Improbable MPG Figures - Post Yours

Broadsword

1200 Lounge, worst built new car I've ever seen in years and, got to say, the ones I looked at when I took it in for service were probably worse in terms of fit and finish. Mrs BN has had various new Audis, MBs and Volvos in the past and was genuinely pleased with the first one.

I have a nasty arthritic condition too, the old one was fine for maybe 25 miles but I try to avoid going anywhere in this one - the seats are a definite downgrade from before. By contrast I did 400 miles in a day recently in my Kia without a twinge and would do the same in the DS if I wasn't convinced it would explode.

What really annoys me is that the reaction when she test drove the facelift car was 'not as nice as mine' but she STILL bought one. At least she's agreed that as soon as it's out of warranty / we get fed up with taking it back to have it fixed she'll have "something better" (her words).

The drive annoys me too, park tidily and I won't have to ask you to move....... there is room for ten cars out there so why am I blocked in......aaargh!

Glad you like yours, I can only think you may well have liked the pre-facelift ones more.

Possibly but she did drive a couple of pre facelift ones and I can't see much difference (I prefer the font on the earlier speedos but I am a bit sad like that). A friend has an older one and it's a bit rattley compared to ours but it has done 30,000 miles compared to under 1500. My Beemer will do more miles this month than my wife's has done in the nine months she has had it.

I reset the mpg on the gooner as I got on the m40 then did 59mph for the next 12 miles

post-5612-0-50776400-1500570957_thumb.jpg

It won't last though, already down to 47,and tomorrow I'm collecting a Kirby for repair that will entail driving up a fuckoff big hill!

Nice to see though

Last week I came around the corner of the lane, to see this in my way.

post-17612-0-49086800-1500573191_thumb.jpg

Yes I'd achieved 26.6 mpg in the first 1/4 of the tank (see fuel gauge to right) (82 miles)

Yesterday, on the next tank I was achieving this

post-17612-0-51028700-1500573145_thumb.jpg

I can reset the average consumption as I leave home on Monday and will gradually achieve 33 mpg down the m57, m62 and m6 until junction 16, when I come off and Head to Derby. For the rest of the week to and from my digs by the Boat Yard on the River Soar, it eventually gets down to 23 mpg.

@ New POD - Is that the 3.2 V6 OMGa?

The silver 3.0 Elite I had did 35.5mpg on the very careful lengthy drive back from a track day in south Wales.

It was a very careful drive. I did the track day on two part worns I'd bought just for that day.

I did 9mpg around the track.

Settles at 37.1. 78 miles into the 4th tankful after resetting MPG. No motorways involved, bit a nice mix of clear A/B roads with a touch of ring-road style town driving.

Didn't think that's too bad out of a V6 renowned for being thirsty.

Blimey! I never got better than 25 MPG out of my 2l V6, even on a run, and driving like granny on Valium.

The best I've seen out of my underpowered small diesel van is 45MPG. Poor. It is constantly thrashed however and running on veg. 

I'd call that a win still - you're effectively paying less for more fuel. 

Let me see what my fleet's like round the doors:

All time record in my C4 (before the engine shat its bottom end) was 59.5mpg. All time record distance on a tank was 803 miles. Average was 48-50mpg, poor was during the summer on a film set 5 up when I got 43mpg, record low was 11mpg driving flat out around Castle Combe with the air con on. 

Amazon was dog shit dismal with its microclimate total loss oiling system - though it was a damn sight more reliable than it is now. I reckon between 16-18mpg was what it was managing. The refreshed engine won't fucking well run for long enough for me to actually measure mileage; every time I take it out it breaks down. 

Leon only has 20k on the clock so I reckon the engine's still tight. Everyone else seems to be able to piss 70mpg from these engines; I average between 65-68mpg. 

960 does 26-27mpg, which is solid given its weight, ceefax aerodynamics, carrying capacity and 4 speed autobox. 

Piazza is currently managing between 30 and 33mpg on high octane pez, which is astonishing considering it's nearly done 160k and recorded test figures BITD of 21-22mpg. I swear 80s fuel was mostly wee and resentment. 

605 diesel hovered between 43 and 45mpg. I will have another 605TD which isn't made of despair and pigeon diahorrea welding one day. 

305 Auto: between 28-30mpg consistently. 

Knob_van: 40-42mpg, although Captain Slow got a bit more out of it. I suspect the Rallye wheels and tyres are gearing it up a bit. 

MGF VVC: between 31 and 35; most people with 'Fs get more but I doubt very much that they thrashed the living shit out of their cars like I do. THE NOISE, etc. 

SVX: never brimmed the tank before the gearbox checked out; I doubt it'll do more than 25mpg given that it has a 3.3-litre flat six, permanent 4WD, a dry kerb weight of 1620kg (nearly 200 key more than the 960, which was way lighter than what I expected) and a mard slushbox. I don't care, mind. 

Xedos was way better than expected, managing 31-33mpg even if belted. MX-3 was savagely crap given its performance: 27-28mpg was all it did. 

Disaster! Staying at a hotel at the Montserrat monestary has involved driving up and down the 1000 odd-metre peak a number of times. Although using the torque of the D5 to storm up a mountain is fun, fuel consumption drops to singles digits when you have a hooon on! On the plus side, diesel is 99.9 cents here.

Passat of boredom - trip from Embra to Oxford and back. I love it goes this far on a tank, just very slowly.

1.6 TDI unbroken by VW "fix" and will remain so.

post-111-0-46983900-1500631817_thumb.jpg

EDIT this is just after fillup before I reset it etc. Actual MPG was 1-2 less. I tend to stick to 70-75 where possible but got bored on the way back and the cruise went up to ~85-ish for the M74 bits otherwise maybe a 1000 mile tank.

Noticed recently my 116d has seemingly worn in a bit and it's now a bit more variable... Where I was getting pretty much 62-63 tank to tank (measured with fuelly) it's now really up and down. Last tank was a lot of motorway journeys, 65mpg. The one before had only a bit of around town (probably still 60% dual carriageway or motorway) bit dropped to 58mpg which is the lowest I've ever recorded in that car.

I've done more town driving before and got better mpg, hardly ever used to dip below 60

Guest Hooli

I manually checked the last tank in the Saab, including the day in the lakes it did just over 31mpg.

I've remembered another one from years ago, Midget 1500 that the book said 28-30mpg. It never did below 35mpg & once managed 48mpg on a long run at 70-75mph.

Settles at 37.1. 78 miles into the 4th tankful after resetting MPG. No motorways involved, bit a nice mix of clear A/B roads with a touch of ring-road style town driving.

Didn't think that's too bad out of a V6 renowned for being thirsty.

Not just Captain Slow, then. He got similar figures from his 75 and I called bullshit on it. 

A day of driving in the Lakes and 200 motorway miles at typical* motorway speeds returned 29mpg in the R8.

Between that and the rot stressing to set in it's starting to make me want a new car.

3SWMeqH.jpg

R8, Y U PISSHEAD? 

I LUV U NO MOAR. 

[sombre music] 

Uh. Not really. Short trips blast the MPG in this.

post-5454-0-21647900-1500671721_thumb.jpg

Probably doesn't help that flooring it at 60 returns rather low figures.

post-5454-0-82825400-1500671914_thumb.jpg

Ten years old, aerodynamic qualities of a block of flats and nearly as heavy.

Normally on a run, 17-19mpg which is what the paperwork says it should do so that at least is moderately accurate.

Phil

Not just Captain Slow, then. He got similar figures from his 75 and I called bullshit on it.

I got similar from my old V6 manual too, so they are capable of it. Brim to brim calculation gives the same result within .2 so I'm have its accurate.

Just hoping it means the engine is on good health for 106k!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3SWMeqH.jpg

R8, Y U PISSHEAD?

I LUV U NO MOAR.

[sombre music]

Calendar shot!

My gooner is back to its usual 39.1mpg,normality is restored! I did punt it up a hill so steep it didn't know what to do so just selected 2nd at 45mph on Friday evening though...

As a review to my last post, I decided to see what the old barge can still do. Everything off, windows open (early in the morning it's cool enough) and did the 35 mile round trip to grandmother's and back.

post-5454-0-08688600-1500813290_thumb.jpg

Driving carefully, keeping the most economical speed (about 40) and most of the time it stays in 4 cylinder mode..

post-5454-0-74263300-1500813404_thumb.jpg

That's 36.7 UK MPG.

Not bad from a 5.3, I've owned cars with half that engine size that would do worse.

Phil

My hypermiles of much monotony are well documented on here.

73.6mpg in the 2.0TDI Golf with the pengiun killing commonrail engine. 907.5miles on one tank from Glasgow to Portsmouth and back. It's not had the emissions fix applied and so it shall remain.

40.9mpg in the 27 year old 2.3 petrol automatic Volvo 740 at the last Cannock meet then 35mpg round the lakes the next day.

Can't knock that!

Do you feel it pick up onto all 8? or is just a smooth power increase?

It's actually pretty smooth, you can feel it when it's on 4 cylinders. The Dodge will stay on 4 longer, giving the whole Ford Corsair/Saab 99 experience.

It's not really that noticeable in the truck because it's running along at what's basically fast idle so it's not bad. In really dry air with the aircon off on decent fuel it's capable of about 26mpg at 55. That doesn't happen much down here with very moist air and crummy fuel.

Phil

Tried hypermiling........fun for a journey or two but just makes travel so boring. Good for driving skills though.

Mini d could easily do 58/60 mpg at reasonable speeds.

Current S type does 23 ish according to computer. Extra waft and comfort well worth it.

Chevy does not much and Rover does quite well. These two are based on a feeling with no data to support.

I just drove 278 motorway miles in an A4 1.9 TDI Sport (1998). I brimmed it before setting off, and the needle was exactly on 3 quarters full when I arrived. Impressed is an understatement, it's a 12 gallon tank, so I used 3 gallons. 92.6 mpg by my calculations - staggering!