1995 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, Price Slash!!

J-T

207000km (about 128k miles)

MOT 'til Nov

4 new Toyo T1Rs

Cat 1 Alarm

Prodrive exhaust

A/C (working)

STi wheels

Usual JDM(yo) spec

Price £1700

I've had this for about 6 months, bought off Dave_Q on here (there is a thread on it somewhere). I mainly bought it as I've been renovating a house so it's been useful for carting stuff about but mainly just because I wanted one! However I've got another heap stored at my Dad's and he wants the space back, so I think I'm gonna have to sell this. I'd really prefer it to got to someone on here as I CBA with the type of *buyer this will no doubt attract elsewhere.

Lets get this straight from the start; this is not a minter. It's a bit scruffy, there are dings down both sides, it's had a blowover at some point which is far from bad but you'll see it if you start properly looking. However it's an honest example which hasn't been overly monged about with and you will have a job even finding another early one like this. I've spent all day cleaning it (it was HANGING!!!)  and it now looks pretty nice.

413451825.jpg

413451826.jpg

413451823.jpg

413451824.jpg

Rear arches are just starting with some small blisters (other side is similar)

413451829.jpg

Look! No SuperDraggerMushroomNitro induction kit! No wanky dump valve!

413451822.jpg

413451820.jpg

413451806.jpg

As you can see in that pic, the driver's seat has a sewn-up rip in it. The rear bench has a couple too, looks like it's been chewed by a dog or summat.

413451818.jpg

These trims want tidying up, as do the roof rails and the wiper arms

413451816.jpg

For the last 6 months I've promised myself I would bin that fucking horrible towbar, replace that 'looks like it's come off a 70s Datsun' foglight for something more suitable and put some proper import plates on it which would tidy up this rear end 1000%. Unfortunately I didn't do any but I'm tempted to make this a condition of sale!

413451808.jpg

Other things to note - it's fucking desperate for rear disks & pads, again this was something I was 'getting round to' as a result the brakes are less than stellar. When it's 1st started and when it's held on full lock the Power Steering belt squeals. I've adjusted it to no avail and it's a newish looking belt. I remember Dave telling me he replaced the ps pump with one from a breaker, don't know if that's related. The gearbox is a bit tired. It's fine in normal use and it's fine most of the time if you're being a lunatic, just don't rush a downchange into 3rd. Basically it's fine and you just drive around it.

Ok some good bits: Dave did the cambelt when he had it, it's had a service in the last year, I've put 4 new Toyo T1Rs on it which have probably done less than 500 miles, everything in it works. It's fitted with the ECU from a saloon (the JDM saloons had about 250bhp, the wagons had about 220bhp using a smaller turbo, so the saloon ECU gives it a bit more shove. I still have the original), it has pillarless doors which everyone should have at some point, it has a highly sophisticated japanese security system:

413451807.jpg

Reading this back I'm probably being a bit picky, it's a 22 year old car and considering that it's in pretty good nick.

I've priced it at £1700. I know that's not really shiter money but I doubt you'll find a better one cheaper, if you can find one at all. If I had somewhere to put it, I'd just keep it a few years and drag it back out when there are none left for maximum profitzzz but I don't, so I can't! Located in Lowton near Warrington. Don't all rush now!

I had a saloon for a short while and they are great cars. The best bit on them though is the seats, I struggle over long distances for reasons I won't bore anyone with but I could any distance in mine without issue. Great cars.

I had them welded into my Mk1 Pajero off roader.

They were so comfortable when just driving and held you in really well on pay and play days as well.

11/10 Would weld more into other cars.

They were so comfortable when just driving and held you in really well on pay and play days as well.

Aye, they are comfy pews, hold you in place well too.

MPG - yeh it's not their strong point but they can be reasonable (27, 28ish) if you try and stay off the turbo. But you won't stay off the turbo! I reckon I get about 25mpg in normal driving, including the occasional boost indulgence.

Hope this stays in the fold, I miss it muchly but have moved on.

Description seems fair, it's no minty creampuff but it's not a badly modified dog either.

Price also seems fair, not to mention the fact it's very difficult to find one without 18inch rimz and foot high Subaru logos on the side declaring the owners individuality.

GLWTS.

I'd love to try one of these for a while, particularly in this spec (non-barried wagon). And it's only about five miles or so from SPORTY_TOWERS.

However, those are two reasons why I should buy it, which don't compare well to the 1700 reasons why I can't.

I'd love to try one of these for a while, particularly in this spec (non-barried wagon). And it's only about five miles or so from SPORTY_TOWERS.

However, those are two reasons why I should buy it, which don't compare well to the 1700 reasons why I can't.

Surely as soon as you have one reason that's enough, how could you regret buying such a gem?

• 1 month later...

Right well I made a very poor effort to actually sell this (infact if you have read this far, you have discovered 100% of the effort made), so I carried on looning about in it. I'm now getting fairly regular moans about 'wanting my drive back' from fatha J-T so I think I need to try again.

Since last time, I've done the rear disks & pads so it now stops. I removed the towbar. I bought some import sized plates (and never fitted them).

I also remembered there is a rust bleb along the top of the screen about 2" across. Doesn't leak etc but it's there.

Anyone fancy it before I ebay it?

• 2 months later...

Right, a little update...

I've sold my Alfa so selling this is less of a priority (although I probably still would if someone waved the notes under my nose, so still sort for sale. ish)

Because it's been at home I've been using it quite a bit and I've grown pretty fond of it. There were just a few daft niggly things that were really getting on my nerves and putting me off driving it. The kind of thing that you tell yourself you will fix everytime you get in it, then never actually do.

These quite often suffer with the centre console being hacked about with as the japs love their ICE and it usually all gets ripped out before it's imported and this one was no different. It had a large double DIN sized gap that the cup holder would fall into every time it went over a bump and the surround was cracked. When I had a proper look at it, one of the runners for the cupholders was missing. I eventually found it buried deep in the depths of the dashboard, only after having bought most of a centre console off of ebay. Anyway, cupholder was fixed, a radio fitted and I found & fitted a new surround (one of these...)

66222FA000-GENUINE-SUBARU-GEAR-LEVER-PAS

So that sorted that. The power steering belt was getting worse, to cut a long story short the belt had stretched, new belt cured it, power steering now works properly, no more screeching when cold.

The synchros are a bit worn in the box so I've spent frigging hours on Subaru forums driving myself mad reading arguments about which gearbox oil is best for a worn box. I finally decided on some Redline shockproof 75w90 until I went to order it from Opie oils and even with a voucher it was £75 for 4l. Even if it is made from angels tears and unicorn piss, I can't bring myself to spunk £75 on gearbox oil for a 22 year old slightly rough Impreza, so I found some Castrol which also got good writeups for about £40. I'll update results when I've done it.

It's MOT was looming large which was concerning me a bit as I thought it might struggle to pass on emissions; they have 2 cats as standard and one has been binned off on this. Other than that and a dodgy foglight (fixed by bending the bulb tab back up) I couldn't see much it would fail on. Turns out I needn't have worried and it passed with no advisories which was a bit of a result!

In light of its MOT pass I thought I'd treat it to some new number plates. I bought an import sized plate for the back & fitted that, which was a bit of a ballache as the holder for the japanese plate (which the new plate is meant to fit into) was bent and had snapped bolts in the mounting holes. So I ended up drilling two holes in it and using self tappers, like a true pro. I ordered a smaller than strictly legal front plate (as I am a child) & when I came to remove the old one found it's held on with 10mm bolts. This meant I needed to drill slightly bigger holes in my new plate. I managed fine for one hole. Then cracked the bastard in half for the 2nd, like a true true pro. I've ordered another.

Other impending jobs may include removing the wiper arms & trim around the windows to repaint them in satin black and ordering new fixings for the side skirts and the rear bumper which seems to owe a large amount of its ability to remain attached to the car to some cable ties.

Will include some pics next time, must try harder

Glad it's going alright.

Emissions were a bit of a faff last time but that was a combo of cat, a big leak and lambda sensor.

It passed with the current setup fine last year once I'd replaced the lambda sensor, although I did lob a bottle of cataclean in £10 of V-power, took it for a rag then made them test the emissions before I turned the engine off.

Sounds like I probably didn't need to.

Some missing pictures and a mini update:

Turns out I did take some pics when I did the rear discs. Here they were in all their glory

38091539416_6a9074e347_c.jpg

And replaced (caliper hue not my choice)

26370014859_e0c950fb24_c.jpg

Here's me centre console looking a bit better. That 'shelf' across the top makes up the cupholders which would make a bid for freedom into the void below before

37436906624_57d10b65f2_c.jpg

Arse end sans towbar and sporting its new plate (which I can't actually decide if I like, but never mind)

38115126642_f63edbf121_c.jpg

So, yesterday in a rare case of good fortune, my gearbox oil turned up and the funnel kit from amazon for the insertion of; which led to this scene

38091541586_39c988d735_c.jpg

Those bloody ramps kept slipping on the stone as I drove up them so that was as high as it got. You can just make out my brew warming through in the washing up bowl; Castrol 75w90 Universal semi-synth. According to many subaruists on the internet, this is the preferred juice over the fully synth version, which suited me as it was about £20 cheaper. This funnel setup worked well, it was only about £8, would recommend!

26370011369_738b713af4_c.jpg

You definitely need something simiar anyway, as you refill it through the dipstick tube which is buried down between the turbo and intercooler. I must say I was pretty sceptical as to whether this was going to make much difference at all, I mean once a box is worn, it's worn right? Well that was until I undid the drain plug and a load of smelly, piss thin, oily, pondwater came pouring out. Here it is in an old screenwash bottle

37436919414_288f6701ab_c.jpg

God knows how long that had been in there. I was hoping I would have enough to change the rear diff oil as well and I should have had, as according to the book, the gearbox takes 3.5l, so assuming not all of the oil would drain out, I thought the gearbox would end up taking about 3l. Well that was all well and good in theory but it took all 4 bottles so the level must have been low to start with. The diff will have to wait for another day.

After taking it out for a bloody good caning last night I can confirm that actually it has made a pretty noticeable difference. It was quite easy to get a nasty cruch/graunch going from 2nd to 3rd or back down from 4th to 3rd during 'spirited' driving. Since I've changed the oil, that's gone pretty much altogether. You can still feel that it's not too happy about going from 4th to 3rd under high revs but it's much easier to drive around it now and it's got rid of the nasty noises. It's a lot nicer to use when the box is cold as well.

Overall, 8/10 from me for the price, would recommend!

Looking good. 

When I did the clutch on my previous one that got stolen I had to refill the box, my mingebag filling option was a £ shop funnel gaffa taped to a bit of garden hose. 

Needless to say the oil went everywhere, in particular all over the hot side of the turbo creating a particularly bad smelling smoke screen when I next drove it.

Your funnel looks much better.

• 2 months later...

PRICE SLASH SHOCKER

Insurance is due on this in about 3 weeks and I don't really use it enough to warrant paying it out again.Also as ever space is at a premium. Anyone want it for £1500?

Just to recap, rear disks & pads have been done, power steering belt done, gearbox oil has been done which has made it 100% better, other bits & bats sorted along the way, see above! That's less than I paid for it with 4 ling long death rings that only held air for 4 hours which have been replaced by 4 lovely Toyos, but yakno, anything for an easy life.

Just bumping this up for its last hawking around before I bite the bullet and involve the general public. Would also consider a swap for something interesting (but we'll just keep that between us lot!). Would also consider roffling but at £30 a ticket I don't think it would get the numbers.

I sold an absolute stormer of a Subaru about 7 years ago. Had it for two years, and it didn't get much use. Only managed to get £1,200 for it when I sold it, as the arse had fallen out of the market. I was the third owner, and it had a fully stamped dealer history. It was absolutely mint.. It was a standard UK spec car, which wasn't very desirable at the time either... everyone wanted an import..

I replaced it with an S3.

Undoubtedly the S3 was a better screwed together car, but the sube was a formidable machine. I miss it terribly. If I were to find one as good now, it would cost a hell of a lot.

I've still got the S3.

GLWS

post-17341-0-16484400-1516234653_thumb.jpg

post-17341-0-61046700-1516235001_thumb.jpg