strangeangel

The Beige BX Progress Thread: 26/5 Progress!

2. I have free use of a large, secure shed, loads of tools, work benches, and boxes of tat for repairs/bodgery (eg- bits of rubber hoses etc.), so it's a great place to work on a project. The BX is welcome to stay in there for a few weeks, or a bit longer. I am often free on Sundays...

Also, not too far away from here (near Keighley) is my tame MOT place.

My vote would be to take up Joe's kind offer of a berth at Castle_Cleland for a bit, given the points made above - obviously dependent on whether others are able/willing to make the trip to Malham.

I currently enjoy the luxury of only working Mon-Thurs, and would defo be up for working parties; I'm only a passable mechanic at best, but I don't mind weighing in and getting my hands dirty. I'd very much like to see this car back on the road :)

My vote would be to take up Joe's kind offer of a berth at Castle_Cleland for a bit, given the points made above - obviously dependent on whether others are able/willing to make the trip to Malham.

I currently enjoy the luxury of only working Mon-Thurs, and would defo be up for working parties; I'm only a passable mechanic at best, but I don't mind weighing in and getting my hands dirty. I'd very much like to see this car back on the road :)

I mentioned the idea of borrowing Dean_numbers or the bx of many shiters plates for a quick spin up the road but was out voted on count of it being a silly idea...

Right, as an 'owner' that is miles away, I'm out of the picture as far as tinkering goes.

Just shout if funds need to go in the pot.

Either that or I'd be quite happy to sponsor the purchase of a required part if that helps.

Holbeck, from your point of view, would you prefer it to return to Wigan soonish? Is that closer?

Also, so I don't have to wade through the old thread, who are the current "owners" please?

If it finds its way oxon bound, or fancies a holiday when it's legal and fixed ill happily detail the fuck out of it, the paintwork is really good, I ciffed a small portion of the rear quarter and it responded well. Or if we have a shitefest next year that will allow it to be washed

I have no financial stake though I'm afraid, although slightly wish I had now after sitting in it for an afternoon!

I think this car is staying in the North, so I will withdraw from ownership interest as six is also probably too many! I'm​ happy to continue to donate to any future crowd funding needs for this beauty.

I have no financial stake though I'm afraid, although slightly wish I had now after sitting in it for an afternoon!

I know how you feel Sam, I'm the same! Can't afford it and I'm only insured to drive the Rover though cause I'm a y00f.

Right team, listen up!

Who fancies coming up here for a working party this Sunday?

Near Malham, BD23.

Arriving, say, late morning, until we've had enough... I have plenty of gear here, and willingness to assist in any way I can. I'd like* to see if I can get that fuel return sorted for you.

Now we have the sphere tool, we could have a go at that. Are the ones in the car suitable? How much LHM will we need? I think we have a bit from Beko now. It can't be that hard, I'm sure* HBOL will tell us all we need to know.

I want to keep the momentum up if we can, let me know your thoughts...

From when i did my xm's spheres oy a dribble of lhm came out, although if their buggared and full of lhm you might loose a bit, but ive never experienced that. But the level looked fine, so even if it's just low that half a bottle should be enough to keep it topped up until a full hydraflush can be done... The peek I had in the lhm tank showed bright green fluid so it shouldn't be too ancient, it certainly rose spot on

From when i did my xm's spheres oy a dribble of lhm came out, although if their buggared and full of lhm you might loose a bit, but ive never experienced that.

If they feel 'tight' on the threads as you are unscrewing them (assuming in low to depressurise the system) then it means that the diaphragm has burst and is pressurising the system still. So move your face well away as you loosen the final thread!

It's happened to me twice; both completely unexpected. The second time the sphere was only a year old (changing to fit comfort spheres) so I assumed the tightness was thread damage. I was spitting rainbows for hours!

If they feel 'tight' on the threads as you are unscrewing them (assuming in low to depressurise the system) then it means that the diaphragm has burst and is pressurising the system still. So move your face well away as you loosen the final thread!

It's happened to me twice; both completely unexpected. The second time the sphere was only a year old (changing to fit comfort spheres) so I assumed the tightness was thread damage. I was spitting rainbows for hours!

post-5612-0-27899600-1496867162_thumb.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By davehedgehog31
      I've had various threads on the go for different collections this year, but thought I'd condense my threads into one manageable thread to document my ham-fisted tinkering.

At the turn of the year I was driving a nice, dependable, modern 2011 Peugeot 407 and no other vehicle. It was nice enough, but boring as feck. I'd bought it after a series of disastrous heaps in the awkward age bracket of being new and valuable enough to worry about but old enough to be fucked. The 407 was just too new, too bloated and dull. I had a hankering for old metal, my Mineral Oil withdrawal pangs were strong.

From January I started looking, there were eBay bids, missed reserves, wasted trips from Gumtree and other such nonsense. I happened on an automatic Rover 216 GSI with one giffer owner from a year old. The chap was giving up driving at 93 years old and his grandson was moving it on. I bid, and failed. It was in London though, about 420 miles away so I wasn't all that bothered. Of course when he offered it to me for my losing bid after the winning buyer was a no show I said yes. I was on the Megabus down to that London overnight for about £15. I hung about in Liverpool Street station like a mad shivering jakey until my train out to the suburb for my first sight of the new steed. It was battered outside but had been well looked after. A frankly insulting amount of cash changed hands and I was away up the road.

We had many adventures together, it was dependable and it whet my appetite for interesting old motors again and proved that the very bottom end of the market was navigable if I had the patience to wade through the sea of shit to find the odd pearl.

The 407 was still on the fleet at this point but I was covering a lot of miles in the Rover, with a long commute though the fuel economy wasn't ideal. When a friend's mother was looking for a new diesel saloon to replace the faithful old Xsara she had a scheme was concocted. I sold the 407 to her and was on the hunt for an interesting replacement.

When I was growing up my dad had a succession of hopeless shitters, indeed I was brought home from the hospital as a newborn in a brush painted Skoda Super Estelle. The best car he had was a red XUD Peugeot 405 with air conditioning and electric windows. So when I found a 1994 GTXD advertised by someone who could actually compose a car advert in the fashion you would expect of a human being educated to a Primary School level, I pounced.

Of course I couldn't buy a car just down the road so it was on the train to Birmingham. First class no less. I stayed in an absolute flea pit of a hotel and drove up the road the next day. This was a proper bit of nostalgia and a really practical borderline classic car. It had been fastidiously maintained by the previous owner. Apart from there being a hole where there was once a stereo and the lack of working air con it was a pleasant drive home.

Given their relative scarcity and how dependable this one has proven so far, it's a keeper, I'd struggle to part with it.

Two cars just wasn't enough to worry about, so this Citroen C1 was acquired. Pure Aleppo spec. A camel can go for weeks, or months without stopping at a watering hole, the C1 has a similar thirst for Motor Spirit. Man maths were employed and worked out that it would easily* pay for itself.

There have been further movements, I'll recap them shortly. I should probably do some work.
    • By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...

• By scdan4
      That bit hiding up behind the air filter and infront of the turret

made a prolonged, loud, farty vibratey noise (loud enough to be clearly audible in the cabin with the radio on) twice today, both times it did it the nose was pointing down a steep hill and we had just parked and turned off the engine.

It goes on for best part of a minute, so managed to track it down. Initial impressions are fuck knows what it is but it's clearly been bodged in the past. The yellow hose has clearly been disconnected sometime, by someone, for some reason, somewhere.

Thats the blighter.

Does someone want to tell me why it's blowing raspberries at me?

• By TheDoctor
      As you may have read in the 'Can we save this?' thread, the answer was 'Yes we can!'
      Someone on this forum who wishes to remain nameless, fronted the cash to rescue this little Mazda from certain doom at the hands of a banger racer. I've taken custody of the car, but will make sure they get their money back as soon as is physically possible.
      Perhaps once it's running right, I'll look at some sort of roffle to find it a new home and pay back what it owes me and them.

Although it had been sitting 5 years or so, it went through an MOT, so that's a good start.

Known faults.
      - Alternator is kaput. Shouldn't be too hard to find a refurbished one. Presume battery knackered too.
      - Wheel bearing grumbling. 
      - Running like crap. Will replace fuel and vacuum pipes and add fuel filter. Then perhaps a carb strip down and rebuild. Aisan 980 carb as far as i know, same as the Toyota was,
      - Flat tyre. 

It's currently sitting outside with a flat battery and no fuel, so that's not a good start!

As I have very little talent, time or money, and suggestions / help greatly appreciated.

These are the pictures I have so far - looks good but it's a lot more dull in real life...