Castrol Valvemaster

mercrocker

One of my regular suppliers is telling me Castrol have stopped producing Valvemaster lead replacement therapy.   

As I do not believe everything I am told, can anybody confirm this? 

Matey is telling me Millers VSPe is the recommended replacement.   

I got on well with the Castrol stuff and even made a little compartment for it in my toolbox so am reluctant to change because I hate progress etc. etc. 

If it's so, then I guess I will have to do what he says.

The Millers VSPe stuff is ok if you do swap to a new brand. I've been using it over the last few years in the Transit and Granada until I sold it on.

The good thing with the Valvemaster though was the little measuring thingy at the top of the bottle. The Millers doesn't have any of that.

VSP is pretty good stuff, know a good few people that use it with no problems. Should be fine for your fleet. 

Isn't the recent incarnation of this Millers product one of those that protects against the effects of bloody ethanol too?

If you don't really want to switch brands right now, I'm sure you could hunt around and buy up quite a stock of these. I'd bet there's still loads on shelves all over the place.

As you are near to my location, I'll keep a look out for any stock kicking about and drop you a PM if I see any. 

Thanks, chaps, it is indeed Opie who tell me it's stopped.   What can you believe from Garfield's dog, though? 

My main concern, slightly more seriously than the custom receptacle thing, is that I am under the impression switching brands/formulae is, or at least was not, recommended by Experts - the same Experts admittedly who told me my A and B series engines would be fucked within 2 years without T-E-L.  

Thanks for the offer, too, Dan. I am going to kick my local factors tomorrow and see what they can rustle up....

My main concern, slightly more seriously than the custom receptacle thing, is that I am under the impression switching brands/formulae is, or at least was not, recommended by Experts -

It's feasible(and I vaguely remember Watchdog or similar doing 'Potential Deathtrap!!!11one!!' features on the stuff when lead was first declared antisocial) that the differing chemistry of the brands might react with one another if mixed as a cocktail, but I can't see any problem with changing from one to another with a tank or two of untreated pez in between.