

Didn't get any bids. Might give the seller a buzz tomorrow and see if I can't persuade him to sell outside of eBay. Naughty I know, but I've always liked to live dangerously...
What's the difference between that & responding to an ad in your local rag or in the Auto Trader, or in a local layby? They're all 'outside of ebay'!

Ooooooooh, yes please!! love the Ello! plate. :Dhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1987-RENAULT-25-G ... dZViewItem

Didn't get any bids. Might give the seller a buzz tomorrow and see if I can't persuade him to sell outside of eBay. Naughty I know, but I've always liked to live dangerously...
What's the difference between that & responding to an ad in your local rag or in the Auto Trader, or in a local layby? They're all 'outside of ebay'!
Well, for one thing buying a car from a local layby is a f***ing stupid thing to do, but that's beside the point here. What I mean is that eBay don't like you contacting people who are selling items on there to try and arrange a sale outside of eBay. They bang on about how both parties lose fraud protection and whatever else, but we all know that it's because they throw a paddy as soon as they think they're going to lose out on their fees. So they post all these dire warnings up about not accepting offers to buy outside of eBay, and now they won't even let you email an eBay member who you haven't recently bought something off. Fortunately in this case the seller's phone number is in the listing so I can call him.

and now they won't even let you email an eBay member who you haven't recently bought something off. Fortunately in this case the seller's phone number is in the listing so I can call him.

See, this narks me most.....how are you supposed to decide on what you want when you can't ask questions! I had somebody email me through eBay asking about my personal experience with another eBayer from whom they were thinking of making a purchase but noticed in his feedback that I was a recent 'trading partner'. Or to be more specific about the only recent English 'trading partner' they'd had recently, so it was me they asked (don't know why they weren't happy enough just reading my comments!). That's all fine & dandy except when I tried to reply, the b*stard system wouldn't let me! :twisted: I tried every possible route to answer them (without having their email address) but there was no way through to them, so I really don't know how they were able to contact me at all.I was extra keen to stand up for my French 'trading partner' with whom I'd dealt several times & found the service impeccable......but I wasn't able to, and of course without having any means to tell them 'off eBay' it would have also made me look a bone idle arse who couldn't be bothered to answer their message they'd taken the trouble to write! :evil: I never did check his feedback to see whether they'd decided to buy from him, unperturbed by my lack of support! :roll: