GLF by numbers: A Dave_Q and 320touring production

Dave_Q

Yeah, it's fully on a plate for VAG dizzlers, whereas you have to really put some legwork in for most other stuff. 

320t and I both currently have 2.4jtd Alfas, we've been picking over the map from his and it's taken a good few hours so far to find not quite all the important ones.

Doesn't help that the tuning forums are not particularly friendly or navigable either. 

Yes, basically that^.

Of course we are all responsible, law abiding adults and inform our insurance of these things.

320t only paid a very small amount extra for the remapped Octavia, 30 quid or so seems to ring a bell.

But yes, the only way to tell it's been done is either to read the map and compare it to stock, or possibly some dealer lever diagnostics may be able to report the car has had a software update - neither of which seem to be standard practice if you've wrapped your car round a bus full of nuns.

^^ actually it apparently is. There is a growing industry of tools and individuals doing this for insurance companies. Admittedly it seems they target cars that are more likely to be fiddled with - i.e hot hatches/etc.

The whole thing about insurance companies not being to find out is balls. If it's been remapped then almost certainly someone has managed to pull the map out before to mod. If they can do it, an insurance company representative can do the same too. Also stock maps are stored in all the images from the manufacturer servers, so easy enough to check against.

TL;DR, it's very risky not to tell your insurance.

• 11 months later...

Cheers WW.

All the info is out there on the Internet but kinda fragmented, most of the tuning specific forums have an unhelpful closed shop vibe with not too much in the way of guides.

I think it's because lots of them make a very good living from flashing downloaded files they know nothing about onto people's cars at £200 or so a time, and if people discovered its actually not that tricky to do yourself then the gig would be up.

Bumping this as I've been at it again recently to remap my van.

Its a Mercedes Vito with the "fleet manager hates me" 90hp version of the 2.2CDI. It's a newer ECU than the example in the first posts, it's an EDC16 commonrail. The mapping process is mostly the same but its harder work to find the maps. I really struggled until I managed to get a "stage 1" file off a tuning forum and compared it to my original.

image.thumb.png.29e9af05097436b7fa28c7790f07014c.png

To start with, the drivers wish. This is in Nm in this ECU, and later EDC16s & EDC17 seem to use Nm for more maps than IQ. It kinda makes sense as for example, if you use Nm for the torque limiter you just whang the engine torque curve in in Nm without having to mess about translating it.
I hadn't managed to find this as the throttle axis was from 0-8192, possibly for reasons to do with binary? Anyway this looks up throttle vs rpm and gives requested torque. 

This is then passed to a Nm to IQ map to get a baseline fuel number. This was slightly tweaked at 400Nm in the mod file I found so I left it like this, other stuff I read suggested 90mm3 or so of fuel was a good max number to shoot for. My internet file had the DW at 450Nm but the max axis on this was still 400 so that would have achieved nothing.

image.thumb.png.5443e87f4c91e3b06785701c42aef5fd.png

Next the various limiters.   

This is the torque limiter, probably one of the main differences between my peasant wagon and say a 111CDI. This was only allowing a max of about 50mm3 of fuel compared to the requested 90. I've kept this quite conservative for now and gone for 64-65mm3 which should still be something like a 25% power increase.

image.png.7eee842067efbe2b9f7eced527ad45c8.png

Smoke limiter - unlike the VAGs this is done on MAP not airflow (boost x rpm = IQ). The original allowed 50mm3, my internet file put this to 65mm3 everywhere. I've left it like this for now but will revisit if I see smoke on the road.

image.thumb.png.618de50b20efae238f89aba22fb23afe.png

The final fuel value is passed over to the duration map, this is already scaled for 100mm3 (!) so did not need anything doing. This is rpm x IQ = injector opening time. This was pointlessly messed about with in my internet file, I've left it standard.

image.thumb.png.23ba6705a25cb70ecb28b0b7b077e147.png

To help burn some of the extra fuel the boost map is turned up a little bit:

image.thumb.png.1d045d2267256a9a2d1aaa37ed82dfa2.png

And the boost limiter to make sure we don't trigger a fault.

image.thumb.png.044ea304116bc1f7b2d3cab933671f0a.png

Now I'll be honest here and say I am not 100% sure on everything in this ECU. There are various other bits of map and value changed in the file, which I have just left as they were provided to me. Hopefully they haven't turned off anything major, I may try to do a "clean" version just changing the maps I understand and seeing how that goes. 

Anyway I've flashed this to the van now and it seems to be going well. You can tell from looking at the maps and how they are scaled (100mm3 on the duration, 70-80mm3 on the smoke limiter) that this is an engine designed for more that is turned down with a stingy torque limit and a WG turbo rather than VG. The van couldn't maintain 70 on cruise control up a hill before, that will certainly not be the case now. I would estimate it will be around 120hp with the changes I've made, on the tuning forums they reckon 150-170 is achievable on the standard turbo and injectors (90-100mm3 of fuel) but I don't want to push it too far, the van has done 246k miles.

Anyway hope that's of interest to someone, the VE and PD tdis we were writing about 4 years ago are getting thinner on the ground so I thought showing some bits from a commonrail would be good.

image.png