Forum Funding - Statement of account UPDATED 04/11/2021

Stanky

• Stanky unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Funding update for July 2021. Things have been busy here and I forgot to run a money pool in June or for this month, so just playing catchup. I'll cover £25 of June.

May's hosting & backup costs came to £50.76, plus £25.65 for the renewal of the forum software. We received contributions of £80.01 (thanks @ macscrooge!). At this point the account was £3.46 in credit. In June the hosting & backup bill was £52.06, and July the bill was £50.61.

This leaves the account balance at -£74.21 - I'll open up the moneypool with a £80 target to get us back into credit. This month's bill should just be hosting & backups. Moneypool can be found HERE

• Stanky changed the title to Forum Funding - Statement of account UPDATED 11/07/2021
  • Stanky pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Just a heads up, PayPal are ending the money pool service in November. 

Thanks, yeah they emailed me yesterday to give me the good* news. Bit of a PITA as it worked pretty well generally speaking. I'm looking at alterntives currently, I'd prefer not to go back to Fundrazr/GoFundMe etc as they take a cut, but it is very important to remain transparent about what money we're getting in.

Unless there is a better solution, maybe friends and family paypal with maybe screenshots.

Personally I'm not too bothered about transparency, I know forums cost money and I personally give what I feel is a fair when I can. Ultimately it's a donation(voluntary) and not forced so never feel short changed.

Thanks both,

Absolutely no disrespect to either @Eyersey1234 or @Agila as you have both joined more recently, but the major forum-geddon in mid 2017 came about in part due to there being some extremely shady dealings with donations and running costs not being transparent, and accusations that the previous site admin was profiting substantially from donations. None of this was ever proven one way or another, but what I do know is that it came very close to all the forum content being irrecoverably lost as a result.

One of the major things I have implemented since taking the reins over was to ensure that each month, all donations come through a common, publicly accessible method so everyone can see exactly what money is being donated to keep things running. I am also more than happy to share any and all invoices related to running costs for anyone who wants to see them - for whatever reason. 

I'll keep a lookout for potential solutions, and am happy for anyone to make suggestions of solutions they might know of for our requirements.

15 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Thanks both,

Absolutely no disrespect to either @Eyersey1234 or @Agila as you have both joined more recently, but the major forum-geddon in mid 2017 came about in part due to there being some extremely shady dealings with donations and running costs not being transparent, and accusations that the previous site admin was profiting substantially from donations. None of this was ever proven one way or another, but what I do know is that it came very close to all the forum content being irrecoverably lost as a result.

One of the major things I have implemented since taking the reins over was to ensure that each month, all donations come through a common, publicly accessible method so everyone can see exactly what money is being donated to keep things running. I am also more than happy to share any and all invoices related to running costs for anyone who wants to see them - for whatever reason. 

I'll keep a lookout for potential solutions, and am happy for anyone to make suggestions of solutions they might know of for our requirements.

No disrespect taken. I wasn't aware of the problems in 2017. Thank you for the work you do in keeping the site running. 

Funding update for August 2021. 

Following my tardiness last month, July's hosting & backup costs came to £50.60. We received contributions of £80.00. At this point the account is £3.38 in credit. 

I'll open up the moneypool with a £50 target. This month's bill should just be hosting & backups.

Moneypool can be found HERE

Please note, Paypal are withdrawing the Moneypool service as of September so I'll need to find an alternative option as above. I'll update as I get a chance to see what other choices there are for us, with minimal fees being the priority.

• Stanky changed the title to Forum Funding - Statement of account UPDATED 05/08/2021
  • 1 month later...

Funding update for October 2021. 

I covered the hosting bill last month as I came into some unexpected pocket money, the bill for hosting & backups Sept was £49.11 so we're currently at -£45.73. 

As stated before, Paypal have withdrawn their moneypool service so this month I have gone back to Fundrazr. This isn't ideal, as they take a small (~8%) cut of the money donated, but this is a much smaller actual amount as the target is much lower than it used to be. As such, I've set the target at £60 this month to get us back into the black. I don't foresee any additional costs this month. Next month the forum software is due for renewal so I'll sort that out and adjust next month's target accordingly.

Fundrazr can be found HERE

Additionally, after getting on for 5 years as AS treasurer I will be stepping down from mid-November. Life is very busy for me currently and its time for someone else to take the reins. I'll be sticking about on here but won't be part of the staff any longer.

• Stanky changed the title to Forum Funding - Statement of account UPDATED 06/10/2021