The end of shite!

Guest Hooli

Let me correct that for you.

Me, lots of others & the oil barons against 99% of the section of the scientific community THAT ARE PAID FROM climate change taxes. Lots of independent science to say it's bollocks.

Remember the increase* in global temps the other year? well if you discount all the sensors that had factories and other heat sources built next to them, the average temp went down by more than they claimed an increase. That's like saying it's a hot summer because I'm sweating stood next to the oven doing a roast.

Like I said, there is so much real environmental damage happening it's criminal to ignore that & go for this fake that just raises taxes.

Interesting that the oil companies were suppressing all this stuff 40 years ago when there was no CO2 based taxation...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/20/oil-company-records-exxon-co2-emission-reduction-patents

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/

https://news.vice.com/article/the-oil-industry-sought-patents-for-low-carbon-technologies-decades-ago-then-abandoned-them

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/oil_industrys_suppression_of_climate_science_20160413

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/06/science/exxon-mobil-under-investigation-in-new-york-over-climate-statements.html

400k miles in a Prius taxi with 25-30% battery degradation not good enough for you?

Also, how much does the Vauxhall dealer charge for a new engine for a Corsa?

Aye aw right Einstein.

Got a replacement engine for £50 which I will be fitting myself so you can still keep your electric car for now.

LOL

Aye aw right Einstein.

Got a replacement engine for £50 which I will be fitting myself so you can still keep your electric car for now.

LOL

Wouldn't that the be the second replacement engine for night-out money?

Didn't the first have issues...

Run away.

As fast as your legs will carry you.

Battery lease of at least £77 a month for ever more (for only 70% coverage), no rapid charging and Renault electrics.

Nope this is the only replacement engine. If you had read my thread you would see what went on.

I do apologise, I've not been following that thread.

Did you get 400k miles out of the engine before it died?

And what sort of guarantee do you get on a £50 engine?

Are you going to use the old engine as energy storage like you can with an EV battery?

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/bmw-is-turning-used-i3-batteries-into-home-energy-storage-units

No, why would I do that?

I don;t believe that an internal combustion engine (be it in a Corsa or a BMW) is at all compatible to en EV battery.

How many miles did you get out of the Corsa's first engine? 

95k, quite happy with that.

As for the replacement, no guarantee but that's what running old shite is all about is it not. If electric vehicles are being hailed as the future then all I was saying was that I'd be looking for some assurance that they were a viable long term ownership prospect as I wasn't convinced.

Anyway, I've read all your replies to this thread and they are interesting and would have gone some way to convincing me, unfortunately you spoiled it by being sarcastic, facetious and then had a dig at me personally.

So yeah, yay for electric vehicles.

Has the Corsa really only done 100k in 17 years and needs a new engine?

I don't understand why that's better than this 100k Nissan Leaf Taxi with all its battery bars (after 1750 rapid charges and 6000 AC charges) at two years old.

https://speakev.com/threads/c-c-taxis-100-000-mile-nissan-leaf-full-battery-included.8804/ 

95k, quite happy with that.

As for the replacement, no guarantee but that's what running old shite is all about is it not. If electric vehicles are being hailed as the future then all I was saying was that I'd be looking for some assurance that they were a viable long term ownership prospect as I wasn't convinced.

Anyway, I've read all your replies to this thread and they are interesting and would have gone some way to convincing me, unfortunately you spoiled it by being sarcastic, facetious and then had a dig at me personally.

So yeah, yay for electric vehicles.

Oh, I'm going to struggle not to be sarcastic now.

But hey, at least you've learned something about batteries.

And if you weren't being sarcastic should I take the "einstein" remark as a compliment?

There was a 10 plate electric Peugeot Expert van at the auctions earlier, ran out of charge and had to be pushed through, well I assume it was electric because it made zero sound when it was running and driving, and the number plates said "Allied Electric Vehicles" just to prove how far they need to go in the next 23 years. 

But hey I'll be 53 by then, I may well be dead by then with the poisonous atmosphere we will in, think id prefer that than live in this nanny state, big brother country we live in, soon theyll have us chipped like dogs and be able to tell when we take a dump!! 

How long before they do a u-turn on this, 20years ago it was buy diesel, its cleaner and better for the environment, now its buy a petrol car, becoming buy an electric or hybrid car, then itll be something else, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks its all ploys to make money out of us, get us to spend a fortune doing one thing, then they decide its a bad idea and get us doing something else and spending a fortune doing that, It may sound selfish but I like things the way they are, and dont want them to change really, but then ive never liked change. 

Oh feck.  I use an electric 12v lawnmower but still prefer a Sufflok Colt with a proper pez engine.

The world will be a quieter and cleaner place but boring as fook.  The glorius wiff of veggy based two stroke will never behold the nostrils of future generations.

As for electic aeroplanes, nahh, give me Rolls Royce engined Cessna anytime.  

Mind you, I was looking at an old boy riding an electric mobility scooter the orther day and thought 'oh shit', that might be me one day.  

Little did I realise the Govment will have me in a Tezzler' long before then.

Will they cost less than £500? Cos that's the most I've ever spent on a car, and I don't intend changing my modus operandi at this stage of my life.

Thats a very interesting question.

You might be able to buy that Renault Fluence up there for £500 in a few months, but you'd still be paying a battery lease.

Right now there is still so much value in the battery (even if significantly degraded) that cars you can fully own haven't dropped below £4.5k and £500 is mobility scooter territory.

In 15 years time one of two things will have happened;

Either batteries will have become so universal (we'll all have one under the stairs to harvest energy from the solar panels or even our own bodies) that electric cars will depreciate to a point of £500 rock bottom.

OR

A 20163 BMW i3 with 75% of its battery capacity left in the year 2032 will still be a valid commuter for those work less than 40 miles from home and thus still worth good money. Given that the drive train has less moving parts than the average turbo waste gate it should still be a good runner even if the sat-nav looks like it was drawn by a child with a crayon and it doesn't have a telepathic display screen, mothership connectivity and self driving capabilities. 

Inflation may mean that £500 is the equivalent of £2500 (what did £500 get you when you first started driving?) in 2032...

How long before they do a u-turn on this, 20years ago it was buy diesel, its cleaner and better for the environment, now its buy a petrol car, becoming buy an electric or hybrid car, then itll be something else, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks its all ploys to make money out of us, get us to spend a fortune doing one thing, then they decide its a bad idea and get us doing something else and spending a fortune doing that, It may sound selfish but I like things the way they are, and dont want them to change really, but then ive never liked change. 

Is this the peak?

Is now the best there will ever be and its all downhill from here?

Or is there a chance that something might be an improvement?

Look at the George Stephensons, Charles Babages, Nikola Teslas, Orville Wrights, Alan Turings and Stephen Salters of this world, and the receptions they received and tell me honestly that all that cynicism and disdain for new things is absolutely guaranteed to be 100% justified.

They'd have to make them durable because with how a PCP works you pay the depreciation over the 3 years or whatever, if it was fucked after 3 years it would be unselleable, so the PCP would be about £2000 a month.

It will be Hybrids that succeed in the end, they are the only useable method at the moment. I mean I could be wrong here but aren't Tesla still yet to turn a profit?

Tesla are very profitable, they've just reinvested every penny they've made back into the company rather than paying shareholder dividends.

Where did you get that information from?

https://ycharts.com/companies/TSLA/profit_margin

And that's without any serious competition, but they aren't standing still:

https://www.autovistagroup.com/news-and-insights/jlr-and-uk-government-announce-national-ev-battery-hub-plans

This shows that there is a great push to improve the technology for EVs and for once it appears that the UK can be in the forefront of it. EVs will become more and more mainstream as time passes and they become more capable, but Tesla are burning cash at such a rate that they are likely to become as much a footnote in history as the Detroit Electric.

Much as I love an internal combustion engines, Scania V8 on the pipe aaah!, they are very inefficient, 35% being pretty good.

Just as internal combustion took over from steam as it was more efficient so electric will take over for the same reason. Internal combustion enthusiasts are the steam enthusiasts of the future like it or not.

Sorry I've skipped a lot of posts so this might have been said but what's the point of banning petrol and diesel?

No doubt climate change is a thing it is proven but long term they can only predict what might happen no one can say for sure what will.

Air quality is bad*. Thousands of deaths are attributed to it each year, why? How do they get these figures? What disease and conditions does if cause or effect? And is air quality solely to blame?

What about other countries like China and India that have no restrictions of their massive industries and pollute both air and water to a degree that makes anything we do completely insignificant? To quote Tesco "every little helps" and it does but when the little is being over ridden by the many and is of no actual benefit to those being made to change what's the point?

We have one planet, we have the time to save it unfortunately people are greedy, tribal and stupid so it's not looking that good really.

China have put some pretty strict goals in for electric power too.

Anyway, imagine you're at school in a class of 30 kids. Everyone is behaving and doing their work, apart from one kid who is screaming and throwing stuff around.

Do you want all the good kids to keep being good and hopefully the screamy one will either fall into line, or be punished? Or would you just go "whatever" and just get everyone screaming as what's the point?

My favourite article on this is from Bennetts - surprisingly good journalism on a lot of things considering it's fluff for an insurance company,  I mean several steps above 'proper' news sites, like MCN imo.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/july/petrol-engines-banned-from-2040

The main bit from it that I agree with, is the date is arbitrary, they make the argument that either the market will create the infrastructure and veichles before that date and it won't need to be imposed or will lag behind so the date will be missed anyway.

The air quality deaths figures are mostly produced from "modelling". Models make a lot of assumptions and figures or predictions from them should be taken with a barrel of salt. There's a long read by someone who went deeply into those claims a while ago - http://euanmearns.com/mortality-from-diesel-car-pollution-in-the-uk/

At the same time air quality is improving (this is from the US but the same standards mostly apply here too 

https://www.epa.gov/air-trends/air-quality-national-summary),and fuel consumption is falling anyway.

All of that tapped if this move can improve it more then its a good thing.

I can't see the infrastructure being ready in time or us having enough power available for it. Remember as well as vehicles we are committed to cutting C02 massively in the next few decades, including the need to remove gas from household heating - which means more leccy needed to do that and we don't have enough now.

Pile on top of that no realistic cheap grid level storage and intermittent sources and its a complicated knot for anyone to solve. The other announcement on "Smart Energy" this week is uk.gov's best "guess" at how it could work, and its unimpressive.

Also worth watching:

As always the solution to literally everything is for there to be less people. The Japanese are being roundly criticised for their success in this field.

There appears to be the usual binary choice opening up, between a continuation of our consumerist approach, using fossil fuels, lots of electricity and having considerable choice to go about our lives in a more or very much less responsible manner. Or an increasingly intolerant, globalist, totalitarian society, very strictly moderated by a distant elite.

I think we will be dragged along eventually whether we like it or not. For anyone who is industrious, flexible, takes the initiative and likes risk it will be an incredibly dull, depressing world to live in where very little 'happens'. I find that now, never mind in the future.

Can we just make one thing clear - this has NOTHING to do with saving the planet. Regardless of what we do including nuking the fuck out of each other the earth will still be here long after humans don't exist.

So to be pedantic it's more about maintaining the earth in a condition where it is capable of sustaining human life for the long term.

The Earth is millions of years old and has changed many many times over its existence. Ice age for example. This whole climate change thing is nothing new.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk