1996 Vauxhall Frontera 2.8TD [sold to Red5!]

rantingYoof

My parental's next door neighbours (L & P) have had Fronteras since I can remember. The car for sale replaced a tasty 3.2V6 a long while ago. The gentleman 'P' fastidiously maintained it, serviced it, kept it right; it's been loved and used as a good old solid 4x4 of its era should.

Sadly, P's health took a sudden and significant turn for the worse a while ago and, while he's 'recovered' up to a point, he will not be driving ever again and finds climbing up into and up out of cars difficult. As L's other daily is a Fiat Coupe 20V turbo there is likely to be a car rearrangement upcoming.

The Frontera has therefore been MOTed and serviced recently - you can use the MOT website (https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/) to get a pretty honest and tidy MOT history for a 21 year old car of its sort. The most recent MOT did require welding as you will see, and I believe there is paperwork from this to back it up as it was done at a very trusty local garage.

I was told yesterday by my parentals that it is now up for sale, and to put feelers out 'on that forum you like'. I'm not certain on stuff like the cambelt; there may be history on that and if it's been done it will have likely been DIYed by the gentleman who was very competent.

The 2.8TD is an Isuzu lump (as if you needed telling) which has around 115hp and produces 180ft/lb torque. Not sure if veg friendly but it seems to be a strong and popular unit, if rather rare nowadays. Not sure on the spec as I am uncertain if Fronteras came in CD/CDX format...

As it's not being sold by myself I cannot offer a Shiter's discount, but I will make a personal donation to the forum's coffers if it sells to someone here and remains in the family. I think L is trying to get some money back given the expenditure at MOT, and given its general good condition, long MOT and recent service I would tentatively say expecting to pay in the region of £750 would be sensible.

This initial one-photograph post is to gauge serious interest, which would probably be better sent via PM to myself. If anyone is seriously interested then I can get more photographs and information about any remaining or known issues and any additional history tomorrow or Monday as my parentals are a mile down the road.

Obviously no swaps or anything. I could possibly entertain the idea of a £12.50 per ticket roffle if there is sufficient interest but given the circumstances under which it's being sold I think a quick, serious and straightforward sale is probably the better way forwards. Collection assistance may also be doable for anyone getting a train to the local railway station, which is only a few miles away in town centre. It would be good if L's only involvement was paperwork related :).

A caveat that applies to this post and any subsequent roffle would be that other friends of L and P within the street may be also putting out feelers to help out and if the right offer is made it might sell elsewhere in the meantime. I'll obviously update the thread ASAP if this happens.

post-19970-0-63667000-1498916918_thumb.jpg

We are receiving an unhelpful incoming transmission sir. Its a bit garbled but I think it says:

"I think that is lovely (stop) I would love to buy it (pause) but dont have the money (slash) its too far away (slash) something about a wife and testicles."

It trails off sir but I'm pretty sure none of it was of any help at all.

I've been driving mine loads lately. I love it and if it didn't cost a fortune in petrol I'd use it a lot more.

Of course the diesel in this one doesn't have that problem.

Haha.

Yes. They do.

You can touch 30-35 on a run with a good one. Mid to high 20's round town - better than the 2.4 though.

Can run on veg if done properly. Most aren't. Well sorted they're ace, if noisy and unrefined. I love them...hmm...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, our ace loop which means you can drive to Milton Keynes and get a Virgin train quicker than you can drive to the local station and get a London Midlands train to get to London.

And don't even get me started on the useless Birmingham service which stops at every single station north of Coventry regardless of time of day.

If all goes to plan tomorrow is the day. Not sure if there'll be a collekshun thread mind you.

Well my involvement in the collection is minimal.

Someone of this parish is buying it (you may guess who) and a friend of theirs is arriving at the local railway station in around 15 mins.

I am to collect, take them to the car and then on to work.

SnrYoof is to help the seller with the remaining paperwork bits and pieces.

I hope the purchaser reveals and posts pics at some point. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk