Shonky Sov

RobT

A constant annoying one, which gave up after a while but was replaced by the ABS light.

The buzz will be the brake accumulator sphere pump. If the sphere is no longer holding pressure, the pump will run much longer that it is supposed to do. The pump is supposed to run for about 30 seconds at start up, the you shouldn't hear it again. When working properly you're supposed to have something like 50 stops even if the engine has stalled. If you were keeping the car longer, then it is worth fixing, since the pump can sometimes fail if it is overworked. This is more work/expense than simply replacing the sphere.

A bit of glue will stick the veneer back on. The veneers round the side air vents are one of the few bits of veneer on substrate in the car - along with the centre console top. Most of it is traditional veneered ply

There is more than one kind of sphere used on the XJ40. I don't know that they are incompatible with each other, but I assume they are incompatible. This one looks to use JLM1907 https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/JLM1907 This can be bought more cheaply than this - sometimes on Ebay. The unit is made by several companies. I will have a look later to see if I can find the list of compatible part numbers, since it is used by other manufacturers including GM. I believe they can also be recharged for a lot less money than a new one - one of the Citroen enthusiasts will be able to tell you more about this I'm sure!

I am rather amazed that the self levelling is still fitted. Nearly everybody just removes it, replacing the self raising strut units with the non-SLS type at the rear with second hand units and then removes the hydraulic pump from the front of the engine, replacing it with the blanking plate from a non-SLS car. The plate is available new fro a couple of quid, but an old one will be near-free. All the parts for the job are cheap and easily available second hand, since the vast majority of XJ40s have the conventional set up and the springs/conventional shocks bolt on to the car in the same way as the SLS struts and springs do. The SLS springs cannot be reused though - they're shorter. You need the whole units.

This isn't an especially difficult or complex job if you are used to working on cars, though it does involve removing the rear springs, so it (for me at least) is a bit scary...

There is loads on the internet about SLS replacement with standard springs - I can link 'how to' guides and post up the workshop manual pages if you like. I will also find the relevant page detailing the replacement of the sphere, though again, this is a job I would probably leave to a garage myself (the sphere is under vast pressure). No doubt, many on AS would replace it themselves, but I tend towards the anxious and am over careful.

If you intend to keep the SLS - and it is excellent when working, we will need to have a go at fault finding it. Sitting high at the back like that would lead me to think it may be the attitude sensor switches on the rear suspension. IIRC they can be troublesome. I don't know that much about the SLS - I will have a look online later for a troubleshooting guide and  will see if I can find a repair plan!

attachicon.gifgetPart-46.jpeg

The brake accumulator sphere is the black spherical thing by the brake reservoir on the picture in the bottom left of the photo - the one with "Warning!" written on it.

The bulkhead looks OK to me - rust like this rarely goes all the way through both panels, it looks much worse on the surface when it does that. if you put/pour/spray some rustproofing cavity wax type stuff on it on the plenum side, it'll probably not develop further. What's it like at the corners?

Thanks for all the information MR, but don't go to too much trouble with regards to researching the SLS. This is very much a temporary member of the fleet, so I will live with the faults then sell it on.

It managed a trip to Eastbourne fine today, 140 miles at 27mpg which isn't bad, but the bouncy ride was getting a bit tiring on the way home. I'd liken it to an enormous Metro with knackered displacers the way it was bobbing along.

Fab colour. What's all this nonsense about breaking down when the mileage is so low? Of course it isn't going to break down. The bodywork looks relatively tidy. Are the front wings rotten? That's a strange place for a hole in the boot, it doesn't look like a water trap or anything like that. Anyway it's well clear of a suspension component so a bit of aluminium tape an all is well again.

Most important question. Which engine is it?

Are the front wings rotten?

Most important question. Which engine is it?

Yes.  The sill is of more concern though.  How it passed an MoT I've no idea, as there's also holes just forward of the jacking point in this pic.  They look to have been there a while.

post-5013-0-09775400-1499695792_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-58991200-1499695801_thumb.jpg

It's a 3.2, so no sports 'box and not as rapid as the 4.0 litre, but as proved yesterday it's quick enough!

Ensure you visit the derelict main straight/pit complex of Reims-Gueux while you're there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims-Gueux

That's the reason for the trip, re-reading your holiday thread gave me the inspiration!  I wanted a road trip but was also after a worthwhile destination.  I'll be staying overnight in Dunkerque and driving down and back to Calais the next day, so is a short visit.

That's the reason for the trip, re-reading your holiday thread gave me the inspiration!  I wanted a road trip but was also after a worthwhile destination.  I'll be staying overnight in Dunkerque and driving down and back to Calais the next day, so is a short visit.

Noted and added to my itinerary - alas, reliving the golden days of racing won't be happening in a diesel Hiace but I can dream.  

I'm not sure I could cope without the sports box in one of those now, having had a 4.0 with Sport mode it was one of the most amusing ways to burn money I've yet come across.  Might explain why I never saw more than 21MPG out of it, mind.

Noted and added to my itinerary - alas, reliving the golden days of racing won't be happening in a diesel Hiace but I can dream.  

I'm not sure I could cope without the sports box in one of those now, having had a 4.0 with Sport mode it was one of the most amusing ways to burn money I've yet come across.  Might explain why I never saw more than 21MPG out of it, mind.

Sport mode FTW!

It's a different car with that button pressed. 

Beating yourself with a stick would be cheaper, but if anyone fancies some vehicular flagellation I've bunged this on eBay.  Shiters discount applies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282574185215?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I'm tempted to see if I can sort the ride issues out cheaply, but I doubt it...

Wot, already?  

#32 please