Forum Funding - Statement of account UPDATED 04/11/2021

Stanky

Since the Diecast Roffle is now fully paid up and drawing tonight, all monies raised from the 59 tickets at £2 a pop have have now been passed over to the Fundrazr page. With a wee bit of rounding up, that's an additional £120 donated to Dave21478's Memorial Fund.

As mentioned above, a diecast sub-roffle for any johnny-come-latelys is still very much open and drawing on Friday evening, with a further donation to be made to the fund from these proceeds. If you're interested in taking part for a star prize of a Mystery 1/43 Diecast, just let me know and I'll provide payment details.

Thanks to everyone here for your great generosity! This place, etc...

Bop her the money, I've been through a few crematorium runs recently and the pressure of unexpected invoice amounts is not helpful. 

I'm going to second this one. I gave because I wanted to show what he meant to us in a way the family would appreciate. If that means a charity donation OR giving the funds directly to the family to assist with the cost of funeral doings, either is entirely fine by me.

Proceeds of the Diecast Sub-Roffle, drawn tonight, now added to the mix. Fantastic stuff, chaps - thanks to all who chipped in.

EDIT: and another donation to the Fundrazr, sent through the Sub-Roffle channel. That's £145 in total, for some diecast models I couldn't manage to shift at a car boot sale. You guys are ace.

I'm going to second this one. I gave because I wanted to show what he meant to us in a way the family would appreciate. If that means a charity donation OR giving the funds directly to the family to assist with the cost of funeral doings, either is entirely fine by me.

Yes, unless he left a fair amount, which is non of our business, but unlikely, or a funeral plan, which is even less likely, I'd also say bung her the money to do with as she needs.

Totally agree, let’s just give it to Dave’s family unless someone strongly feels otherwise in the next 24 hours. It was never about the (unspecified) charity for me, it was about a small gesture that expressed some appreciation for what Dave had given us.

I’m guessing that goes for most of us. Nobody elected me spokesman though, so feel free to disagree. But we need to decide soon.

Edited for more neutral language - people are perfectly entitled to feel differently from me.

Totally agree, let’s just give it to Dave’s family unless someone howls otherwise in the next 24 hours. It was never about the (unspecified) charity for me, it was about a small gesture that expressed some appreciation for what Dave had given us.

I’m guessing that goes for most of us. Nobody elected me spokesman though, so feel free to disagree. Soon.

You’re, of course. right dear boy.

I’m absolutely consumed with guilt that Dave and I got off on the wrong foot. In all likelihood, face to face, we’d have been quite good chums. That’s the weird world we live in now.

Anyway, I’d like to see his family use my money as they see fit. If that’s on funeral costs or flight costs or repatriation of belongings, I don’t care. I’ll find a smidge of comfort in the fact that it didn’t cost them their own money to bury their 40 year old relative.

Well done everyone for being thoroughly decent; it’s been a learning curve - and deeply humbling to see such generosity.

Concurring with the last few posts, offer to the family to use as they see fit. Pay day next a week tomorrow; hopefully the Fundrazr is still active so I can make a donation on top of the £2 for the mystery Diecast sub-roffle.

Dave sounds like the sort of chap I'd have got on well with.

Hate to be unpopular but I disagree with giving it to the family.

The fundraising was for charity and a wreath - we need to be very careful about changing what the end funds go to - this has been brought up before.

We are also making huge assumptions about peoples needs etc. If there was an issue with the costs of the funeral then we could collect for that - but no one has asked us for it. If they had then that is a different discussion - perhaps offering people the opportunity to withdraw or change the donations.

We're not saying it MUST be given to the family, but that it would make sense to give them a choice. They can have it if they wish, or they can nominate a charity. I think people donated as a sign of the measure of the man than any crying desire to give money to charity. I know I did.

I’m with DW - my point was that we could give it to the family to deploy as they see fit, be it a charity they deem suitable or a contribution to the send-off. As opposed to us choosing a charity, which will be even more difficult to agree on.

I would normally be very cross about funds given to one specific cause being diverted to another, but the end recipient of the donations was never specified so I think this case is different.

Totally agree about waiting to see what the family say.

Soon as we know anything we will let you know.

Quite frankly staggered at the amount of donations and no matter where it goes I think it shows this place is what it once was before it got worse then better or something....

Wanders off to find a roffle to enter...

I've been round at Dave's sister's house tonight, she's not long back from France, I also ended up speaking to Dave's other sister in France on the phone.

Both of which expressed sincere thanks for the kind words on here (before and since) and the collection.

I was told that Dave's neighbours insisted on providing the wake, closed the road in the hamlet and all came together (literally every single person) to provide the food and drink.

I doubt this was done officially but i suspect permission would have been easy if it was.

Both the mayors of the area he resided in and the one he worked in called his sister to express their sympathies having known him personally.

Does anyone remember posts about him repairing a disability vehicle (possibly some sort of sans-permit car)?

An elderly, disabled (and mostly housebound) neighbour of his had crashed the vehicle in question, when Dave found he went round to hers, got the keys and recovered the vehicle (requiring a trailer rather than just a pickup bed).

He fixed it (including buying new parts) and delivered it back to her, refusing to take a penny for his work.

Neither of his sisters knew this woman or that he had fixed her car until last week.

Thanks for the update, Tayne. It’s always nice to hear (although not surprising for those who knew him) that he was so well liked where he lived.

I do remember a mention of those sans-permis cars in one of Dave’s posts. I did a Google site search to find the links above but I’m out of the country for the moment and only have my phone

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, we are at an astonishing £1,642 right now, which after fees and the wreath we sent for Dave's funeral is £1480.

I'm going to leave the Fundrazr open until this coming Sunday, 19th August then wrap it up.

We're still in the process of sorting a charity, or charities, for the money to go towards. I'll update everyone shortly on this.