Cavalier 4x4

sierraman

Ahh a TG test...

Odd that as I've owned a Scooby & it makes a lot of difference in anything except warm dry conditions.

Scoobies have actual power though! In a 2-litre Mondeo, I think they were proving that yes, you might get away slightly quicker on a wet day, but you won't go around a bend any quicker (tested on the turning circle at MIRA I think).

Guest Hooli

Scoobies have actual power though! In a 2-litre Mondeo, I think they were proving that yes, you might get away slightly quicker on a wet day, but you won't go around a bend any quicker (tested on the turning circle at MIRA I think).

My Scooby was a 2.5 n/a Legacy, did about 120 so the same performance as a mundano.

It was much more sure footed in the wet & was able to get out of a wet junction in a way a fwd never can.

Nope. FWD only for the most part, even if the propshaft is actually fitted.

I remember Top Gear doing a test of these everyday 4x4s, proving that they didn't really offer any tangible benefit over the 2WD version most of the time. As a fad, it didn't last very long, though no-one told Subaru...

Are you sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Wikipedia

made available was a four-wheel drive system, fitted to a 2.0iL model (8 valve SRi spec) and on a version of the GSi 2000

It was L trim, which meant 14 inch steel wheels and and SEH 130 BHP 8V

A bloke (now a good friend) I worked with had a low mileage one he got VERY cheap when almost new.

His boss was a Japanese Bloke over in the UK on an exchange visit as the factory he worked for in Japan were supplying tooling and manufacturing knowledge and product designs under licence.  His kids were enrolled in a local private school curtesy of said Jap company and he was told that being in Keighley he'd need a 4x4 because Yorkshire Snows.  18 months later he is told he needs to get back to the Japanese factory, sell the car for whatever he can get, take his kids out of school, and pack up, with one weeks notice.

It had about 15K on the clock. My mate had told him when he got it that it was his dream car but that he could never afford something like that.

So he is invited into his office, and told he can buy it.  My mate says I haven't got any money, and it might take me a couple of weeks to sell my car, and even then I can't afford it.  

He got it for about £2k when the retail value would have been £8 to £10K. 

He kept it 15 years.

If it hadn't got the 4x4 badges it would have been a proper Q car.

Nope. FWD only for the most part, even if the propshaft is actually fitted. 

I remember Top Gear doing a test of these everyday 4x4s, proving that they didn't really offer any tangible benefit over the 2WD version most of the time. As a fad, it didn't last very long, though no-one told Subaru...

My old classic Impreza was ridiculously sure-footed, wet or dry. I wouldn't been as confident with 225bhp solely through the front wheels.

L, GL, CD and Diplomat spec had the NE in 2.0 form, SRi had the SEH up to September 1992.  From the facelift there was an 8v SRi that had the NE and a 16v with the redtop that effectively replaced the GSi, which was dropped on the facelift.  

My old classic Impreza was ridiculously sure-footed, wet or dry. I wouldn't been as confident with 225bhp solely through the front wheels.

4x4 gives you better traction, it doesn't give you better grip. That's entirely down to suspension and tyres. It's also why an awful lot of BMW X5s crash when it's snowy...

Guest Hooli

4x4 gives you better traction, it doesn't give you better grip. That's entirely down to suspension and tyres. It's also why an awful lot of BMW X5s crash when it's snowy...

A properly setup system gives you a better balance of grip though. Hence 4x4s don't understeer or go sideways as much as 2wd cars. Still doesn't make you able to stop though which I think is what you were getting at.

A properly setup system gives you a better balance of grip though. Hence 4x4s don't understeer or go sideways as much as 2wd cars. Still doesn't make you able to stop though which I think is what you were getting at.

Well you do get 4-wheel engine braking, which the 4WD BTCC Audi A4s used to great effect. I think the BTCC Cavaliers used the 4x4 shells too but stil FWD - probably for the independent rear suspension.

Guest Hooli

Well you do get 4-wheel engine braking, which the 4WD BTCC Audi A4s used to great effect. I think the BTCC Cavaliers used the 4x4 shells too but stil FWD - probably for the independent rear suspension.

True, but with modern ABS I doubt that's of any help trying to stop a road car.