The Old Beige BX Progress Thread: 17th Feb 2021 - FIN.

strangeangel

Carb cleaning has commenced... first I scraped as much of the limescale/corrosion out of the waterway as I could:

post-19532-0-17801100-1497308015_thumb.jpg

Then it was removed and given repeated cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner:

post-19532-0-30196000-1497308142_thumb.jpg

Then off came the top, the crusty float bowl filled with carb cleaner for a good soak, and the jets removed for a ride in the ultrasonic cleaner:

post-19532-0-92246300-1497308258_thumb.jpg

More soon...

Do these ultra sonic cleaners actually work?

They do in my experience, yeah. That one is a cheapo jewellery cleaner from Aldi or Lidl; can't remember which. I've used it on many occasions to clean small bike/moped carbs, which can be totally immersed in the tank. It does a particularly good job of getting that horrible 'varnish' residue you find in barn find 2-strokes, where the fuel has gone off and subsequently evaporated.

The instructions say to use water, but I've used fuel and parts washer fluid before now, both of which achieve better results. I've also used it to successfully resurrect tiny idle jets, which would be damaged by sticking bits of wire up them.

The only downside I've found is the timer only allows a maximum run time of 480 seconds, so you have to be in the garage working and keep re-setting the timer. But for the few quid it cost (£12 IIRC?) I can live with that!

Carb cleaning (slight return)... some jets and a formerly crusty fitting, this evening:

post-19532-0-20740600-1497480064_thumb.jpg

Float bowl, sans shit:

post-19532-0-33310700-1497480138_thumb.jpg

All the orifices of the carb body got blown out with compressed air and then reassembly was the reverse process of dismantling. No picture of the finished article, cos it doesn't look much different; it's functionally clean & I ain't polishing it up to a mirror finish :)

All ready to be re-united with the car at the next working party!

Yes please, Tim!

You spend as much time in that tank-top area as any of us, so if you think that will help us, I'm sure we can make it work. Even if the pipe diameters are different, that's no biggie.

(I'll pm my address. :))

Yes, I can do that.

Please, this morning, can one of you desk-bound office bods trawl through the radiator listings that Hairnet found, and post a link to the one you think I should buy? 

One sure to be delivered by the weekend.

I have a busy morning, but can click through to buy it at lunchtime if I can go straight to it. Many thanks!