Vehicles with strange controls.

cros

Did cars with pre-selector gear shifts (Lanchesters for one) have a built in Mystic Meg to let you know whether you were going to need to change up or down next?

Hi, As anonymous user says it requires skill on the drivers part which is why they were used on vehicles driven by professional drivers like Daimlers, Lagondas, Armstrong Siddeleys and even London buses. With the state of some of the modern drivers skills it's all they can do to keep them between the curbs, without having to think about the next gear.

Colin

Do the various push button selectors for auto boxes count?

Or Imperial's infamous "Auto Pilot"?

How about non circular steering wheels?

Buick's "Ghost Start'?

Old Citroen dashes and controls?

Old Mercedes hand (actually foot) brake releases?

Cadillac's hand (actually foot) brake release by shifting it into gear?

Everything inside a Renault 16?

The terrible shit many manufacturers came up with to operate a fucking heater, for God's sake?

A bloody button, of all things rotten, instead of a hand brake?

You know, sitting here I can't remember which column stalk does the indicators, but both my cars are the same layout and it feels entirely natural.

So much so, that when I drove a Holden Monaro GTO recently, it ended up with a spotless windscreen but nobody on the road had the first idea about my manoeuvring intentions.

Guest Hooli

Dad's three wheeler has got 3 levers on the steering wheel, throttle, air, and erm...summat else. Gears inside the car handbrake outside. And a little dooby that you adjust the drips of oil through.

Mind boggling.

Though I am sure none of this was strange in 1928.

Ignition advance I expect.

Do the various push button selectors for auto boxes count?

Only if it's a big chrome bastard.

I've never tried any of the half-arsed UK attempts at easing the chore of changing gear on small engined cars in the 50's, but I'm assured by those who have that Manumatics, Standrive and Easidrives were awful shit. These came about because there was a shortage of big chromium knobs after WW2, so they had to hide a puny little micro-knob under the gear lever.

Rover managed another limp semi with their 105R Roverdrive. This struggled along with a torque converter hooked up to an overdrive, servo clutch, a manual low gear for emergencies, and anything else they could chuck in to avoid using a proper automatic gearbox. Needless to say it was a thirsty disaster.

1978 - 83 Colt Mirage. Maybe some of the saloons too (Lancer, Sapporo?).FYivmR0.jpge70gvtT.jpg

I had an '82 Colt Mirage with the spare gearstick. I felt like Van Diesel when accelerating through the gears, and that was before he was even a thing. To be fair, my other driver was my '68 Moggie thou, so anything modern and OHC was going to feel pretty lively.

post-7547-0-41358900-1499809879_thumb.jpg

BMC didn't quite know what to do with the gearchange on these ungainly brutes, so after starting out with column change they put the lever on the floor but with 1st and 2nd transposed with the 3rd and 4th positions. Eventually they accepted defeat and went to the conventional pattern, but stuck with a horrible vague and notchy change until the Sherpa came along. I always wondered if this was to make absolutely sure there was no possibility of any enjoyment to be had from driving their small commercials. Even a low speed frontal impact was designed to be very unpleasant.

attachicon.gif1966-morris-j2--152-commercial-van.jpg

BMC didn't quite know what to do with the gearchange on these ungainly brutes, so after starting out with column change they put the lever on the floor but with 1st and 2nd transposed with the 3rd and 4th positions. Eventually they accepted defeat and went to the conventional pattern, but stuck with a horrible vague and notchy change until the Sherpa came along. 

I can assure you the Sherpa still had a horrible and notchy change as well.

I can assure you the Sherpa still had a horrible and notchy change as well.

No assurance needed. The first Sherpa 4 speeder seemed fine to me and a vast improvement on the infamous cable operated thing in my previous JU250. The LT77 was a retrograde step (apart from its extra ratio) and after a few years it's exposed mechanism tacked to the rear could make finding any gear difficult. I believe in 4 speed form it even pre-dated the first Sherpa's Austin 3 litre derived gearbox. BL magic.

I've not owned a Sherpa with the R380 box but will get over it.

Yep,If memory serves my 1983 Alfasud had the heater fan operated by the l/h column stalk(pulling it down),turning it did the lights.(sometimes).May just have been my car tho',it also had a front door bell push as the starter button.

edit,just saw warren t claims post.Aaah those crazy Italians.

Guest Hooli

No assurance needed. The first Sherpa 4 speeder seemed fine to me and a vast improvement on the infamous cable operated thing in my previous JU250. The LT77 was a retrograde step (apart from its extra ratio) and after a few years it's exposed mechanism tacked to the rear could make finding any gear difficult. I believe in 4 speed form it even pre-dated the first Sherpa's Austin 3 litre derived gearbox. BL magic.

I've not owned a Sherpa with the R380 box but will get over it.

Apart from reverse being in a different place the R380 feels pretty much the same as the LT77.