The Old Beige BX Progress Thread: 17th Feb 2021 - FIN.

strangeangel

It seems like it's time to have a new thread dedicated to the on-going progress (or otherwise) of the Beige BX, without people having to trawl through pages of stuff about the original purchase. All that malarkey can be found here. The new thread will make it easier to change the title as required, too.

For works completed to date in the old thread go here.

Today's progress at SF17 was MEGA. Much work was carried out on the fuel system by Joe and many of the assembled Shiters; the fuelling problem finally being cracked when Joe fitted one of the Pleasure Wagon's clear fuel filters!

post-19532-0-48866300-1496517531_thumb.jpg

post-19532-0-53030400-1496517602_thumb.jpg

There was a stuttering journey down the ramp...

post-19532-0-77344500-1496517670_thumb.jpg

Fuel was added... and it ran!

post-19532-0-43628700-1496517730_thumb.jpg

A quick ride round the campsite revealed that the spheres are completely shagged, as the suspension was entirely bereft of travel. On the plus side, there are two new spheres in the boot. Dead chuffed to see it run, and have a go at piloting it across the field, though :)

It's headed back to Castle_Cleland after SF, after which we need to have a think about the best way to go from here.

Erm.... so is it not coming back to me?

What was the issue with the filter? Was it just full of that brown shit?

Most likely Dan, I just meant it was headed there immediately after the fest...

EDIT: we think the filter had a pinhole in and was causing loss of the pump's hard-earned suction. As soon as the new one was fitted, it started drawing fuel through like a good 'un.

When the main pipe was disconnected from the rubber one that went up to the pump (which had a split in it) loads of brown shite came out and then it ran clear. We reckon that brown shit clogged the paper filter quickly, as once we stripped it all out, checked the in tank lifter/filter was clean, ruffgeezer and Joe replaced the rubber pipe from the tank to main pipe and we took the main pipe on a trip to Boston it filled the new filter in an instant!

Some tweakage is needed to the tank pipes, theres an angle missing, which has been replaced with a bend of copper pipe which works but sits too high. The return pipe is also split, we fed that into a jerry can for the weekend.

People who I don't actually recall their names went round whilst I was cleaning and got all the bulbs working, and sloth in a bowl sprayed lubricant on the tailgate struts and hinges.

Early on Saturday ruffgeezer and others got the rear passenger window up and wedged it in place.

The doorcard fabric is mega delicate, I made a small hole slightly bigger just breathing on it, so left it the fuck alone! The dashboard stank of piss as the G101 lifted the dirt, but after 5 applications of trim restorer thick I poured on and let soak in was much better!

The rear wiper was also replaced with one in the boot. We didnt try the washers as a, the front is disconnected, and b I didn't want the clean glass to get dirty!

I also trim gelled the rear bumper and polished the lights. Dollywobbler expertly fitted the rear clusters with his fist, so they don't flop about anymore.

Even the spare wheel has a fugging brand new tyre on! I wish I'd packed my tyre gel now!

It was ace to sit in though, I really fancy one now...

It was great to see the progress with the beige wonder and see it bouncing around the field under its own power.

The only trouble was I was tricked, take a nice ride around the field I was told so I climbed in and shut the door. Only then did I find my pilot was the phantom bus breaker of Scotland, know to bust 3 buses a day without effort! 

post-4787-0-33594800-1496646909_thumb.jpg

So is the gauntlet to throw down that both of these have to arrive at sf18 by their own legal, taxed, road going power?

Or should we wait until capsuleboy has the blue one in front of him?

If the two 14s pledge to come I will attempt to bring my GTi that has been off the road for 9 years and currently won't start.

post-4787-0-50214800-1496649625_thumb.jpg

Fantastic to see this in the metal/plastic and it's a very jolly thing. To whomever is current custodian I've got a sphere removal tool to send as Joe wasn't quite sure how long it was stopping at Cleland Castle so if you PM me an address I'll get it posted. Will make getting the horribly buggered old spheres off a bit easier!

This is a very kind contribution, thanks Adrian.

The earliest I could cart it off back to Wigan, or anywhere else, is this Sunday coming, so if you think it would arrive by then you can send it here, then it's with the car, wherever the work is done.

When I've a mo, I will post more about the options I can offer to help with the project.

Ha ha, I wondered where he'd found that! He secured it extra-securely with some of my gaffa tape. :)

We're down to just one opening window on this - being a posh* one, the fronts should be electric, but show no signs of life. That and the untinted glass made our field drives rather warm.

I once had a vacuum cleaner hose melt in the back of my old BX14 on a warm sunny day!

Erm.... so is it not coming back to me?

We (you guys) have options...

1. I can bring it back down to yours at the earliest opportunity, that'd be either Saturday afternoon, Sunday, or next Tuesday pm. I do want to fix some minor issues with the trailer first, to be safe.

Also, Adrian says he'll send the vital sphere tool tomorrow, it should be here this week, then it is with the car when it's needed for that job.

2. I have free use of a large, secure shed, loads of tools, work benches, and boxes of tat for repairs/bodgery (eg- bits of rubber hoses etc.), so it's a great place to work on a project. The BX is welcome to stay in there for a few weeks, or a bit longer. I am often free on Sundays, and some other times, and I'd be happy to welcome some of you up here on working parties. I'm near Malham, which is some distance from any of you, but it's a nice ride up. Brews and biscuits on tap.

Mojo tends to be low if I'm on my own, and I have many demands on my time (106 MOT due soon), so the BX should only stay here if at least one working party is gonna happen.

Also, not too far away from here (near Keighley) is my tame MOT place. They're sensible but sympathetic, and I dare say, would not bat an eyelid at that nasty stone chip on the screen. I would probably trailer the car down, if we agreed it were ready for a good shot at a test.

3. A combination of 1 and 2.

We can try a day or two tinkering, or just an odd afternoon, and see how it goes, and at a week or two's notice, as I said before, I am happy to trailer the BX back down to StillOrange's place, or pretty much anywhere else in Northern England.

Dan's lock-up is very much more handy for most of you than I am up here for tinker time, but there's limited space and no power etc, and you'd only have the tools and gear you were carrying, so it's completely up to you guys.

So, what do the owners think? And anyone else who has a stake, or might want to join in the fettling?

Of course, anyone reading this is welcome to join in.

Let's hear your thoughts...