So what is your garage like?

xkjagnz

Mine look like this-its actually a double - 18 feet wide-but doesn't look it in this picture. Plenty of room around one car.

sen8_zpswegsfmwx.jpg

I also have a big carport behind this gate

g3_zpsozlclqsa.jpg

The car port is 11 feet wide and 26 feet long-loads of room without garage clutter for working on the cars.

IMAG0545_zps5jftpigf.jpg

Steve

Plenty of outdoor space.

34100906703_a2d3af183c_c.jpgDSC_0763 by srblythe, on Flickr

34789698026_99ae97698a_c.jpgDSC_0716 by srblythe, on Flickr

Some old but usable equipment.

34681815766_0bf2248d88_c.jpgDSC_0675 by srblythe, on Flickr

34501057951_6530b8c91e_c.jpgDSC_0570 by srblythe, on Flickr

And not a lot of room inside.

34590361616_b7b132d7e4_c.jpgDSC_0592 by srblythe, on Flickr

We could probably fit a few more cars in but there would be no room to work.

Whoever designed/built my garage had a bit of sense about them, they built what is essentially a single garage but made it a little bit longer and a bit wider. This means there's plenty of room for a bench and storage/tools at the back (with side door) and to the left is several foot of recess for extra storage, in my case, that's where I keep the bike. This allows room for shelving up the other side, room for the 205 and enough space to walk past it front to back. Plus a big pitched roof that I've half boarded for additional space (mainly wood).

Painted the walls and floor, rewired the lot from scratch (loadsa lights and sockets!), built bench and shelving too. Did the sad anorak thing of designing and measuring everything and arranging it on CAD, worked out well though I want a bigger toolbox but it won't fit!!! Was a good re-hab project as did it all while recovering from injuries from a bike accident.

As I say, what could have been the normal waste of time single garage is something actually useful. 

The big car port in front of the garage too that'll take two small-ish cars (the 5 lives there). One of the best things I've ever built, spannering in the dry - you can't beat it!! 

(Couldn't attach photos for some reason)

I have no garage of my own, merely a car port.   This serves to keep most of the rain off the car but not the cat population of the whole street.   It also provides shelter under which to work although the car has to be shunted in and out to save me having to jam myself against a wall.   I also have a shed behind it which is too small to put a car in (except possibly a Peel) but is ample enough to fill up with other shit....

post-5367-0-08412800-1497097201_thumb.jpg

Best bit, though, is just beyond the shed.  No, not the Chinese laundry - beyond that.   Motor Factors!    

post-5367-0-36162800-1497097119_thumb.jpg

I have three lock ups as well but they are too far away to bother taking photos of....

newhome.jpg

Adequate. Formerly a row of double garages they've been panelled in to singles for ease of renting. With the driver's side close tight to the wall there is a couple of feet down t'other side for movement and there is a couple of a feet spare front and back for getting into the boot or, erm, being in front of the car? The bloke I rent it from said it was storage only and not to fuck about with cars inside it but I've chosen to tactically ignore him as he lives miles away...

The main problem with the garage at the moment is the fact it costs £70 a month and is 200 miles north of where I actually live...

This is the before of my lockup, I'm now attempting to tidy it up a bit so I can actually fit the car in.

So far this has involved smashing up that knackered table to make a bit of space to put a tool cabinet in. Note petrol can despite all of the cars I've owned being DERV. It came with the lockup, and was in fact nearly full, so I did the sensible thing to do with fuel of unknown quality/age and put it in my friend's Clio when he wasn't looking.

584f8056a1e533cbea51da2c38ca0f49.jpga6be51d01f731247a98247fd4195d6c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have what should be a fantastic garage, but its a massive PITA.

Its big enough to fit four cars, tractor and stuff in with room for workbenches etc, although I only keep 2 cars in it to allow more room for working on stuff.

post-17837-0-98460900-1497106349_thumb.jpg

However the floor is made of dirt and slopes steeply. Its steep enough to make using axle stands alarming, and the dirt surface means the wheels on jacks, engine hoist etc just dig in.

Throughout the summer its a massive dust-bowl too, with every footstep raising a cloud of fine dirt into the air and in winter turns into a bog with a literal river running through it.

post-17837-0-95322900-1497106367_thumb.jpg

I have what should be a fantastic garage, but its a massive PITA.

Its big enough to fit four cars, tractor and stuff in with room for workbenches etc, although I only keep 2 cars in it to allow more room for working on stuff.

attachicon.gifIMG_20161123_171058.jpg

However the floor is made of dirt and slopes steeply. Its steep enough to make using axle stands alarming, and the dirt surface means the wheels on jacks, engine hoist etc just dig in.

Throughout the summer its a massive dust-bowl too, with every footstep raising a cloud of fine dirt into the air and in winter turns into a bog with a literal river running through it.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150330_185527.jpg

How about a 'throw away' fix... Gouge out a cars worth at level/not sloping and 'pave' with plastic pallets (they seem to turn up in the wild) That would allow car tinkering on a jack - dry/non muddy - with just a steel plate for spreading weight :)

TS

It slopes the "wrong" way for that, I need to add dirt to make a level spot. Ideally I would level the whole floor, but it probably needs a couple of HGVs worth of fill. It doesnt look it in the photos, but there is a drop of about 2 meters.

It needs doing properly....hardcore, compactor, steelwork, expansion joints, cement....but thats way more money than I can afford these days and the rest of the structure isnt too rosy either...wobbly walls and floppy roof etc.

In an ideal scenario, next doors massive tree that overhangs it would fall over, knocking the bastard flat and crushing all my cars at the same time, then I could start from scratch courtesy of a fat insurance cheque.

post-20719-0-60190600-1497117594_thumb.jpgpost-20719-0-06217900-1497117659_thumb.jpgpost-20719-0-04220600-1497117719_thumb.jpgpost-20719-0-17319700-1497117747_thumb.jpg

Here's my garage, double but with extra length on one side! That is because the garage was 17 feet long but my Impala is a shade under 18 feet so one side had to be extended. Could only do one side as it's in front of the house and couldn't extend forward as there's a horse chestnut tree with a protection order on it. But both my oldies fit in there nicely with room for shelving and tools etc. 

Xkjagnz has a survivalist bunker.

Stevebrookman has what looks like a Viet Cong forward base or maybe a cannabis farm.

FOAD has a Bulgarian fire station or maybe a Russian police station.

Lord Sterling has a Scandinavian Lutheran church.

DVee8 lives in Stirling Moss's bungalow.

Captain70s triumph is on an isolation ward.