Womanly 'clothes washing' & gearbox fluid question

Station

This is a slighly womanly question, but I'm sure some of you have thought about it. I was putting the gearbox back in, and the propshaft slid out (job needs five pairs of hands), including the entire contents of gearbox fluid. The whole floor got covered, and I got covered in my overalls. After twice in the wash, the smell is quite strong, and any other clothes my overalls touch contaminates them with the horrible smell. It's disgusting. I took them round to my folk's house so my mum could have a go at washing them (including the clothes I was wearing), and my dad banishing them from the house as they stunk the place out. I'd throw them out, but they've got a logo on the back and I like them (including the clothes I had underneath). Any ideas? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 156AAJezVy

Bicarbonate of Soda is usually good at removing smells, not sure how you'd do it with clothes but I'd be tempted to sprinkle loads over the affected clothes and leave them for a few days. Suppose with something like Febreeze is despite their bullshit you're really only masking the original problem and you'll smell like a perfume ponce.The Autoshite solution would be Shake 'n Vac surely? (by the way that is mainly bicarbonate of soda an' all apparantly)

No, the woman's tried it and failed. She tried some Vanish and Febreeze stuff which made no difference whatsoever. She is also complaining about the smell.It took me about four showers to get it off my skin. It's nearly EVERYWHERE, if it's even near any other clothes (including in the washing machine), it'll stink the other's out as well. For the first two days, it was a constant smell. Beware transmission fluid, it's really nasty stuff.

(they're crap, including Cillit Bang incidentally, which cleans NOTHING after all the claims on the advert)..

Cillit Bang is brilliant for cleaning wire wheels.
And penny coins, christ knows how I managed to keep my pennies clean before the arrival of Bazza Scott screamingCILIT BANGI still think bicarbonate of soda.

Maybe douse them in petrol or meths, put in a galvanised dustbin and apply a match (take then off first :wink: )

Correctorized.

Fuck the logo, they is toast. Before long your good lady will get pissed off with the stink /contamination and banish you from the bedrom / house / table to eat your tea etc...

Buy some more.

How big are ye? If yer fat bahoooosted size I can find some old warm worinkg under car clothes for ye. Honestly, its just not worth the grief - I shredded one of my favorite tops after the bike accident to keep the wife sweet as she had been moaning how much she hated it for years.women - keep em sweet, cos they can be right evil when they want to be.

TBH I got soaked in ATF when I was helping RR's Akku detransmission one of his old yank things, it just pooled all over the floor where I was lying.I washed them as normal and it all came out. They were scruffy work clothes to start with like, but they certainly didn't reek of oil any more.I even got in my hair, which just washed through with head 'n' shoulders.

Try going round to your local laundromat , bung all the clothes in with bi carb ,washing powder and some lemon juice, if it works result , if not you atleast have not contaminated she who must be ignored's washing machine

LOOK.............all you "girls" out there, just wear the damn things,................ and wash as normal.....women like a man to smell as if he knows what he is doing, but I must add that gear oil washes out if you add a bit of effort 8) and a man smells like a man with the scent of EP90............... according to our lass :wink::P:P:P:P

I once soaked a sweatshirt in gearbox oil. The smell never left it. Bloomin' horrible stuff.

I once removed a man's appendix with a grapefruit spoon..... :roll: quote from R.D.Nero, but nobody's got it yet....

Gearbox oil is way stinkier than ATF. I've just binned clothes contaminated with it before as they seem to smell of it forever more.

Yeah, it's absolutely rank. Some have hit the bin I'm afraid. I'm reluctant to go up to the garage as I'm sick of the smell. I hear kitty litter is good for soaking it up.

Ha ha, a helpful friend of mine offered to shift a Mazda gearbox i'd bought off eBay. It shat its load all over the boot of his company vectra hatchback, causing the boot carpet to be ruined and the car to honk of oil for ever more!!! Too helpful for his own good that guy :lol::lol:

• 6 years later...

I sold two gearboxes this week. Both were sat in various positions to empty them out, with drain plugs removed, I really did my best to get all the fluid out.

Carried one to someone's car, fluid straight down my pants and on shoes.

Second one yesterday, wrapped up completely in two thick rubble sacks. I'm not getting this on any clothes or car interior - as soon as it came to take it out of the car, a bit frigging pool of gearbox fluid soaking into the boot carpet. Transferred to the boot of the buyer's 15 plate BMW, =GLOOP=, a big load chugs out of a hole in the bag onto the carpet. It wasn't even his gearbox, he was transporting it as a favour for a mate.

Last night attempt to pointlessly scrub it out of my own boot carpet (the whole car stinks of the stuff at this point - I'll have to get a new carpet from the scrap yard). Take out the floor mat, straight away lean in and manage to get an 8 inch patch on the front and arm of the top I was wearing. :( :( :( :( I can smell it now sitting in work.