The Old Beige BX Progress Thread: 17th Feb 2021 - FIN.

strangeangel

Just to eliminate it as a possibility, have you tried running it from a gravity fed fuel supply?  Just to eliminate the pump & pipework to the tank as possible culprits? 

Next up I guess is to get spark plug testers involved so you can see if it's losing spark, as that would at least give you a clear path to aim in whether it's fuel or ignition related.

1 hour ago, MrSchwifty said:

As a thought, have you checked to see if the vacuum advance capsule on the distributor is working? The diaphragm can often disintegrate and that then gives you a nice little vacuum leak which then leans out the fuelling.  This has caught me out a couple of times! 

That's not something we've checked, I'll add it to the list for the next work day.

Hi gang, if it's not too far to come for it (BD23), use my trailer. Jaz, you have my number. Brakes are still S H I T though. Sorry I don't have time to pop down and help shift it myself any time soon.

I'm SURE we had the plugs out while the car was up here, the only tool we could get to fit was the box spanner thing that lives under the bonnet. It was there.

• 1 month later...

I have just passed the virtual hat around the good people who had previously expressed an interest in helping get the car to its new home... if you're reading this and I haven't contacted you, please do drop me a PM if you're interested in helping our little beige pal on its journey back to roadworthiness. Cheers 👍

• strangeangel changed the title to The Beige BX Progress Thread: 3/10 UPDATE... CAR NEEDS MOVING, HAT IS BEING PASSED ROUND

Thank you @KruJoe for all your help today, much appreciated! Had it not been for your generosity we would have had to use the latest round of donations to hire a trailer. As it is they can go towards getting it nearer to an MOT, and life on the road once again. And thanks to my cousin Chris for allowing the car to share driveway space with his beloved 90.

I'm too knackered to think about it now, but in the not-too-distant future we need to get a working party together to nail the running fault once and for all. I've got lots of projects of my own to work on, and I may want to pass on custodianship of the car to one of the other owners before too much longer.

Financial statement:

Carried Forward - £0

Recent donations - £49.41

Chippy dinner for Joe - £7.50

CURRENT BALANCE - £41.91

• strangeangel changed the title to The Beige BX Progress Thread: 11/10 Couch surfing in Wakefield

Just home to Castle_Cleland, despite a bit of an ATF leak on the Pleasure Wagon. Hopefully an easy fix.

What a grand day out! Good to see you Jaz, @djimbob and more of the family, and thank you all donors for the chippy tea - lovely!
So the BX is safe on a charitable driveway now, but who is going to inject its next dose of loving? Just* needs putting in for a test - should fly straight through (etc.)

Let's sort the thing that stops it being driveable before spunking money on a massively overpriced bumper, eh? Even if it takes another two years to get the thing on the road that bumper's going nowhere, because ours is probably the only car of that age and colour left and, consequently, sixty quid is about six times its market value.

No, what the beige needs now is help from people with actual mechanical competence as opposed to enthusiastic amateurs like me.

• 2 months later...

I really need to log in to this forum more! You know you have accounts which you 'check up' on as a matter of habit (because you've had them for decades) but for some reason this place and Retro Rides both don't register in my pysche enough. They really should; this place is everything I love about cars.

Anyway, I'm happy to throw a few quid in the pot, and lend advice when possible. I've got a (little) bit of know-how, but sadly I'm a million miles from up north (anywhere about Basingstoke is up north for me) but I'll help where I can. Having entered this car into the BX register some months ago (possible a year?) It's still not been usurped by anything older or rarer! I also think it may be the only mk1 left in this colour, which means it's the only BX left in this colour!

Don't give up on it. If I get my mk1 roadworthy sometime soon I'll use a trip up there to break it in and bring some tools etc.