Xud lickers, clag smokescreen on start up

nisfan

I'm nearing the final stage of getting the xud9te? engined 305 ready for an mot.

While it's not an mot phail there's a lot of clag on start up and a slight misfire, after about 30 seconds or so it's gone and it runs fine.

Was just looking for any ideas on what it could be? Glow plugs? Injectors?

Ta

Also could be one or more injector nozzles leaking diesel into the cylinders overnight.Probably nothing to worry about if there isn't excessive smoke when the engine is warmed up.

This is what mine does, smokes like a chimney when I start it and idles lumpy for about a minute.

I suspect as you say Diesel leak into Cylinders.

Which glow plug relay are you using? The XUD9TE needs the glow plugs kept on for 30 seconds or so after a cold start, otherwise it'll smoke like buggery...

Check by keeping the glow plugs on with a jump lead for a bit after starting, see if it sorts it.

Before you spend any money and time changing anything, check the glowplug relay! The donor vehicle would have had a timer relay which keeps the glowplugs on (even though the light itself goes out) after starting - unless coolant over a 60 degrees C or throttle is opened past a certain point. You will probably still have the switch on the fuel pump and the temperature sender for the glowplug relay on the thermostat housing. If you're still using the 305's glowplug relay (which goes off immediately after starting) then this could well explain the smoke, and it's free to check :-)