Schaefft's Bargain Barge Extravaganza - A8 gone, 540i Update

Schaefft

Guten Tag Mein Herr..... (see I can do this)

To be honest I'm not a fan of a lot of more modern Americana but that Lincoln is HAWT.

Good work.

My geography is a bit wobbly, and i can't be arsed to look it up, but how about bringing summat to Chumley? You've got to be closer than me..... Park it next to Ed's "Huggy" for full effect. 

Guten Tag Mein Herr..... (see I can do this)

To be honest I'm not a fan of a lot of more modern Americana but that Lincoln is HAWT.

Good work.

My geography is a bit wobbly, and i can't be arsed to look it up, but how about bringing summat to Chumley? You've got to be closer than me..... Park it next to Ed's "Huggy" for full effect. 

Sehr gut, und vielen Dank!  :mrgreen:

Chumley? I'm afraid I haven't heard of that place yet!

And I think even the Mark VIII would look tiny next to a Coupe De Ville :mrgreen:

@Wilson: Can't remember ever parking there, I've been going through the area plenty of times on my way to the ferry terminal in North Shields though. Good to see more people from the area, we should organize a little autoshite meet at one point! Im located in Gateshead, close to Redheugh Bridge.

Thanks, good to see there are quite a few members so close to me!

Anyone got any recommendations for a good local body/paint guy? The E39 needs its bumpers resprayed and a bit of rust removed from a few small areas. I know a place in Fenham that did an almost perfect job on my Lincoln (someone bumped into the car on the office car park), which must have been a pain do considering its a pearl paint that was never offered in Europe. But maybe someone knows of someone whos doing an excellent job that you wanna recommend (and whos not afraid of working on obscure cars with obscure paint colors :-P ).

In other news, I got the confirmation today that my Senator will be transported back from the Italian alps to Germany where I will get the coolant hose that burst replaced so I can pick up the car in a few weeks and drive it back here.

Also, my fuel pump and other service items for the Aurora showed up at a friends place, so I will hopefully have those soon and get the Olds back on the road. I'll keep you guys updated on that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Update:

After weeks of waiting my Senator has finally reemerged from purgatory and was delivered from the Italian Alps all the way to the Opel dealer of my parent's choice in Germany last Tuesday. They just didn't bother telling me.

Not surprisingly, the dealer has trouble sourcing the fitting coolant hose as almost anything specific to a Senator B must be made from Unobtanium by now. Considering the part they need is nothing more than a few inches of generic coolant hose in the shape of a 90 degree bent, I'm not quite sure where the problem is. I hope to have the car back soon, meanwhile have another picture of it from better days (actually the same day it blew up)

IMG_20170624_161702_zpsrorda0xf.jpg

Hello Shaefft.

Nice collection of cars you have there, particularly the Senator. 

If there's any parts you need for the Senny, give me a shout, there's a very slim chance I may be able to help.

You don't have any Volvos though, for winter beating reliability.

I could see you in a T5 or V70R.

Hello Shaefft.

Nice collection of cars you have there, particularly the Senator. 

If there's any parts you need for the Senny, give me a shout, there's a very slim chance I may be able to help.

You don't have any Volvos though, for winter beating reliability.

I could see you in a T5 or V70R.

haha thanks Tetley, I've been looking at S60 T6s for a short while before but I think the Audi will do. No rust was my highest priority!

There will be a few parts I am going to need eventually. I have my sources in Germany but since I'm there only a few times a year, it would be great to know someone over here who can help. ;-)  Bringing it back to good* mechanical condition will be the highest priority, cosmetics will come next though (it does need some welding for its inspection in March, too). I will need the clips that hold the center chrome trim onto the rear bumper and the clip for the lower rear quarter window trim. Apparently you can still get them from the Opel dealer, maybe thats the case for Vauxhall as well? I also need a set of locks for the center caps (hence them not being on the wheels in these photos), and in an ideal world, a front bumper in the same color as mine (top center black plastic piece is broken and apparently one part with most of the bumper cover). Also probably most suspension components/bushes.

I also need to figure out why the electric fan isn't running when the car is being parked...

Wow driving a Senny through the Alps what a day that (should) have been!

I had two full days of Alps driving, in that time I had a lot of fun but it would have been brilliant to have working AC or brakes don't don't overheat on your (fast) way down a mountain pass. :mrgreen: Still surprised it made it so far!

Okay, since Photobucket decided to become a total POS, here's the same post again. From now on I'll just use my flickr account, I'll update my first post as well in a few minutes:

So I was bored and decided to destroy one of my cars today.

The first object which had to endure my wrath was the center console  :mad:

36114115211_35c495e5bb_o.jpg

Which I promptly got rewarded for  :shock: I don't know who Judge Kym Worthy is, but if she wants her ice cream stick back, send me an email and I'll arrange the shipment back to the US. Also, what secrets could lie beyond the doors this mysterious key belongs to...?

36081371972_facd2387d7_o.jpg

Next up was the steering column, never liked that thing anyway.

36081315562_6d90241bf2_o.jpg

Never really stood a chance. Since the dash got away pretty much unharmed until now, it was next.  :mad:

36081306042_d19ec1b46c_o.jpg

After 4 hours of carnage inside the car, I decided to focus my attention on a very particular set of hoses in the engine bay. Not much left after I was done with them.

36248736775_8e073ab4d9_o.jpg

35415063474_1454de7fc0_o.jpg

So far, things went pretty smoothly, until I finally met the endboss, the fearsome heater core. And here's where things are getting funny.  :mad:

36113998391_65c7f4b948_o.jpg

It just won't budge! No matter I hard to rip on it, it doesn't wanna move an inch. It should* just slide out, yet no matter how hard I pull on it, not much is happening. I'm pretty sure its the foam pads glued onto it that rub on the housing its stuck in, but I can't really get a good grip on it to pull it. Pushing it from the engine side doesn't work either. Any idea how to get it out of there?

Just host the pictures on Autoshite,  click on 'more reply options' when using the full fat site and upload to your hearts content.  Photofuckit have been shit for years.

Welcome along by the way,  I look forward to seeing your pics and maybe your cars in the flesh on one of my rare trips back home.

Schaefft, this might sound like an odd question, especially if I'm thinking of somebody else, but were you ever on Oppositelock? Your username and seem kind of familiar....

Yes yes, of course. And I'm still on there. :) The photo of the Senator in the first post was taken on our EuroOppo meet last month. :)

Haha, thought I recognised you! I haven't been on there for quite a while now, so I wasn't sure it was you you or not :)

Yeah, can't be too many people with a car lineup like this around. :mrgreen: Whats your username on Oppo?

I favour the Mark VII myself, a handsome beast. These were available with the 2.4 BMW TD engine I believe - how awful must this have been to drive?

Yup, really oddball choice, and nobody really bought them, but thats been the trend back then, at least for a short time. The diesel Mark VIIs are definitely the rarest of them all now.

Yeah, can't be too many people with a car lineup like this around. :mrgreen: Whats your username on Oppo?

I think it was just 'Laurence', or something like that. Even when I was on there often, I mostly just posted low effort stuff and photos of my Mini

(I've also realised that I accidentally pressed the 'Thank' button rather than the quote on your post. Sorry about that :/ )

I think it was just 'Laurence', or something like that. Even when I was on there often, I mostly just posted low effort stuff and photos of my Mini

(I've also realised that I accidentally pressed the 'Thank' button rather than the quote on your post. Sorry about that :/ )

No worries! And I see you like Scorpios, too?  :mrgreen:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/confession-1794221659

If I had enough space, a clean black Cosworth would probably find its way to me at one point.