Things I said I'd never do again Number 94 - own another X350 Jaaag

AMC Rebel

Yeah I suffered the 'grandad car' thing a few times when I had a Jag, didn't take long to get past them normally though.

I have surprised a few folk - childish but the most satisfying was the bloke in a brand new white X5 who pulled up alongside me at the roundabout near me - I was indicating right and he pulled up alongside on my left thinking (as it turned out) that he'd just out drag me and get ahead as he (as it turned out) was also turning right, despite not indicating and not being in the right lane.  The childish bit is that once I realised what he was up to I joined in and beat him to the next lights :)

6 September 2018

PASS

Mileage277,449 miles

MOT test number3537 3901 6177

Test location
 View test location

Expiry date19 September 2019

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
  • Offside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (B) (i))
  • Nearside Front Brake hose slightly damaged (1.1.12 (B) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Offside Rear CV boot split
  • Offside Rear Brake cable damaged but not to excess (1.1.15 (a))
  • Front Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (B) (i))
  • Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (B) (i))
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

A few jobs to do (bang on the numberplate light is the first one) but basically a cheap result.

Also two advisories from last year have cured themselves in 11K of motoring - did I mention I think a lot of advisories are total bollocks?

• Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
  • Slight play in both rear lower arms

Gone missing - great.

I've done that.  It's a stupid system.  On my 607 if you remote popped the boot it would also unlock the doors and that's how Jaguar should have done it.

After doing that once I just had a Ford blade cut and I keep it in my wallet.  It will only work the lock (and not start the car) but at least I can manually open the boot to get my keys back.

I've done that.  It's a stupid system.  On my 607 if you remote popped the boot it would also unlock the doors and that's how Jaguar should have done it.

After doing that once I just had a Ford blade cut and I keep it in my wallet.  It will only work the lock (and not start the car) but at least I can manually open the boot to get my keys back.

I think it's quite a common setup - my ALDI A3 had a separate button for the tailgate which meant I also managed to lock the key in the boot.  I have taken to pressing both unlocks now in case I do something silly.

• 2 weeks later...

and.......bastados!

Ripped the bumper out of it's fixings and half detached the undertray - again.  I wonder if the air suspension is settling a bit when it's parked.

Horrible sound as I reversed and ripped it all to bits and then a *hilarious drive home with what was left of the undertray scraping on the ground and scaring pedestrians.

Undertray now junked and the bumper secured as it should have been all along, with cable ties.

More XJs on Autoshite cannot be a bad thing, no matter how broken they are. I'm interested to know how much your running costs are under LPG. How light is it? Is the chassis aluminium too?

For your pleasure...saved. Straight through exhaust with 'cut-out' empty back boxes,lowered front end,banded steel wheels,Pipercross cold air-induction,95% interior now black rather than beige,boot revamped ready for sub. Not one for the purists...

post-26320-0-65710000-1537125660_thumb.jpg

post-26320-0-82548700-1537126436_thumb.jpg

post-26320-0-72234800-1537126456_thumb.jpg

post-26320-0-50902600-1537126539_thumb.jpg

Mine failed its Mot on a brake pipe and both banana arm bushes.

Two new arms now fitted but it doesn't feel right. I guess I will need a four wheel laser alignment for the fourth time in two years.

Where did you get the replacement arms? Mine has a terrible creaking and knocking over speed bumps coming from the front n/s

• 3 weeks later...

If you can crush it into the taper with some water pump pliers or a G clamp then the taper will hold it still enough to get the nut off.

Tried that - with water pump pliers, g-glamp and mole grips.

Have you tried leaving it in rice overnight?

(My new smart-arse answer to all technical problems)

No

I did remove it in the end by cutting it off with an angle grinder.

In typical shite-fiddling style, I found I needed a Torx T60 bit for the lower shock mount - in an atypical development, the bolt came undone OK.

Now in the "assembly is the reverse of dismantling" phase.  I have zero hope that the noise this was supposed to cure will be cured.

Did a rear wheel bearing on mine last week.

I did it at a mates garage as he has a press and oxy acetylene.  Both were needed (the oxy to cut the rear race off of the hub).

The rubber was also torn on the ball joint on the end of the top arm, luckily my mate had a box of spares and one fitted quite well but it was a bit of a struggle to get the clip back on the holds the big end of the rubber.

The brakes and upright/hub came off pretty easily.

I also noticed that the rear pads a quite thin, there is a bit of a ridge on the disc, and the rubber boot on the rear caliper is split.

So more time and expense will be needed.  Oh joy.

• 3 weeks later...

Any interest in a sale or riffle for this?

I have new chod incoming so need to wave goodbye to it.

It has issues or I wouldn’t be selling it but it’s a lovely drive

It has a file full of history too (most from previous owner).

It has a lovely light grey interior with light coloured wood which somehow doesn’t look as old fashioned to my eyes as the dark stuff....I am rambling now and boring myself.

£500 ish? It has long MOT I am near J23 M1.

Had a few PMs asking about good and bad points/issues so I am listing here as I am a lazy swine

Issues -

Going to need at least one, probably two tyres (front) soon (mentioned on MOT)

Knock from front suspension (the graunching noise it was making has been cured by fitting a second hand top wishbone) - it's passed 2 MOTS with this.  Only noticeable on speed bumps).

Rear driveshaft boot split (mentioned on MOT) - I have not looked at this to see how bad it is so only have MOT tester's word on it.

Front brakes are noisy and have an occasional wobble - I fitted new discs (per thread) but maybe needs another set.

Bury Hands Free kit fitted but faulty.

Rear number plate light out.

Due to a bit of my own stupidity, there's the metal end off a petrol syphoning pipe in the fuel filler - this makes
petrol filling a very slow affair - but the good news is it doesn't use much petrol as it runs on LPG from the massive tank in the boot.  If this bothered anyone, would need the filler pipe removing to retrieve it - no idea if this is a tiny or massive job.

Folding door mirrors - don't

and finally (maybe) just remembered the headlamp wash doesn't work and the plastic undertray is missing (see upthread for epic tale of me spending ages and money on refitting it to rip it off on a high kerb the day after).

Good (better) stuff

Made of Aluminium

Factory HID lights - fitted with a replacement ballast to one and new burners (see thread) - they are good.

Private reg J6 KVS included (I hate private reg numbers but it came with this and it would've been hassle to change it).

(Steel) Sub frames rusty but front one now has a fair bit of Dynax on it.

Drives nicely - quiet and smooth and less incidence of the lurch (TADTS - except random ones that don't) than on the other (much more expensive lower mileage) X350 I had.

LPG working and registered so gets £10 VED discount and insurers are happy.  It's a big tank as well - I did the round trip from here to Sunbury on Thames recently and some local running around on the one tank.

No warning lights etc

MOT until September 2019

Working aircon and heating (dual zone climate)

Touch screen sat nav and radio - single slot CD (6 changer in boot doesn't work).  No aux/ipod/iphone etc but I've been using an FM transmitter jobby and the Bury kit will stream from a phone via bluetooth - that bit works) but in mono only and not great quality)

Will send buyer the downloaded factory workshop manual I bought if wanted.

Spare second hand front banana link thingy for suspension and indicator stalk included.

Full size alloy spare wheel in correct place in boot as the LPG tank is behind the seats.

Have just fitted a brand new genuine Jag front nearside brake hose (hence question in the ask thread about releasing the bleed nipple) - this was mentioned on the MOT.

Please don't hate/kill me if I have forgotten anything - there's nothing major anyway.