Schaefft's Bargain Barge Extravaganza - Alfa Attention

Schaefft

I think its really just my preference for higher end cars from the early-mid 90s! They are modern enough to be daily drivers, yet not quite valuable enough to be seen as collectible yet (and therefore cheap to buy, especially here in the UK). I've always like the first generation LS400, I think its a very good looking design and a milestone in Japanese automotive history. Plus it has a V8, whats not to like?

The blue on blue on blue color combo isnt my favorite for the Celsior/LS400, but the car is local and I wanted one for a while, so why not check it out and see if its worth the money?

That's the way to do it, really. Not the bleeding edge any more but certainly not the trailing one either; they were good when they were new, with a bit of care they can continue to be so.

Enjoy!

(Never even seen an Aurora here).

Phil

So I had a look at the Lexus/Toyota. The car is a little rougher around the edges than I hoped it would be, definitely needs a bit of TLC. The biggest issue would the gauge cluster not lighting up, as that could mean a repair is required (which I think is not possible anymore since the guy who used to fix them stopped doing so). It definitely needs new front springs, and there are a few more dings and scratches than you might usually find on a somewhat clean car. It also needs new tires and most likely a complete service, including the cambelt.

We'll see how the auction goes I guess, but at their current market value, I probably wouldnt wanna spend more than 500 quid for it.

@PhilA: Its the only Aurora here in the UK Im aware of. Definitely a rare car haha.

How's the Senator doing, or is it mothballed at the moment?

I will probably take it for a drive to work tomorrow. I havent driven it much recently (only really when it snowed enough to use the chance to test my driving-fast-in-circles skills). I'm currently charging the battery (again) so it better starts up tomorrow.

Well, if you ever want to move it on let me know. I've been searching for another one for ages as the white ex-JohnK 2.5 I had was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Trouble is the ones left over here are either expensive minters or basket cases. Maybe I need to follow your lead and get one from Germany.

Well, if you ever want to move it on let me know. I've been searching for another one for ages as the white ex-JohnK 2.5 I had was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Trouble is the ones left over here are either expensive minters or basket cases. Maybe I need to follow your lead and get one from Germany.

I'm not sure how you'd rate mine, before me the car had 2 previous owners, the last one since 1995. It seems like he did get a lot of work done on the car, however it still requires new rear doors. I've done a lot of maintenance on it to make it a reliable driver but as with any old car, theres always something else coming up next.

Don't worry I'm realistic and will drive any old shite, so long as they run! Yours looks a good one though.  My old one had a broken heater matrix, lumpy idle, farting exhaust, and in the end very crumbly sills (covers no doubt helped it go through several MoTs unnoticed). But it always started and I loved driving it.

Don't worry I'm realistic and will drive any old shite, so long as they run! Yours looks a good one though.  My old one had a broken heater matrix, lumpy idle, farting exhaust, and in the end very crumbly sills (covers no doubt helped it go through several MoTs unnoticed). But it always started and I loved driving it.

Well, I can tell you that the heater matrix most definitely works! The sills look decent as well, and it got me to work without any problems today after being parked up for about 6 weeks. I will let you know, should I decide what to do with it. I'd be sad to see it go, but I need to be realistic somewhere with the space I have for them.

Here is a poor quality photo, courtesy of my phone.

attachicon.gifWP_20180429_002.jpg

I thought it was yours when I saw it in there; an excellent write up which has only further fueled my desire for a 90s Yank.

HOLY SHIT IM FAMOUS NOW

I didn't know they would put it into the May issue, they said they'd send me an email about it! They've cut down the text a little to fit on the page it seems, and I never mentioned the AC Cobra to be my dream car haha (oddly enough the text below mentions my actual answer). But I love seeing my car appear in an actual enthusiast magazine, I gotta get one tomorrow!

Yep I noticed it aswell but didn,t mention it as I thought you already knew it was featured in the mag!

I,am suppose to be doing a writeup for the Safrane for MC but the way I,am going you will beat me with your one....

Need an update on the Safrane aswell if you can.

Yep I noticed it aswell but didn,t mention it as I thought you already knew it was featured in the mag!

I,am suppose to be doing a writeup for the Safrane for MC but the way I,am going you will beat me with your one....

Need an update on the Safrane aswell if you can.

I definitely wanna see that article about you Safrane!

So I was at Tesco today to get a copy of the magazine, unfortunately the Tesco Superstore near me decided to CLOSE AT 4PM, so I will need to wait until tomorrow or something. However, I was able to use their car park to take a few photos of the A6 I'm now selling. So if anyone is interested in a lhd A6 with damaged front bumper (previous owner) thats offered for twice as much as I paid, let me know!

$_57.jpg

I think its really just my preference for higher end cars from the early-mid 90s! They are modern enough to be daily drivers, yet not quite valuable enough to be seen as collectible yet (and therefore cheap to buy, especially here in the UK). I've always like the first generation LS400, I think its a very good looking design and a milestone in Japanese automotive history. Plus it has a V8, whats not to like?

The blue on blue on blue color combo isnt my favorite for the Celsior/LS400, but the car is local and I wanted one for a while, so why not check it out and see if its worth the money?

Makes perfect sense.  Cheers!

How much do LHD A6s go for these days? Asking for a friend.

Here or in Germany? I'm aiming for about a grand Euros since the bumper would need replacing, ideally both front wings would be replaced at the same time (one is poorly painted, the other one is rusty). It would be worth a few hundred quid more if those were fine. On the other hand its got a nice leather interior and heated seats, which I think adds a bit of value when so many came with plain grey cloth. A6 here in the UK are worth barely anything, like most cars of that age which is nuts. I think Id maybe get 200 quid for it here in its current state, maybe a little more if it was rhd. That's why I use the chance while I'm over in Germany next week to sell it there and fly back. Its been a great car, and I could have easily brought it back to very decent condition for not a lot of money. But with all the must have V8 barges on my list, the A6 was the easiest one to let go (would have been different with the 4.2).

Related to that, I might have a surprise for you guys tomorrow...

Well, here we go again!

I've just bought the 1992 Toyota Celsior I was looking at earlier this week. It is rough around the edges, but it was located just 5 minutes from here and I got if for only 500 quid, which was the maximum I was willing to pay for it. It's a higher end C-Spec model, which means it came pretty well equipped, including adaptive shock absorbers and air suspension. The latter was replaced by conventional struts (which now need to be replaced again since all springs are ruined), but since all the airlines and even the compressor are still in the car, I might actually put everything back to original one day, assuming I can still find the airshocks (I know how much a pita this is for my Lincoln).

Apart from that it needs a few other things including the common instrument cluster repair, and a full service and tires. I will have a closer look at the car next week once I'm back from Germany, but the most important things (bodywork, engine, transmission) all seem to be fine. It needs a good clean and polish, and I will remove the window tint asap, but I'm very happy that I managed to acquire another ultra-rare luxury cruiser that I've wanted for a long time. :mrgreen:

The owner actually got quite sentimental when he unloaded the car from his truck. It really seemed to matter a lot to him that it went to someone who wouldn't smash the crap out of it on a banger oval, or part it out to get some quick cash. That's probably why he accepted my offer outside of Ebay and ended the auction early. I will do my best to return this landmark of Japanese auto manufacturing to its former glory.

40911246645_03e924b9fc_h.jpg

Like a godsent. The god rays also happend to hide all its blemishes...

40002923180_e676620754_h.jpg

There's even a bit of Safrane action in the background!

Amazing. That interior is lovely. You may have achieved peak 90s japanese cruiser. Just needs those lace headrest covers you see on Crowns.

I was a little bit shocked by by the floor mats when I saw them yesterday, I didn't expect to find such nice ones in the car. Ive gotta take some better photos tonight.

Safrane tease!!!!

Yes, its parked securely where I can always have an eye on it haha. I'll take a proper picture of it too if you want lol.

Some pics of the interior, its filthy and the steering wheel definitely needs to get re-trimmed, but nothing too terrible that cant be fixed with a good clean and a few parts replaced.

26964481757_88788d315f_h.jpg

41115804774_128f51f6d3_h.jpg

40025751720_1d9b56f915_h.jpg

Mysterious Japanese-labeled button

27964189748_dd04e614ca_h.jpg

I wonder what the red button does...

41115814234_d6324228c0_h.jpg

Another mysterious button...

40933932985_6dfc20d9c1_h.jpg

41115823644_e6b6ea1437_h.jpg

If these floor mats dont scream "luxury", I dont know what does.