1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

I always love seeing battered and bruised classics in everyday use at the supermarket etc ;)

Me too, hence Huggy.  People often ask me when I'm going to start the restoration.  Never, is the answer.  He looks like a low-level Chicago pimp's car in about 1985, and that's how he's staying.

Jodie, if you really want a mk1 Cortina, I might be able to help you ;)

Angyl: damn good job there, keep it up! 

That said, Falken Sincera's are £32 each which isn't bad and probably much better than the £28 "Torque" branded rubber which comes in at he cheapest end of the range available

I've driven many crap cars (mostly 1100s) on many crap tyres, but Falken Sinceras are the only tyres I've ever bought new and chucked away less than 1000 miles later due to their absolutely atrocious wet weather grip. Both my 1100s now have Nankang CX-668 which I've found to be pretty competent in all conditions (the limeflower car pictured earlier in this thread may* have a 1275 engine with a few uprated bits and be driven pretty enthusiastically).  In 155/80/12 flavour (which should be what Vulg's car has) they are also cheaper with Tyreleader at present; £32.99 v £36.50.

I never got this at the time the public information film was running - WHY? I appreciate that when fishtailing, having completely different tyre types on the same axle is going to make it worse as presumably one will give more lateral grip than the other. But is there more to it than this?

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Simply put, people are idiots.  If you don't vastly inflate the dangers likely to occur, they won't change their habits.

---

Spent rather more time than I intended on the Austin today.  Turns out the gas bottle supplier used to have one.  Was it a government scheme or something where every household got an ADO16?  Because it seems like absolutely everyone had one.  The other weird thing is that so far, everyone has very fond memories of their car, whichever version it was, and even this one is regarded with considerable affection.  I do believe this is the first socially acceptable vehicle I have ever owned.  I digress.

Before I turned up to the unit, Mike had already removed, cleaned and rebuilt the clutch master cylinder.  It was just stuck and after he'd cleaned everything up and we'd put new fluid through t seems to work perfectly fine.  Bleeding the system was a little annoying as it was doing that thing they sometimes do where it didn't want to, a vacuum gun helped get over whatever was causing the air lock and we now have a fully operational clutch pedal at a cost of £FREE, which is the best price.

The main thing I wanted to do today was get the inner wing repaired.  Where the bumpstop mounts - it's missing, I need to get another one, I be the other side is missing too, I've not checked - there was some rot in a fiddly panel and it's double-layered.  I chopped out what needed chopping out and rebuilt both sides.  It's not a pretty factory fresh finish but it is all metal now, I just couldn't seem to get the repair piece to be exactly the right shape.  Since this is only for the bumpstop and there's no absolutely no hole there I didn't think it would be a problem.  The other thing I achieved with the help of a BFO Hammer was to get the trumpet panel to align properly and finish welding that in.

36337168595_26254e26ab_b.jpg20170802-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Some seam sealer, zinc primer and top coat later and it's all looking loads better.  I've got one small rust repair near the flexi at the bottom of the wing and the front subframe mount to repair and then that's this panel done.  After that it'll be stonechip protection and underseal to make sure it stays in the rudest health it can.

36168669092_8dfd3cfe56_b.jpg20170802-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The inner wing in the engine bay is now all done so that too got the treatment.  I've got to drill one hole for the battery tray, transferred the rivetted-on ID tag thing and drill some holes for fixing the electrical components to the inner wing to finish.  Now, finally, that brake line can be replaced since there's actually something to follow shape-wise and then we can find out just how serviceable the brakes really are.

36337168105_b4e67d27fd_b.jpg20170802-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Between welding and painting, while I was letting things cool off, I made a start trimming the replacement wing.  Bit more fine tuning to go yet but it's pretty close to ready for welding.

36168668712_3f754a5c9f_b.jpg20170802-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36337167385_94b2d32418_b.jpg20170802-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36168668272_bd9a3a1d31_b.jpg20170802-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Oh yes, that was the other thing.  Mike seems to like tinkering with this car because he'd drilled out the rivets, swapped the inserts and even replaced the missing fixings on the grille before I got there.  It looks super with the new grille, I really like it a lot.

36337166815_c0e455c10f_b.jpg20170802-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Tomorrow I hope to finish the inner wing repairs and maybe even get that outer wing fitted.  We shall have to see how I get on.

At one point in the 1960s, 1 in every 6 cars sold in the UK was an ADO16. They outsold the Mini and the Cortina consistently. Even in 1972 they were still in the top 5.

So yes, more or less everybody in Britain did own, or were driven about in, one!!

Grille looks great, crinkly Austin grilles are for life's winners.

I've driven many crap cars (mostly 1100s) on many crap tyres, but Falken Sinceras are the only tyres I've ever bought new and chucked away less than 1000 miles later due to their absolutely atrocious wet weather grip. Both my 1100s now have Nankang CX-668 which I've found to be pretty competent in all conditions (the limeflower car pictured earlier in this thread may* have a 1275 engine with a few uprated bits and be driven pretty enthusiastically).  In 155/80/12 flavour (which should be what Vulg's car has) they are also cheaper with Tyreleader at present; £32.99 v £36.50.

I stand corrected. My only experience with Falkens was good but that was a different type of tyre.

@AnthonyG:  I did not know that.

@plasticvandan:  it's hard to believe they messed the Allegro up so badly, it could have been so much better if they'd learned from the ADO16 properly.

@holbeck:  I have, and they're lovely, but I have my heart set on slotmags if I go the alloys route and probably scruffy slotmags at that rather than super shiny lovely ones.

@Mally: almost.  It's a fine line ;)

@Noel:  Mk1s had different style wheels that were usually white/cream rather than silver.  You hardly ever see them, they're almost all the later silver wheeled cars with the different style steels.

@Deejay: I think Mike gets bored waiting on other things he's doing and looks for something to occupy him.  Luckily, I've always got a rubbish car to hand to help keep him busy.