Scrap yards

stripped fred

I"m after a few bits for my sharan. I really want to go to a scrap yard like I remember going to with my dad where you get to take the bits off yourself. Are the 'u pull it' scrap yards the only ones where you can do this? Looking for one nearer Leicester if anyone knows of any? Has health and safety put a stop to most of these? The last time I went to my nearest one you had to tell then what you wanted and they had everything on shelves, already sorted. Not very good for smaller bits such as trim etc.

That's what I thought. Not many about nowadays. Just wondered if there are any in the Midlands? If not I will have a trip to 'u pull it' but York is a fair way from here.

Albert Looms in Derby is still like this!

Can see what they've got in the yard too: http://www.albertlooms.com/content.aspx?id=10

I can only think of two round here that still let you wonder about A1 scrap yard in Middleton (really cheap) and Dewsbury Road Autos Ossett (though this one is only accessible through the office.

The other two are ask at the desk type places. With the one next to the other one in Middleton being really helpful and the other ones in East Ardsley being the awkward types and expensive.

Michael Douglas in Carlisle is still that way, they make you wear hard hats but you are left to your own devices. Cheap too. There is another yard I know of that still has the cars stacked 3-4 tall and I have clambered into the second row of cars a couple of times.

http://www.mikedouglas.co.uk/

I recall comments that all the 'floaters', post 'The Great Deluge', were skipped there....

Must have made a mint (after hosing all the $hit off, mind.....)

I have had some bits out of 'AutoBits', on the road to Longtown, from Brampton. >> very 'in the trees!!'

TS

Albert Looms in Derby is still like this!

Can see what they've got in the yard too: http://www.albertlooms.com/content.aspx?id=10

I've been going to Looms since I was a teenager.  Most recently a few weeks ago to get some Mondeo bits and tyres.  

Cars aren't stacked which is helpful.

It's  a big yard so there's plenty of choice.

Only concession to H&S is there's now a man on the gate who insists you have a high vis waistcoat, for a pound deposit.

http://www.mikedouglas.co.uk/

I recall comments that all the 'floaters', post 'The Great Deluge', were skipped there....

Must have made a mint (after hosing all the $hit off, mind.....)

I have had some bits out of 'AutoBits', on the road to Longtown, from Brampton. >> very 'in the trees!!'

TS

Considering the owners house now has electric gates with gold lions on either side I'm sure they've done well. I've never even heard of AutoBits before.

I've had that with the hi vis. If it stops me getting squashed to death by a forklift then I'm fine with that. Mk2 Mondeo bits in a scrapyard? They're like rocking horse shit round our end.

Yes, no probs with the hi-vis either - the bloke even let me off the £1 deposit as I didn't have any change.

The other week when I went there were 3 MK2 Mondys to choose from - and a very high spec late Rover 75 Tourer.  

I've never even heard of AutoBits before.

As you leave Longtown, past the Ind est... You then see the big truck dealers, on the left... Keep going another 400yds, on the left you'll see Coal & Logs for sayle >> next opening is a recessed gateway (and a mass of chod!) + mobile home as an office. All sorts lodged among the trees :)

Google: Del's diner, longtown.

TS

Dont forget you can rip bits off of the Galaxy or Alhambra, Same Car.

Yeah, thanks for that. Definitely more galaxy's around. Some of the parts maybe available from other vag shite too such as switches and interior trim. Just need to get myself to the scrapyard and I can have a good look round.

I've been going to Looms since I was a teenager. Most recently a few weeks ago to get some Mondeo bits and tyres.

Cars aren't stacked which is helpful.

It's a big yard so there's plenty of choice.

Only concession to H&S is there's now a man on the gate who insists you have a high vis waistcoat, for a pound deposit.

I must go too often. He doesn't charge me!

in my neck of the woods they are fast becoming extinct,there seems to be a culture of bridge em and squish em,i blame the internet parts sites and dismantlers,i love nothing more than a good scrappy day,but not easy these days.

It's the same down here, I used to love going to my local one 'Newnham car spares' back in the day. The owner Roger loved to chat, in fact so much that I'd often forget what I'd gone in there for after about an hour of being locked in conversation. The cars were all stacked up to clamber over and I remember Rogers daily driving Riley Farina about 20 years ago, all just memories now....

Silverlake, Shedfield SO32, near Southampton. Well organised yard where you can take parts off yourself. All newish stuff, up to 15 years old. They do 2nd hand tyres fitted and balanced at excellent prices too. Alternatively, there are parts on the shelf ready to collect. I`ve always found them very helpful and the prices are good.

http://www.silverlake.co.uk/

If to go to Looms, you could probably convince the ASMM to helpfully* join in.

They've got both a Galaxy and an Alhambra in stock, and if it's engine bits you're after there's a whole fleet of 1.9TDI VWs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Brilliant, might get over this weekend.

Silverlake, Shedfield SO32, near Southampton. Well organised yard where you can take parts off yourself. All newish stuff, up to 15 years old. They do 2nd hand tyres fitted and balanced at excellent prices too. Alternatively, there are parts on the shelf ready to collect. I`ve always found them very helpful and the prices are good.

http://www.silverlake.co.uk/

Cheers, will put them on my list. I'm going to need to take a week off work to get round them all at this rate. Will be able to build a new car!

As you leave Longtown, past the Ind est... You then see the big truck dealers, on the left... Keep going another 400yds, on the left you'll see Coal & Logs for sayle >> next opening is a recessed gateway (and a mass of chod!) + mobile home as an office. All sorts lodged among the trees :)

Google: Del's diner, longtown.

TS

That was surprisingly coherent. Thanks, I'll check them out soon.

Sounds like a genuine slip up to be fair. I bet he's more careful these days.