Garage Wall Number Plates, What Were They On? Now 2023 Edition

MorrisItalSLX

BTA987L

ELY165J

Q478PFE

Vehicle details could not be found

TFS200V ; Ford, Brown, 1298cc, petrol, last tax 01/04/1993

It is odd how some vehicles have vanished off the system

M320WPX is "Vehicle details could not be found" but I know it was a R19 white diesel when I owned it and traded it in in 2005.

(Mind you thinking of some of the parts it eat, becoming an Uncar in an Orwellian way is the least it deserved)

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

It’s time for another round of Identify That Number Plate! *applause*

Today’s entries are:

BAE870J
CMW248L
RCG263G

With bonus mystery plate
CC32884

1aa08dcf5e29a80aeb1ec151125a5eb6.jpg

Answers on the back of a postcard please.

just read through this thread :)

the DVLA checker has come some way since the thread has started, you no longer need to know anything bout the car, except the reg no :)  https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

(I had 1970mgb, in the states, try it out a few months ago for shits and giggles, exactly to see if it would block him or not, and it didn't interestingly enough)

just read through this thread

the DVLA checker has come some way since the thread has started, you no longer need to know anything bout the car, except the reg no   https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

(I had a 1970mgb, in the states, try it out for shits and giggles, exactly to see if it would block him or not, and it didn't interestingly enough)

Well bugger me with a fish fork, it works!

Although, that kind of defeats the point of this thread now (not that that’s a bad thing!).

7 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Well bugger me with a fish fork, it works!

Although, that kind of defeats the point of this thread now (not that that’s a bad thing!).

happy to hear it works now :) 

you can still update this thread with pictures of the reg plates you find, and also what cars they went with :)

• 8 months later...

It’s been a while, but I have some new plates for the list:

BBD491B - Vehicle details could not be found

GVB626J - Vehicle details could not be found

SAD588N - Red Jaguar 4.2, Untaxed since 1st February 1987

AE374C86-4F60-4944-8EA3-83FC7C6298E0.thumb.jpeg.8c569dd6f963a6b77dbb58bd7c8a8412.jpeg

I also have a more challenging one, SUW807F. This plate belongs to a friend of mine and it came off his parent’s car when they emigrated to Australia and brought the car with them. My friend would really like to know what car it was as it was before he was born, there is evidence to suggest it was either a Mini or a Cortina. (@LightBulbFun, one for your special reg checker tool?)

4 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

(@LightBulbFun, one for your special reg checker tool?)

sadly that tool only works if the car shows on the DVLA checker, which SUW807F does not sadly

(there are exceptions to this rule but its rare and infrequent sadly, and thats because in said cases the vehicles are still on the DVLA system, just the 1st checker is hiding it for some reason)

do you know when the car was imported? if it was Before 1979, it most likely wont be on the DVLA online system/checker, and if it was before 1974, the DVLA probably wont have any info on it at all sadly

24 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

I thought that might be the case as it was exported in the early 70s, oh well.

The Q plate on the other hand, that’s very interesting! The Volvo appears to have died in 2001.

yeah the Q plater is interesting, RCT-H is a Genuine 1970 issue series it seems, but it looks like I guess they never issued all of them? because checking around RCT820-825H etc shows other similar 1970 vehicles

that were imported or first registered in 197x or 198x, but then got a proper age related plate in the form of an RCT-H plate around 1996/1997, guessing thats when the DVLA issued the rest of the RCT-H plates as age related plates

the interesting thing is, I thought you cant change the plate of a Q plater! of course since it was just an import rather then say a kit car, the rules may have been different or the DVLA may have changed them for imports after enough people complained etc

and allowed such Q plated imports to be issued with a proper age related plate if you requested one

(its a pretty "Early" import from 1988 in that if it was 1983 or before it would of just got a current registration mark, but in 1983 with prefix plates they introduced Q plates (and age related plates) and how they issued them back then was a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey and I think for a time imports defacto got a Q plate rather then a proper age related or current plate) 

16 minutes ago, trigger said:

What site do you use to get them details?

its a commercial tool I have somehow wrangled myself access to and consequently thrown far too much money at! (its not free sadly!)

im a bit cagey to give out details exactly of what site it is as I don't want someone do something nefarious with it, and or get it closed or such and ruin it for everyone else!

the tool has been invaluable for my invalid vehicle research so I dont want to lose it! and its what I primarily use it for and how I got access to it!

but if you have a reg/chassis number you want me to run or such im happy to try and help! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 10:38 PM, MorrisItalSLX said:

..... bonus mystery plate
CC32884

1aa08dcf5e29a80aeb1ec151125a5eb6.jpg

Answers on the back of a postcard please.

Two characters plus five digits will either be Norway or Denmark, as both countries use that system.

The Danes also put a gap between the first two and last three digits, so that plate today would read CC 32 884

Just an interesting one...in about 1981 I sold my Jaguar XK140 to a German guy. He took it back to Germany. Still on the DVLA website 39 years later! Course these things are traded internationally so who knows maybe it will come home and get its original plate 3164CR.

I so regretted selling that car. So fast and elegant. Like nothing I have ever driven. Dark green with black interior. It went like the clappers. Badge on the boot said "WINNERS LE MANS 1953 1954" 

Car now worth X20 what I sold it for.

Here is one for sale in LA. $39,000. Ah nostalgia.

20200314_213221.jpg.0b6a80062c3d900c3723f3d47e602a96.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223754705737

4 hours ago, keef said:

Are these all rear plates or a mixture of front and rear? Are they all black on yellow/white?

What about some photos? ;)

They are a mix of black on yellow, black on white, silver on black plates and white on black, some are pairs of front and rear plates and all are a mix of raised digit, pressed and Perspex.

I would say that yellow rear plates are more common than white front plates, probably because the front plate is more vulnerable.

I buy them mostly from swap meets, but some are from eBay, and this thread doesn’t include any of my Australian plates.

I will get some pictures together, please stay on the line...

Think I've got 3 random sets of plates knocking around.
Not off anything exciting mind.
My 508 GT, RCZ and GT 86.
Being a secret Barry I like ditching the plastic ones and putting on pressed metal plates.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Some new members of the collection, photographed for your enjoyment.

2C7554E3-D514-420B-A28E-4C119D1161FC.thumb.jpeg.59344e04b5bebaa60eb54ba41566d23d.jpeg

S(e)X(y), I’m sure you would agree.

My query to my fellow number plate perverts, what is the pedigree of SX3968? I’m unfamiliar with this older format and would like to know its age and place of origin.

1 hour ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Some new members of the collection, photographed for your enjoyment.

2C7554E3-D514-420B-A28E-4C119D1161FC.thumb.jpeg.59344e04b5bebaa60eb54ba41566d23d.jpeg

S(e)X(y), I’m sure you would agree.

My query to my fellow number plate perverts, what is the pedigree of SX3968? I’m unfamiliar with this older format and would like to know its age and place of origin.

SX is a West Lothian number ,I do not know date of issue but would be pre 1963, probably many years earlier.

UKN is Kent, the above are from opposite ends of the country. H is 1969/1970 but you probably already know that.