The Old Beige BX Progress Thread: 17th Feb 2021 - FIN.

strangeangel

34 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

It's as if they *know* BX owners are a bunch of tightwads! There'd probably be a group purchase of the book where everyone chucks in a quid, then scan it in to post it online, page by page. Or am I just being cynical?

I'm actually thinking of doing one on the BX anyway, but it depends if the CCC want to back it. Might also do a video, but that would mean being on camera, and that would be bad.

I'm taking the thread off topic here, aren't I?! 

• strangeangel changed the title to The Beige BX Progress Thread: 26/1 NEW BERTH REQUIRED - CAR HAS TO BE MOVED SOON
7 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Sorry, should have said... Wakefield.

Wakey tha ses?

Run a garden rake down the side

Mash half a packet of choccy digestives into ribena and spread liberally over the rear seats and door cards.

Shove a 20p in the cassette player

Get a cheap plaque made up, "Family car by Henry Moore", and park it in the sculpture park.

I bet nobody says anything for fear of not looking intellectual and recognising "art" when they see it!

10 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Friends of the Beige BX...

My cousin is having works done on his house starting about 4 weeks from now, so the beige has to be moved. I don't have anywhere else to keep the car currently - is anyone able to offer it a space? Short notice, I know, but that's life unfortunately. Cheers.

I hear you.

I don't have a solution,  (well I do have a lock up,  but it's 300 miles away).

Shout if owners need to lob in for a local solution. 

2 hours ago, chodweaver said:

If it doesn't need to be undercover, i have a bit of driveway available.

Edited to add: in Congleton, Cheshire

It's not under cover now, so it'd certainly be no worse off... we'd need to think about logistics though. I don't have access to anything with a tow hitch, so trailering it isn't an option for me. I'll look into how much a Shiply would be, although there's only about £40 left in the kitty at the moment.

Again I'm in totally the wrong area - but if it's helpful I could provide a parking space for the short term here. 

It wouldn't be able to stick around long term and obviously transport would need to be arranged...but if it came down to it, I'm happy to offer a parking space if it's needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Right folks, time is getting short and we need to find somewhere to get this car to. It's looking like Holbeck's lock up is the best option available now, albeit 300 miles from where the car is now. Problem with that is I can't move it and a Shiply will cost £££. Can anyone please offer somewhere nearer? There's a very real danger of the car getting baled if we can't re-home it which, after all the work we've done and money that's been expended, is something I am anxious to avoid. We have no more than three weeks.

• strangeangel changed the title to The Beige BX Progress Thread: 26/1 NEW BERTH REQUIRED - three weeks left to move it.

Well bollocks, I asked Father as to if he knew anywhere and I was met with a rather obstinate "well can't you just find a local farm or something?" Not helpful at all.

I'll have a little think but being very south from where it is now, Shiply would be expensive AF.

I'm willing to assist, but alas am 300 miles away (or more) also. I could possibly rent some land in the yard next door, which is outdoor but gated. And it would then be in the company of other BXs, but sadly I no longer have any means of transporting vehicles until I get the towbar fitted to our old van.

Right. 

Where are we with this?

AIUI, it runs but still misfires?

It needs a steering rack gaiter  and a tester who will be sympathetic to the windscreen chip. 

What else?

Rather than transporting it to further storage,  is it plausible to get it to a place where it can be MOT'd?

I'd be prepared to contribute on that basis. 

24 minutes ago, holbeck said:

Where are we with this?

AIUI, it runs but still misfires?

It needs a steering rack gaiter  and a tester who will be sympathetic to the windscreen chip. 

What else?

That's pretty much the outstanding faults that I'm aware of. The misfire renders it all but undriveable, though, and it's not insured so taking it for an MOT isn't an option unfortunately. Unless someone else wants to have a go, of course - I'm more than happy to hand over the keys, V5 and the kitty (about £40) if that's the case.

19 hours ago, strangeangel said:

It's Wakefield, West Yorks (J40 M1).

Ah. Yeah 225 miles. If it can get here, I have a space for it. 

2 hours ago, richykitchy said:

It doesn't go to the bridge, no way. I'll take it on before that happens, somehow.

This too. I'm sure it won't go that way. I'll take it if it does just to save it. 

3 hours ago, richykitchy said:

It doesn't go to the bridge, no way.

Believe me, that is the very last thing I would like to see happen, but I've managed to find the last two places it's stayed while our small band of bodgers have worked on it, and I'm all out of options now.

@Ghosty - you're the closest so far by some considerable distance... if you really can take it then that would be the cheapest option in terms of transport. Being there might also give @Cleon-Fonte an opportunity to fix the misfire!

Based on the motorway junction address that's ~120 miles from here.  As I'm also five minutes from the M1 that might make costs a bit less horrendous?

I can't offer long term storage, but a space in my front yard is available as a reprieve if it gets to crunch time and nothing else turns up.

If it did spend any time here I'd happily have a bash at seeing if I could pin down the cause of the misfire.

If it becomes a matter of this or the bridge I'm willing to put my hand in my own pocket to get it to my address (I'm dropping a PM to the aforementioned transport regulars to confirm the costs involved) - but I *will* get skinned alive for it and it won't be a long term solution as I'm already over capacity (believe me, if I had room I'd probably already have it on the drive).

Edit: Yep, having looked into transport costs and if push came to shove I could arrange something.  I would need to figure out what the heck to do pretty rapidly thereafter (basically I'd realistically need to figure out off-site parking for something), but we'd work it out.

While I'd love to have it on the drive, I'd really rather not have to deal with the ensuing logistics - especially in the current climate (and season!).  It's absolutely there as a safety net though...I'm not standing by and letting this wind up at risk of getting cubed.

Additional: just spotted the Stirling Motor Group stickers in the older photos.  My Activa has still got the shadow of one of those on the tailgate!  Please tell me this isn't fate...