Transport of project car (Derbyshire), and clutch/gearbox problems...

petermcpete

So yesterday, things got a bit out of hand, and I ended up getting a Porsche 924s which I want but definitely don't need:

post-20481-0-85774200-1498735054_thumb.jpg

It doesn't drive, so my first problem is getting it transported. It's about 15 miles from where I live - any suggestions for companies in Derbyshire/Nottingham that are decent?

Also, it didn't want to go into gear with the engine off - and the clutch pedal goes down and doesn't rise again - any ideas with these? I've not worked on clutches/gearboxes before so need some pointers on where to start...

MOT says 10yr off the road...

Advisory: play in fwbrg (x2)

Bit 'o pezz and yrr away m8

WCPGW

TS

That'd be the dream! Sadly it needs a fair bit of work to get it in a decent state. Give me a couple of months...

Happy to use the pumpkin to tow a trailer if you can blag one - will do for forum goodwill/karma

Much appreciated, I can happily pay you with many beers. Do you think this would be ok on an A-frame? For that would it just need to be in neutral and have tyres in good nick? Can rent one of them off eBay for £25. No worries if it's too far out your way though - not sure where you're based but this would be Alfreton to Nottingham.

Serpent Motors in Chesterfield do car transporter and car trailer hire, if that's any help.

Just rung them - £120! For a journey of 15 miles it's a fair whack. Cheers for the suggestion though.

Any idea about it not going into gear even without the engine running? It seems to crunch into 1st and reverse but won't do any others. Unfortunately as it's not with me yet I can't do any more diagnosis!

I had one of these (non S so cable clutch) where the clutch didn't clutch.

Turned out to be this little stub thing that the release bearing sits on (can't remember the name) that had gone the wrong shape and the release bearing got stuck in release.

Not sure if that helps you much.

Anyway the gear linkage on these is a big bar that goes to the back, I would check the oil in the box then maybe disconnect the linkage from the box end and see if you can select gears on the box with mole grips or whatever.

I'm sorry to report that getting the clutch out on these is a real sad job, the gearbox is best removed as there's no bend in the torque tube to get it off like you can on a normal rwd car with separate gearbag and diff.

Also access to the bellhousing bolts is non existent, as the engine is so tight against the bulkhead to achieve that legendary weight distribution.

Anyway, hope it turns out to be something easy.

It's not too far - I am only at J23 of the M1 - sounds like it could be a jolly jape.  I  am game for A framing it behind the crying pumpkin.

I reckon neutral and air in rear tyres should be OK as long as we don't go crazy with speed etc (we won't).

As for clutch/gears - I would imagine standing all that time's not been helping - it might all free off a bit with some rocking about.  I've know stuff that's been standing be a pig - clutches stuck on on the input shaft splines, etc, usually a bit of brute force and ignorance will help shift things :)

What state is the gear linkage in? (assuming there is one on these) and also; how much oil is in the gearbox?

Not too sure. I'll check that first though as hopefully it's that simple. I'll need to check at the gearstick end and at the gearbox end right?

It's not too far - I am only at J23 of the M1 - sounds like it could be a jolly jape.  I  am game for A framing it behind the crying pumpkin.

I reckon neutral and air in rear tyres should be OK as long as we don't go crazy with speed etc (we won't).

As for clutch/gears - I would imagine standing all that time's not been helping - it might all free off a bit with some rocking about.  I've know stuff that's been standing be a pig - clutches stuck on on the input shaft splines, etc, usually a bit of brute force and ignorance will help shift things :)

That'd be brilliant - I'll PM you.

Stick a battery in it and try to start it - one of 2 things will happen

1 the clutch will unstick

2 the gearbox will explode into eleventy million bits

(there is a 3  now I think about it - nothing will happen)

Do this, and film the result!

post-20481-0-28383400-1499538986_thumb.jpg

post-20481-0-02281600-1499539015_thumb.jpg

post-20481-0-35695700-1499539038_thumb.jpg

post-20481-0-86185800-1499539055_thumb.jpg

post-20481-0-71633600-1499539075_thumb.jpg

Looking sexy after a wash.

Lots of electrics to fix. I've come to the conclusion that the gearbox is fine, but the clutch is fucked. Doesn't engage at all.

Brakes unseized by towing it, and the engine starts and runs ok! Gets hot though and the fan doesn't kick in so still a bit to do!