Modern shite and corrosion

bunglebus

ROFL!

Disagree.

20160717_121109_001_zpstiz60fg2.jpg

Historically, I prefer 80s stuff, but these days I CBA with the rot and often shite build quality. A 90s Toyota is the pinnacle of superb build quality and is a car that is built to last.

If you can find any rot on my 1992 example, you can drive it over the bridge.

My J reg AE92 Corolla after a bit of trimming:

CF78E079-B042-4EA6-A481-6A2D4364BA64.jpg

They all rot in the rear arches.

My X reg Accord Type R, discovered last night:

20170622_184237.jpg

Hidden behind the plastic arch liner..

The 52 plate Alfa Romeo GTV is immaculate underneath..

I think it's just better hidden now to be honest..

Disagree.

20160717_121109_001_zpstiz60fg2.jpg

Historically, I prefer 80s stuff, but these days I CBA with the rot and often shite build quality. A 90s Toyota is the pinnacle of superb build quality and is a car that is built to last.

If you can find any rot on my 1992 example, you can drive it over the bridge.

I'll bet your rear toe control arm adjusters are seized solid with rust though!

I'll bet your rear toe control arm adjusters are seized solid with rust though!

Mine aren't, but the ones on a newer, Rev 3 turbo that I broke, were (it also had rust lol).

I plan to uprate mine to nice alloy Hard Race stuff, anyway. :-)

VW and Merc commercials are also really bad, I remember seeing a 3 year old 10 plate Sprinter which had random blebs of rust in the middle of panels etc, really bad, and our local council still use VW Crafter minibuses which even on 09s look like they were dumped in rivers and canals when new and were only pulled out recently.

There are some absolutely horrendous examples of these cruising the streets over here

The only exception in a van seems to be the Vivaro/Trafic family

They simply do not rust unless there is obvious damage,usually incorrectly jacked up on the sills

There are some absolutely horrendous examples of these cruising the streets over here

The only exception in a van seems to be the Vivaro/Trafic family

They simply do not rust unless there is obvious damage,usually incorrectly jacked up on the sills

I'd second the Vivaro/Traffic/Nissanwhatever, we've got 3 at work and mines a 12 plate that has been 'offroad' loads and it's still immaculate underneath, it probably helps that it gets jet washed regularly and I've had the arch liners out a few times- the amount of mud/silt behind was ridiculous and will rot the sill ends out eventually.

Late Transits seems to rust above the windscreen quite well.

I have repaired a fair few now.

Also Later golfs and other VAG stuff go on the front wheel arches because they used a thick block of foam bonded to the inner wing to give support which of course traps moisture.

Done a few of them too

Usually its an uphill struggle to get anything sorted under manufacturers anti-corrosion warranties, but VW are sorting these with no fuss at all, I know loads of people whove had them done by VW with not even any %age of a contribution from the customer, ive had mine done as well, despite one of my wings having had a previous paint job for a dent, because they deemed that generally any part which has had paintwork not done by a VW bodyshop as invalidating the warranty on that panel, but mine was found to be so far away from the rusted area it couldnt possibly be related, 2 nice shiny new wings FOC on an 8year old, 140,000 mile car, also had the sills done at the front, only issue is they said if the rust returns on the sills i wouldnt get them done again but if the new wings go rusty before 12 years old theyd repair or replace them again, and I had to pay for the front doors being blended because VW refused to pay for that arguing there was nothing wrong with the doors, I tried to argue the point that if the wings hadnt rusted then they wouldnt need replaced and obviously therefore my doors wouldnt need blended, they dug their heels in and I had to pay 150quid for that to be done. 

My car had had genuine VW mudflaps fitted either at the dockside or by a dealer later on and when i removed them the part which sits against the paintwork on the wings had bubbled badly with rust, I find these new moulded mudflaps are awful for causing that, not like the proper old flappy ones. 

They wouldnt cover the full cost of a new tailgate however, for the well documented rust round the rear number plate lights, VW would only cover 50% leaving me with a £360 bill, so i didnt bother, I could actually get hold of a brand new genuine tailgate and get it painted and fitted for less than that. They tried telling me a new tailgate RRP was £405 + VAT on its own, yeah maybe at retail, but it was a VW bodyshop doing the job for VW so probably getting the tailgate at cost, and then a reduced labour rate, so me paying £360 was probably how much it would cost VW to have the dealer bodyshop repair it even if they agreed to cover the full cost. They were saying theyd want to put a new tailgate on it to ensure the rust wasnt going to come back but my tailgate is fine and its just rusted there where the paint has flaked off, but hasnt gone crusty, just surface, so im tempted to just get the existing one repainted and see how it goes, trouble with that is the inherent design flaw of the rear number plate light fixing design, I believe new tailgates have been modified to use a different method of affixing the lights to prevent this occurring.  

Where the outer door seals on the rear doors stop, years of opening and closing the rear doors had rubbed on the door shuts and not wore the paint away but actually rusted them at the exact same place both sides, VW wouldnt cover that, instead the bodyshop put some clear sticky film over it to stop it getting any worse.

Ive still to take the front arch liners off and make sure the bodyshop did the mod on those foam soundproofing pieces to stop them rubbing the wings and rusting them all over again, I suspect ill just bin them, but that will wait until I replace the smashed arch liners with screw holes for the mudflaps that got binned. 

I had no joy from Mitsubishi under the corrosion warranty.  The car, a Mitsubishi i (660cc turbo), started to rust from the inside out at 5 years old, pushing the exterior metalwork out over the rear wheel arches and the lower edge of the bonnet.  Despite a main dealer providing a back-up report and another report from a Mitsubishi approved bodyshop which included photographs, plus all paperwork for servicing and inspections complying with the warranty requirements, Mitsubishi turned it down, saying the corrosion was from stone chips on the outside.  Complete bollocks!  I offered to drive it down to their headquarters in Cirencester so that they could see what me, the dealer and the bodyshop had accurately reported.  Several months of arguing the case came to nothing.  It put me off ever buying a new Mitsubishi again.  I got a better bonnet of a scrap car and slowed the rust over and in the arches as best I could.  A couple of years later (out of warranty) the turbo shed a blade which also wrecked the waste gate. £1,500 to get it fixed.  I declined to spend that much on a rusting small engined automatic car with 83,000 on the clock and  signed it off for disposal. Someone, probably with scrappy connections, fixed it and it still lives.  Good luck to them.  

I had no joy from Mitsubishi under the corrosion warranty.  The car, a Mitsubishi i (660cc turbo), started to rust from the inside out at 5 years old, pushing the exterior metalwork out over the rear wheel arches and the lower edge of the bonnet.  Despite a main dealer providing a back-up report and another report from a Mitsubishi approved bodyshop which included photographs, plus all paperwork for servicing and inspections complying with the warranty requirements, Mitsubishi turned it down, saying the corrosion was from stone chips on the outside.  Complete bollocks!  I offered to drive it down to their headquarters in Cirencester so that they could see what me, the dealer and the bodyshop had accurately reported.  Several months of arguing the case came to nothing.  It put me off ever buying a new Mitsubishi again.  I got a better bonnet of a scrap car and slowed the rust over and in the arches as best I could.  A couple of years later (out of warranty) the turbo shed a blade which also wrecked the waste gate. £1,500 to get it fixed.  I declined to spend that much on a rusting small engined automatic car with 83,000 on the clock and  signed it off for disposal. Someone, probably with scrappy connections, fixed it and it still lives.  Good luck to them.  

I dont have much positive things to say about VW whatsoever, but what I will say in their favour is they are good about things like this, and they also dont require main dealer servicing with the anti corrosion checks done to cover it under warranty. Infact mines hadnt been near a VW dealer in 5 years for anything and it was covered no fuss.

I had an Astra that wasnt yet 5 years old, (05 plate in 2010) and where the rear bumper met the rear 1/4s and rear arches somehow the metal rusted there on both sides, I called Vauxhall directly who basically said dont even bother taking it to a dealer or approved bodyshop for inspection because even if it was perforation which would be covered by the corrosion warranty, youve not had it main dealer serviced, and unless youve got all the relevant corrosion checks carried out and detailed and stamped in the service book, we wont cover it, (it was possible to have these cars serviced outside of the main dealer network and then taken to a Vauxhall main dealer for a separate corrosion check at £30 per year to maintain the warranty) The impression I got also was even had the car been main dealer serviced from new and all the corrosion check sections filled out, theyd find another excuse to wriggle out.

Plus Vauxhalls anti-corrosion warranty is only 6 years, on VWs its 12, and id imagine theres going to be more corrosion issues between 6-12 years old than between 0-6, so they were good that way. 

Funnily enough im sure most manufacturers give their commercial vehicles longer anti corrosion warranties than their passenger cars, despite vans being more prone to being rusty heaps than cars. 

My Renault 19 has no visible rust whatsoever, not bad for 27 years old.  No welding underneath either, hoping it doesn't need any this time! Likewise the Cavalier I'm negotiating to buy back has only recently had its first bit of welding in the boot.   Arches and sills are solid at 22 years old and over 150k miles.

My 2000 Micra has a nasty rash on one front wing though, and is generally going very crispy down below.  But I think that's normal.

Before and after shots of the roof rails of my Civic. Conveniently hidden under plastic trim, this was exposed when the front windscreen was replaced.

After I clean off the rust on there, it left a small (1-2mm) hole. I put rust remedy all around it and then plugged the hole with metal epoxy stuff. Finally painting it over with a touch up stick. This was in 2015, so no idea what it's like 2 years later. At least it's not a structural area though!

These Civics are also prone to rusting just above the windshield. Caused by a badly designed rubber seal that runs away at the paintwork. Apparently the type-r are affected worse. Probably because they have harder suspension and more flexing is put through the bodywork.

post-20071-0-38351700-1498380642_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-47998600-1498381098_thumb.jpg

Not corrosion related, But to add to what Hendry said about VW.. Last Year, When I had my 2001 Vw Golf GTi 1.8t, I read about the coil pack recall on ALL VW/AUDI/SKODA cars fitted with the 1.8t engine.

This is a well documented fault & I thought I would phone the main VW Dealer regarding this.

I phoned Western VW down at Newbridge, expecting them to laugh their heads off when I told them the year of my car & to ask if there any outstanding recall work regarding the coil packs.

Imagine my surprise when they told me that my car was covered by the recall & to get it booked in with them to replace all x4 coil packs FOC,

I did just that & they did indeed replace all x4 coil packs Free of charge! On a 15 year old mk4 golf, with nearly 160,000 miles on it.

Pretty amazing

& Now onto the corrosion issue, I have recently got a 2004, 54 plate Audi A3 2.0 TDI & The front wings at the wheel arches are bubbling up quite badly....Do you think Audi will be interested in fixing it?

In its defense, The car has full Audi Service History, supplying dealer since new. & has NOT been subject to any dodgy bodywork repairs.

Will I get told to FRO by Audi if I phone them?

I didn't when I contacted VW on a 2004 Golf. They did a paint thickness test at their approved body shop, which came back as original paint. He was confident it would be accepted. I sold it before they confirmed it for sure though! This was about 2 or 3 years ago.

Watch out though, as VAG will only cover the cost of a new wing and fresh paint. No colour match/etc, which will be extra. If you're not bothered about a wing slightly different colour (i.e. what it came out the factory with fresh paint), then it'd be free...

Amazingly, I had a similar experience with an early Vectra-B...

I bought the 'R' registered car when it was around 7 years old, had done a million miles (not quite :D) but did have a relatively comprehensive service history from various main dealers.

There was a bit of rust around the rear door latches; it was a bit of a 'thing' with them when they were new-ish and a well documented fault, that apparently Vx would repair under warranty.

To my absolute amazement, they took one look at the car, apologised profusely and booked it in straight away to be fully repaired, FOC.  I couldn't believe it, even at 7yo, it was a banger I'd paid little for and had owned for less than two weeks.

It was immaculately sorted and was otherwise rust-free for the time I had it.

The repair you've effected there though should last the car out though.

Yeah, it's a late 2007 and done just under 140k. Being a modern diesel and me averaging 12k per year, it's probably only got a few more years until something big goes pop. Having to change/replace a turbo/injectors/timing chain/etc will be the end of it for me.

Guest Hooli

A workmate has recently been told to FO by VW for the front arch issue on his '02 Golf. It's not been painted or anything, but they are pretending it has.

64f2480ded8f1ae8f1e9411d1ad47dfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a Flickr user, can't remember their name now, who uploaded a picture of some of the 30,000 Navaras which were bought back by Nissan to be scrapped, not unlike the Lancia Beta Scheme. 53 to 59 plate examples are the models apparently affected.

The seams on the front chassis rails on my vectra had started to swell up by the time it expired at 13 years old, and there was a small hole in one rear chassis rail outwith prescribed area. The rear door latch had some rust around it too which didn't get any worse.

Corsa Bs are terrible for it. Thankfully I was aware of this before mine got too bad and had it sorted out. I was looking at an early SRi model at a show recently that the owner wanted £2k for. I inspected it where mine was starting to go and there was just fresh air.

The MK1 Megane is pretty good I think. Few pinheads on the rear arches and some surface corrosion on one chassis leg behind the headlight (now sorted) but apart from that no advisories.

My MK4 Astra is spotless underneath but that doesn't count as it's not seen a winter since 2007.

Rear chassis rails seem to go on some moderns as they aren't undersealed a lot of the time, just painted.

Not corrosion related, But to add to what Hendry said about VW.. Last Year, When I had my 2001 Vw Golf GTi 1.8t, I read about the coil pack recall on ALL VW/AUDI/SKODA cars fitted with the 1.8t engine.

This is a well documented fault & I thought I would phone the main VW Dealer regarding this.

I phoned Western VW down at Newbridge, expecting them to laugh their heads off when I told them the year of my car & to ask if there any outstanding recall work regarding the coil packs.

Imagine my surprise when they told me that my car was covered by the recall & to get it booked in with them to replace all x4 coil packs FOC,

I did just that & they did indeed replace all x4 coil packs Free of charge! On a 15 year old mk4 golf, with nearly 160,000 miles on it.

Pretty amazing

& Now onto the corrosion issue, I have recently got a 2004, 54 plate Audi A3 2.0 TDI & The front wings at the wheel arches are bubbling up quite badly....Do you think Audi will be interested in fixing it?

In its defense, The car has full Audi Service History, supplying dealer since new. & has NOT been subject to any dodgy bodywork repairs.

Will I get told to FRO by Audi if I phone them?

Unfortunately I suspect you will, but only because id imagine Audis are 12year anti corrosion guarantee will be 12years, just like VW, which a 54 plater will be out of by now.