Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

I've always wondered why Vauxhall separated the L and S that way? Could you get an L without the S?

My memory may be playing up here, but wasn't the S OHC and the E OHV? So an S L is an OHC L, etc.
Pete-M your memory is spot on.And the astra is class! 8)

Posted Image

1993 Austin Maestro 1.3 Clubman

This would be a better wedding car, at least it's clean and tidy.

With the Accord gone and the Sunny playing up, that Maestro is calling to me big time. Wonder if I should.... :?
I know we usually worship shite here, but I bought a 1.3 Maestro once and really wished I hadn't. It wasn't a hateful car, but it was utterly uninspiring and just not very nice to drive.

I've got a mate selling a nice Citroen BX turbo diesel though...

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CADILLAC-SEVILLE- ... 0377508550

I think this would be just the job for driving about collecting 'insurance' money from shopkeepers and restauranteurs in the Poggleswade area.

I don't think that's a 1980 car - I'm pretty sure by 1980 Sevilles were FWD with that silly bustleback boot. I had one like that one ^ in 2001 - they're actually not a bad old thing, big enough to feel like a proper Yank but not so big that they don't fit on British roads. Handling isn't as dire as I'd expected either, although they're not quick for something with a 5.7-litre engine. Interior is wonderfully tacky too.

I don't think that's a 1980 car - I'm pretty sure by 1980 Sevilles were FWD with that silly bustleback boot. I had one like that one ^ in 2001 - they're actually not a bad old thing, big enough to feel like a proper Yank but not so big that they don't fit on British roads. Handling isn't as dire as I'd expected either, although they're not quick for something with a 5.7-litre engine. Interior is wonderfully tacky too.

DVLA says 1978. It must have been in the country since 1980, imports, write-offs, kit cars etc were given current registrations back then.

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0402839152

Yeah, I know this is really pushing the boundaries of "autoshite", but anyone got any ideas how I can sell the idea of one of these to Mrs_Pog?

It's all the things I could want... toys galore, hoofingly fast, safe, reliable, family friendly.... but I can't get any interest from the keeper of the purse. Because it's twice the price of our current family chariot, and her argument is that you can't ever use that performance so we are better with 90hp of diesel... :twisted:

My friend looked at buying a 9-5 estate recently, apparently they suffer terribly from the oil sludging up, causing the turbocharger, then engines to seize. There is a catalytic converter mounted under the oil sump which boils the engine oil. They are only happy with fully synthetic oil, but lots of people change the oil with semi-synthetic.He ended up winning one on eBay but it ended up with a catastrophic turbo failure while the seller was driving it from one spot to another. They refunded his £120 train fare.

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0402839152

Yeah, I know this is really pushing the boundaries of "autoshite", but anyone got any ideas how I can sell the idea of one of these to Mrs_Pog?

It's all the things I could want... toys galore, hoofingly fast, safe, reliable, family friendly.... but I can't get any interest from the keeper of the purse. Because it's twice the price of our current family chariot, and her argument is that you can't ever use that performance so we are better with 90hp of diesel... :twisted:

Sorry, but Mrs Pog is absolutely right here. They're truly horrible - I don't care if they're fast. It's a barely disguised Vauxhall. The controls feel horrible. The engines sound horrible. Thankfully it is at least a manual as the auto 'box is rubbish. As has been said, they're not actually reliable either. Last one I drove had knackered air con and needed the dash out to fix it. It was unrefined and while it cruised nicely enough, overall, it was pathetic. I expect much more from a modern car. Saab. Ruined by GM.

I agree with 'wobbler on the Saab issue. I had been eyeing one from the corner of my office and thinking that I wouldn't mind one of them in a year or two.So I decided to take it for a spin. The most disappointing thing I have driven this year :( Flimsy, cheap feeling controls, hopeless over bumps, steering couldn't decide where it wanted to go - certainly not in a straight line anyway, not even especially comfortable and nothing to elevate it above a Vectra / Mondeo / Laguna. To be honest, I felt incredibly let down by it.Don't do it.

That's my old 401, I sold it mot and taxed on ebay about 6 years ago, the guy drove down from Scotland for it, from the pics I would say he's done nothing with it, still has the nasty black seatcovers I put on to keep from getting my backside covered in crap. It should fetch quite a few grand, Bristol values are on the way up, wouldn't surprise me if it gets to 6K, the engine on it's own could go for more still.

Posted Image

In my experience a major cause of these things knocking out their cranks and/or turbos is the crankcase breather becoming blocked, due to the aforementioned oil sludging. If the oil is changed regularly with decent quality stuff and the breather is kept free they should go on for ages - although I'm not convinced a 9-5 would still be holding together as well at 270K as my 9000 is.

As spotted by louise2cv:

Posted Image

And another! These things are fugging everywhere...

Posted Image

That blue one is a right-hooker though - you've got more chance of spotting a rocking horse shitting out hens' teeth than you have of finding another RHD Innocenti. But alas two bags is far too much for something in that condition.

I spotted those 'centis last ight after i saw your one. i would've thought 2K would be pretty strong money for a left hooker in good nick, but i might be wrong. It's hard to put a price on something like that.and as for that Y10.... i was just thinking the other day how much i'd like one of those one day but i assumed that they'd all disintergrated. Looks like a solid old thing too. Wonder if it'll go for silly money...