MGB GT - Mission finally complete! Phew.

SiC

That's a bugger. It's a fine line between jumping in both feet first, and taking on someone else's decrepit money pit (something I've inadvertently done for twenty five years), or holding out for a 'good one' and missing out on potential bargains because others have got in there first.

Do/don't/do/don't/do/don't do a rebound purchase.

That's a bugger. It's a fine line between jumping in both feet first, and taking on someone else's decrepit money pit (something I've inadvertently done for twenty five years), or holding out for a 'good one' and missing out on potential bargains because others have got in there first.

Do/don't/do/don't/do/don't do a rebound purchase.

I don't think I'll be doing today. I closed all my tabs with possible cars in

What pisses me off the most is that I was trying to decide between looking at that shit red one and the Autotrader red one today. I decided that I'd look at the shit one today, as being a Thursday it would be unlikely the Autotrader one would sell. That is what stings the most.

The only reconciliation is that I wasn't overly in love with the dark Autotrader red. That is what made me hesitate during this week when I knew I could jump for it.

Took a look at this one this evening: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272754496809

A pile of shit compared to what I've seen. Buggered roof, fucked seats (gave me a bad back) and really shit welding on the underside. The seller gave me a drive around which was fun. I had a run around the block too, enjoyed it.

Decided that Red one off AutoTrader was by far the best I've seen and most honest - also a bargain. He dropped it a couple of days ago to £2.5k too. Went to look on Autotrader on my phone to contact him, go over and buy it immediately. Gone. Fuck. Dropped the guy a text as I still had his number. He replied - it sold this afternoon.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Feeling pretty deflated right at this moment. :(

There are loads of GTs about, another will come along at a good price, you can afford to be picky and wait.

There are loads of GTs about, another will come along at a good price, you can afford to be picky and wait.

I know I know. This is a fun car, so it's not exactly a priority for me to get one asap.

The drive in the MGB also reminded me what a cracking car the Smart Roadster I have is.

Similar height above the floor but doesn't feel like you're going to die everytime you approach a corner. Also you doesn't feel like you're going to be engulfed in a fireball if you hit a twig.

Kinda why I liked the MGB GT too though, as it feels so much more primitive. It's like you are in this tin foil box with some wheels haphazardly attached and a garden shed window grafted onto the front.

Don't worry - it probably wasn't meant to be with the red one anyway. I was in a similar place when I got my Mini - I dithered about looking at hopeless old wrecks until I finally found 'the one'. I'd convinced myself it was the car to get, then having been advertised for over a year, it sold the day before I went to look at it.

In the end, I found one I prefer, for slightly less money, and couldn't be happier as a result. Hopefully the same will happen here - there's plenty of GTs out there, eventually the right one will turn up.

Yeah I think I just need to keep looking. Unfortunately not much more on at the moment. Also it's so variable in quality that price doesn't seem an accurate indicator. Some are massively over priced, some about right and quite a lot that are shit.

But then that's the case with moderns. It took nearly 3 weeks to find my Civic and I was only looking at cars that were under 5 years old at the time! However it paid off as I've had it over 5 years now and it's been incredibly solid and reliable.

Recently I've managed to bag 2 really good cars from eBay. I don't think it's so much luck either. I think it's more down to experience in what to look for. E.g. my Smart most people avoided, yet after looking at it in person before hand I knew that it was very well looked after. Just required some TLC.

With classics I started this thread with zero experience. Now I'm absolutely, certainly no pro, but I can spot shit repairs, overpriced examples and massive money pits a bit better.

There is two "classic" car shows coming up this weekend. My lovely wife suggested we should maybe go down and have a look, as maybe there is something else that catches my eye I haven't thought of.

There seem to be quite a few rubber bumper GTs around the £3.5k-4k mark. I'm going to guess they are the mint examples of them. A bit like the mint chrome bumpers are £5k-6k.

I keep looking at this one: http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C879813

I love the colour and, even though I like the rubbers, chrome ones are much nicer. The bits of rust scares me off before, but worry me less now. What is to totally putting me off is stainless steel sill covers. It is only down the road though, so possibly worth a quick look.

I'm guessing that they're invariably there to hide shocking stuff?

I don't think I'm confident enough to spot a dud on eBay without looking at it. At this sort of money (under 4k), I can afford easy enough to buy one BUT it's enough to be gutted to find it's fucked next MOT time.

Really?

Funny enough, when you wrote that I was thinking absolutely yes.

Now I'm kinda glad! No working overdrive and driving around in something that looks a heap over 30 foot away (rather than less than 10foot away) would leave an experience that put me off them completely.

Or was that your plan? :D

Jesus, what attracted you to go look at that red one? It looks an utter heap.

Coulda told you that looking at the photos. I mean, it was never going to be a good one was it?

I guess it was because its really cheap at the moment and going back to the idea of buying a really cheap one to find out what they're like. Also in the hope that it might not be too bad in person and just needs a bit of attention.

I'm chalking it up as experience gaining. I wouldn't truly believe how grim it was from looking at the pictures until I saw it in person.

My spine is still hurting from the buggered seats too.

Stainless covers can be removed obviously, think mine were pop riveted on.

People put them on because they look nice, which is probably why these were fitted, but it puts people off buying as you say.

If he would remove or not them is a different matter.

The low height and problems getting in and out do cause back problems even with good seats.

Many older owners (me) cite that as a reason for sale.

If your back is a bit dicey maybe they are not for you?

tis friday

get tanked up tonight then surf ebay at 1am - 1:30ish , slip into bed next to the mrs, slap your ice cold hand on her arse and whisper something about "ows abart a blowjob" before falling into a deep, noisy, snorey slumber

Wake up with a thumping hangover and and review purchases section of your ebay account and start google'ing where the heck Munlochy is

sorted

then we can spend the next 15 pages of this thread congratulating you and complementing you on the size of your bollocks

I have two MGBs

All this talk about rot, unreliability and bad handling is nonsense.

Have never had any problems with my two. I don't do many miles, in fact I only take them out alternate Thursdays but even so I am impressed with their reliability. They don't even leak any water inpost-19511-0-58608900-1500034165_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-34077100-1500034193_thumb.jpg

This is my favourite, it is slightly smaller and better handling than the green onepost-19511-0-23989500-1500034347_thumb.jpg

tis friday

get tanked up tonight then surf ebay at 1am - 1:30ish , slip into bed next to the mrs, slap your ice cold hand on her arse and whisper something about "ows abart a blowjob" before falling into a deep, noisy, snorey slumber

Wake up with a thumping hangover and and review purchases section of your ebay account and start google'ing where the heck Munlochy is

sorted

then we can spend the next 15 pages of this thread congratulating you and complementing you on the size of your bollocks

Quoting, because one 'like' will never really be enough.

tis friday

sorted

No pub after work today unfortunately as its the day that the Laguna goes. So no alcohol and certainly no colleagues daring me on! I have a week off work next week, so maybe if I'm still looking the week after... :D

Stainless covers can be removed obviously, think mine were pop riveted on.

People put them on because they look nice, which is probably why these were fitted, but it puts people off buying as you say.

If he would remove or not them is a different matter.

The low height and problems getting in and out do cause back problems even with good seats.

Many older owners (me) cite that as a reason for sale.

If your back is a bit dicey maybe they are not for you?

I think it as more that the seat back foam was non existent, so my spine and ribcage was hitting the seat frame. Actually was relatively easy to get in and out of - a lot less extraction effort required than my Smart Roadster does!