The origins of Tata's weird "Peugeot" engines

Lacquer Peel

The block and head castings are the same.  Machining is different, and the cam cover is a different shape, but in the same way a 1769cc XUD and a 2088cc XUD are not the same engine but are part of the same family, this is part of that same family of engines.  Which does matter, as it means that things like starter motors, alternators, water pump, cam belt, tensioners and other ancilliary devices are interchangeable with other XUD series engines.

Have you been deep inside the Tata engine to prove it? I'm only familiar with XUDs. 

I'm genuinely curious about this and would love to be proven wrong.

tbelt.jpg

Tata

b85izM4.jpg

XUD

Cross checking cambelts, water pumps and alternators, they don't even share these parts.

Rocker covers and manifolds are interchangeable cos some lad with a lotus 7 has an XUD in one with tata bits on it. I think he even swapped the head?

I have no idea where I read this, it might even have been on here!

RR... 'Fake 7' or somesuch... anti-se7en !

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/163442/diesel-kit-car-anti-se7en

TS

http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=6559

Still an active thread. Has a standard XUD in at the moment while the Tata headed, supercharged/turbo compound engine is being rebuilt.

I'm sure Photobucket have ruined the pics but he has some amusing videos to watch as well.

Edit. Pics seem to work on the first page.

post-20075-0-05671700-1500404530_thumb.jpg

I'd always assumed the Tata diesel was nothing more than a reworked 1948cc Indenor XD88 block, but looking at the table above the bore/stroke are completely different (the Indenor is 88mmx80mm), the identical capacities being merely coincidental.

The Tata shares its 83mm bore with the XUD9 (with a slightly longer stroke), giving some credence to the theory that it's XUD-based. But it weighs 80kg more than an XUD9TE which would suggest some serious beefing up has taken place, and that the blocks/heads are not identical castings.

http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=6559

Still an active thread. Has a standard XUD in at the moment while the Tata headed, supercharged/turbo compound engine is being rebuilt.

I'm sure Photobucket have ruined the pics but he has some amusing videos to watch as well.

Edit. Pics seem to work on the first page.

You utter bastaaaard.  There's a link on there to     Arduino controlled huge turbo'd XUD'd ZX   and  I can see the next year at work may not be too productive for my employer.

The Tata shares its 83mm bore with the XUD9 (with a slightly longer stroke), giving some credence to the theory that it's XUD-based. But it weighs 80kg more than an XUD9TE which would suggest some serious beefing up has taken place, and that the blocks/heads are not identical castings.

That would suggest the indians have substituted cast iron for alloy in at least one of the major castings.

• 1 month later...

Reading through threads like the ones linked above, all I can ever think is "where the hell do you get the time to do this???!"  He even commented at one point that things got put on hold when his son was born, so he clearly has a family.  I'm lucky if I get a couple of hours a week to do stuff for myself!