Peugeot 306. Open surgery

D Spares & Tyres

I'm not suggesting he buys something for £2-300 a month on a padded cell on wheels. I'd just buy another car that's not rotten through like that is. You don't have to spend a lot to get that, I drive my kids about in a £350 Mondeo, it's safe though that's the main thing.

Even if you've a new car, you could just as easy be killed in a car accident, when your times up it's up as they say.

I know it's a seatbelt mount,and directly responsible for the safety of the user but how is that any more dangerous to weld/repair than,say,the rear beam mounts?

If you're happy with your standard of welding then go for it

The edges of that particular panel will only be spot welded around its edges as built in failure points

It does hinge on how bad is the rest of the car though...

I've driven my kids around in a 67 herald with no rear seat belts, I must be the worst parent on earth!

I have just recently driven my children around in a '67 R16 with no floorboards, let alone rear seat belts,

front ones that are heroically shit and get this - LHD! - which we all know is certain death in itself.

So if you are the worst parent on Earth, I'm the worst parent of the Universe!

A friend of ours is ferrying her children around in a Fiat 500 Giardiniera, with sod all belts and suicide doors.

So what she is doing is premediated homicide, right?

I haven't even had kids so I'm an even worser parent still.

I think everyone is getting a bit over-emotive on the subject because seatbelt mounts + kids are involved, but the OP sounds as though he's well aware of safety and takes it seriously (probably more seriously than most) so if he feels he has the skills to do a satisfactory repair then I have no reason to doubt that.

Its his kids he's gonna be putting in there after all.

I'm not suggesting he buys something for £2-300 a month on a padded cell on wheels. I'd just buy another car that's not rotten through like that is. You don't have to spend a lot to get that, I drive my kids about in a £350 Mondeo, it's safe though that's the main thing.

Even if you've a new car, you could just as easy be killed in a car accident, when your times up it's up as they say.

Here's the thing, he says this car has just passed an MOT, if he were the unscrupulous type he could fit the plastic trim back on and flog this car onto a unsuspecting buyer who, rightly or wrongly, would assume that due to new MOT it's safe. My reply wasn't directed at anyone in particular for what its worth.

I'd like to see the repair no though! ;)

I doubt a £350 Ford would be hiding any rot......

Hmmm is it about time they used xray or radar sensing on known rust traps in the MOT? The technology seems to be there nowadays what with airport scanners/dentists and stuff.

I believe the Japanese have been doing this for some years, hence their old cars being worthless over there, then exported elsewhere!

I'm amazed that kids ever survived before bubble wrap was invented.

The snowflakes must be melting at the moment, probably all looking for safe spaces in freezer cabinets.

Seriously though, it does need repairing. Whether that will be satisfactory in your eyes is down to you. If not weigh it in.

I found the paradox of "higher safety standards" of a Swedish seat in an elderly French car quite interesting.

30 even 20 years ago child safety in cars wasn't as well pushed as it is now, You can't even buy a seat from Mothercare without a lecture first now, many people wouldn't even considering buying a 10 year old car now let alone a classic for their children as they believe all that they read about Ncap tests, I see no problem with having a child in a older car, though me and the wife do have heated discussions about forward and rearward facing seats in the older stuff, i prefer forwards and she keeps banging on about rearward but that's a different argument.

It's all a bit of a mine field really but my personal opinion is if the unthinkable happened that you wouldn't have to live with the fact that you could have prevented it from happening because you had a rotten or unsafe car that you knew about.

All those years ago there wasn't the options that there are now, or the facts and knowledge of what can happen, I'm sure the 306 can be fixed if you know what your doing, and to a perfectly fine standard but (and i know this sounds harsh, sorry) if you had a accident and the child was hurt because the the C post buckled or the belt pulled out the new panel then i couldn't live with myself. For the sake of what a 306 is worth these days I'd personally scrap it unless you know it's fixed 100% as strong as new.

No harm welding a repair section in there.  The car is made of the thinnest possible metal they can get away with, spot welded together and easily takes the weight.  A good panel in the correct shape welded well is absolutely up to the forces it needs to withstand in the event of an accident.

It needs good, correct welding though, not the usual pigeon crap you see in most photos on t'internet.

Talk about a contradiction! An old 306 is already unsafe by modern standards, nevermind a rotten one like that. Look at the size and shape of that hole! I can't believe you don't see the issue!  :?

Stop being a tight arse and buy something safe to ferry your kids around in, jeeeeez  :shock:

Definitely on the wrong forum.  A 306 unsafe by modern standards?  You mean it handles properly and you can see out the back of it?

I found the paradox of "higher safety standards" of a Swedish seat in an elderly French car quite interesting.

I should have mentioned that was MrsDodgy's logic......

However as a side note, we only buy the best quality stuff for babies and toddlers. It can usually be sold for very close to the new price

Definitely on the wrong forum.

Not at all, I have a 1989 car known for rotting and I like to moan about the people on pistonheads thus am qualified for AS

A 306 unsafe by modern standards?  You mean it handles properly and you can see out the back of it?

Yes that's correct. Handling 'properly' is subjective, and I'm not sure what part rear visibility would play if someone smashed in to the side of a 306 or he had a front end collision  :-D

It'd be nice to see it repaired properly and the car saved as it obviously means a lot to him, its just not what I'd do... 

30 even 20 years ago child safety in cars wasn't as well pushed as it is now, You can't even buy a seat from Mothercare without a lecture first now, many people wouldn't even considering buying a 10 year old car now let alone a classic for their children as they believe all that they read about Ncap tests, I see no problem with having a child in a older car, though me and the wife do have heated discussions about forward and rearward facing seats in the older stuff, i prefer forwards and she keeps banging on about rearward but that's a different argument.

Rear facing is significantly safer for children under a certain height. I think you should let her win that one.

Rear facing is significantly safer for children under a certain height. I think you should let her win that one.

Oh i agree on that, She is in our Focus, It's just the Dolomite i struggle with as i haven't got the length on the belt to get it rear facing very easily. 

I should have mentioned that was MrsDodgy's logic......

However as a side note, we only buy the best quality stuff for babies and toddlers. It can usually be sold for very close to the new price

We only buy the best quality stuff. Whenever tempted to try to save a few bob the "buy cheap, buy twice" phrase comes to mind. I won't be ripped off but I really try not to buy cheap, ever. If I can't justify it then I don't need it.