Peugeot 306. Open surgery

D Spares & Tyres

Guest Hooli

Considering a good 90% of the safety in a car is the driver's ability, how can fixing it possibly be a bad thing? You'll only need it if you crash & that's very rare unless you do something stupid.

It's heartwarming to see someone happy to repair an old car, one that's been a faithful companion and has earned some care, rather than some soulless appliance to be disposed and replaced with some shit on tick. Anyone who would be concerned at allowing their offspring into a repaired car should contemplate the likelihood that future cars will have better crash protection, and should lock the little snots in a cellar for the next decade.

I often find the people screaming about newer cars having better crash protection then tend drive around with their brake pads down to the metal, two tyres half bald because the tracking is fucked and they have no idea that tyres should have air in them, and the tyres themselves are WanLi Super Dark Horse Ditchfinder specials....

I often find the people screaming about newer cars having better crash protection then tend drive around with their brake pads down to the metal, two tyres half bald because the tracking is fucked and they have no idea that tyres should have air in them, and the tyres themselves are WanLi Super Dark Horse Ditchfinder specials....

Fail to prepare and prepare to fail.

Anyone ever done an advanced driving course? I did a few years ago and found it useful. I don't drive like a saint but helped me with awareness. That's got to be worth a few ncap points.

I did the IAM (institute of Advanced Motorists) course some years ago and you are right. Although far from perfect, I notice that I seem to see things long before other drivers. as proved by sudden swerving and brake lights for an obstacle that could be clearly seen for 100s of yards. 

On the welding, the 2cv had some pretty serious welding when I first got it (about 90% of the original purchase price!) and has had various patches over the years. One year the mechanic said "that welding is dreadful, who did that?"  "you did, last year!" "Oh, that will be fine then!"  This was about 20 years ago, and so far I have not died or even been injured in the car! 

If you have the skill to make a good strong job of it, then go for it. Who knows how long that has been developing, and you have been fine, now it will be full strength and driving a car that you know is good otherwise. Better than buying something else that may have faulty brakes or other dangers.

After reading this thread, I went out and checked the same point in my wife's Peugeot 306. I fear the worst as I have discovered her car has absolutely no metal whatsoever in the C post on either side and someone seems to have made a 'makeshift repair' using cloth in this area of the car.

I did the IAM (institute of Advanced Motorists) course some years ago and you are right. Although far from perfect, I notice that I seem to see things long before other drivers. as proved by sudden swerving and brake lights for an obstacle that could be clearly seen for 100s of yards.

A long, long time ago, I gave a lift to an IAM member who was head of the people's front of Judea (or something, he was high up the rankings, I think) once. Friend of a friend. 

I was genuinely interested in improving my driving at the time but he was an overly critical, patronising pain in the arse. Thing is, I wasn't even having an assessment - I was just doing a mate a favour. 

Two miles into a five mile journey I pulled up in a residential street and told him to walk the rest of the way home. 

'But it's raining.'

'If you're thrown a bone, don't moan to me about what it tastes like. Door's next to you.' 

A charming* man, make no mistake. Put me right off. I don't rate my driving that highly, as it goes, but I certainly wasn't paying him to jism on for any amount of time. 

After reading this thread, I went out and checked the same point in my wife's Peugeot 306. I fear the worst as I have discovered her car has absolutely no metal whatsoever in the C post on either side and someone seems to have made a 'makeshift repair' using cloth in this area of the car.

Pictures or it didn't happen. I'm wary of Autoshite's dark sarcastic humour.

Signature - Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

You fooled me for a minute there!

Pictures or it didn't happen. I'm wary of Autoshite's dark sarcastic humour.

I have just been and checked again and it seems even the canvas repair on the C post has disappeared. I never knew the rust was so bad in these that the whole roof simply vanishes.

People on here just love to moan and argue at the moment so a thread with big differences in opinion is always going to be popular. Saying that, the Bangernomics crew can Fuck right off.

You make my misanthropy look like mere amateurish prattle.