Pedal car shite - Getting ready to restore my childhood 'garden find' Sharna pedal car

Dick Longbridge

I popped up to my parents place after work yesterday. As I chatted to my father in the garden, I spotted my old pedal car poking out from under the hedge. It's become a laughing matter - my parents bought it new for me around 1978ish and it's always lived outside. I painted the plastic body in household emulsion in the mid 1980's and around the same time bodged the front wheels and steering wheel from a mate's old Sharna *Edit - turns out it was built by Raleigh* AA pedal car onto mine, as they were in better condition. This is identical to my mate's old one:

post-4721-0-90788500-1501070816_thumb.jpg

I tried skipping it in the late 90's as it's a damn eyesore, and useful to no man. However, my father started getting sentimental and asked me to leave it as it had lived in the garden for so long. His garden's immaculate, but the old car remained regardless. Fair enough. Here it is in 2003. It's now much the same, except for more derelict looking, and pretty much immersed in hedge.

post-4721-0-09836500-1501070855_thumb.jpg

For no real reason, I started looking at pedal cars on ebay last night. I guess I wondered if there were any similar models to my old one, of which there were none. I then spotted an AA truck like my mate's old one (the one I pillaged bits from when he was binning it). I then widened my search a bit, and soon discovered that Raleigh got in on the act in the 1970's, and the French built some fantastic models of their cars in the 60's and 70's.

post-4721-0-94704300-1501070950_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-69977700-1501070952_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-50766700-1501070985_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-17068400-1501070987_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-50032200-1501070987_thumb.jpg

Good grief those pedal cars are brilliant! The 2 cV and Renault 4!

I have an old metal pedal car up in my loft, no idea what make it's supposed to be. It looks like a Farina design at the back and a Fiat 1500 at the front. In fact next time I'm there I'll take some pics for anyone that wants it for free.

Good grief those pedal cars are brilliant! The 2 cV and Renault 4!

I have an old metal pedal car up in my loft, no idea what make it's supposed to be. It looks like a Farina design at the back and a Fiat 1500 at the front. In fact next time I'm there I'll take some pics for anyone that wants it for free.

Photos needed on here! I hope Mercrocker is able to take it on to make up for the loss of his original. Obviously he'll need to climb into it and recreate the original photo for our entertainment.

Oh, and if the deal doesn't work out, here's a Triang Zephyr 'fixer upper' for under £200 ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253023952319

post-4721-0-67230100-1501146261_thumb.png

post-4721-0-00513600-1501146279_thumb.png

Photos needed on here! I hope Mercrocker is able to take it on to make up for the loss of his original. Obviously he'll need to climb into it and recreate the original photo for our entertainment.

Oh, and if the deal doesn't work out, here's a Triang Zephyr 'fixer upper' for under £200 ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253023952319

Think the grandson might have to be substituted.....! 

For me, I mean - I can't see Mrs Rocker agreeing to swap him for a Triang Zephyr.

On the 'other beige' is a pedalcar thread. TR looking thing.

Dare to be there ;)TS

Do you mean this one? Not really a pedalcar (although the originals were)

post-3477-0-34358800-1501170534_thumb.jpg

I did a few bits to it, but have passed it on for a small profit.

I have bought quite a few old pedal cars over the years but generally pass them on.

My brother's children had a few off me and hopefully these will be used again by future generations.

I do still have this one which I intend to keep

post-3477-0-37340800-1501171311_thumb.jpg

I gave one similar to the Bermuda to my brother's children, although it was a two-tone green/off-white with a luggage rack, the front and rear panels where chromed. They also had another J40, a Jeep and wooden locomotive off me. I also had a Moskvitch as seen above, someone imported a batch of them in the late 80s early 90s. Another interesting one was a Peugeot 403 which I sold to someone in the Peugeot owners club. Also had several more J40s, a series 1 Land Rover, another Jeep (they have the same metal body,just different front wings/grille. I have had a few plastic ones as well, the last was a Triang Rolls Royce.

Identical to this one, similar nick but without the windscreen.

I had one of those!! I can remember, as a young lad, looking at every 'full grown' car to try and find a model called 'Bermuda'; never found one. But it may have sparked my interest in wheeled vehicles.

I later found out that there was a slightly shonky kit-car called a 'Falcon Bermuda'; and didn't Peugeot use 'Bermuda' as a limited edition name?

Not pedal shite, but just spotted this Triang Sharna Routemaster, which I had one of prior to the pedal car. Always liked the thing, but I never realised I was travelling on a Routemaster from an early age...until now. Still in my parents loft somewhere I reckon.

post-4721-0-00251000-1501235039_thumb.png

• 7 months later...

I tried skipping it in the late 90's as it's a damn eyesore, and useful to no man. However, my father started getting sentimental and asked me to leave it as it had lived in the garden for so long. His garden's immaculate, but the old car remained regardless. Fair enough. Here it is in 2003. It's now much the same, except for more derelict looking, and pretty much immersed in hedge.

Not been to look on here for a while but this came up in a search. I used to have one of these. The plastic went brittle in the sun and after a few accidents it had to be scrapped. Mine had an Anglia dashboard fitted in a bespoke housing.  I put some pictures from a catalogue on another site but photobucket ate them.