The Old Beige BX Progress Thread: 17th Feb 2021 - FIN.

strangeangel

I was gonna have an afternoon on this, but got distracted by lashing paint on pretty wheels.

post-1381-0-66390900-1499031956_thumb.jpg

But I had a couple hours on it before dark. This got fitted:

post-1381-0-72887900-1498896199_thumb.jpg

All back together in that corner:

post-1381-0-34492500-1499031992_thumb.jpg

I started it up, parked on the flat, and I think, fully bled the coolant, despite the sheared bleed screw:

post-1381-0-88925900-1499032102_thumb.jpg

I found a disconnected vacuum hose and shoved that back on. Also, this giffer soldered spur from the crank breather:

post-1381-0-62217400-1499032050_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find what might be on that. So it's still like that.

post-1381-0-79352700-1499032075_thumb.jpg

It still wouldn't idle on less than half choke. Not up to temp? So I took it down our private* test lane and back, running out of pez in the process. But I'd chucked my replenished can in the car, so a splash'n'dash saw me home.

post-1381-0-12026300-1498427940_thumb.jpg

On the test drive, there were some clunks from this department somewhere. I'm hoping it's the badly fitted (or ill-fitting) exhaust, knocking on summert. I haven't investigated, or touched that for the blow yet.

post-1381-0-54163100-1499032130_thumb.jpg

Must have been warm by the time I was back up the hill, the fan-less heater emitted hot wafts, but it still wouldn't tick over without choke. Bumhats.

In other news, the ride feels super-smooth, just the way it should. Lovely.

Now, may I once again ask for the opinions of the joint owners, please?

• The car can stay here for a bit longer, with occasional work my me (when I have nowt better to do), and/or occasional working parties. (Next day I'm free is Sun 23rd July.) Once deemed ready, I can take it to my tame MOT man.

--- OR ---

• This coming Sunday I am heading from here past StillOrange's place (about mid-day) with my trailer empty, I could drop it back there if he'd like it back, and work could go on from there.

Completely up to you guys.

Vulg-style MOT list (as I see it):

• re-fit the new but badly fitted rear half of the exhaust
  • re-connect front screen-wash pipe
  • do whatever needs doing to make it idle happily

So one day's work if you know what you're (we're) doing.

Please let me know your thoughts. There's no pressure from me to get rid now (the shed is available until the camper wants its shed back at the end of summer), but this is a good chance to move it on if that's what you wish.

Ta!

Thank you for your replies, chaps. It's welcome to stay for the time being.

I personally think you should be given coownership rights...

That's very kind, Dan. However, I think I'm happy enough having just put a little bit of myself into saving a small piece of history, and having helped others to enjoy it.

I'd rather not take on any more formal responsibility than that I think, and it's easier to explain to my cohabitants at Castle_Cleland that it's just here for a while for it to be worked on. There's plenty of my own shite cluttering up the place.

• 1 month later...

I don't think there is any news as such, we are quite overdue another working party. I guess it's a case of whenever's convenient for Joe and when people are available to go up to Malhamdale.

I'll be able to make it up any time next week or beyond, provided my own BX passes its MoT on Friday.

This chap has a couple of Mk1 bits listed (I want the dash switches though) and says he has "lots of other" BX bits - just ask. May be worth a message if there is anything Mk1 specific you need? I still haven't picked up that bumper yet, but hopefully will at some point

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/rhon000/m.html?item=122650776042&hash=item1c8e8e51ea%3Ag%3ALFkAAOSwHLJZk1Hc&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Aye, busiest time of year, summer hols in The Dales. I must make the brass while I can.

I would however like to have some serious progress made in the next few weeks because the camper will want its shed back.

• 6 months later...

I don't think cash is a massive problem just now, it's just been getting working parties together. Joe's been away, and I've been busy... TBH it's not far off being ready for an MOT, and then we've just got the logistics of getting it there to consider.

Further to Joe's last post, I know that a space indoors was found for the old thing, so it's been safe from the full might of the north Yorks winter.

• 1 year later...

At Tuesday's NPH meet the beige BX's carburettor came up for discussion as it appears idling is something of an issue. Thanks to the power of the internet I can reveal that the carb is a Solex 30/30 Z2, for which parts are thankfully still available, as are whole carbs should we need them (albeit they're a bit pricey).

Does anybody with knowledge of Solex carbs know why idling could be a problem? The carb itself has been well cleaned by Strangeangel so it's unlikely to be a blockage/dirt issue.

Dunno, but after being cleaned and re-assembled with a new service kit the Solex on my BX refused to idle at a sensible speed. The general consensus seemed to be that sometimes they just don't 'take' and the only course of action is to rebuild them mulitple times until they decide they want to work. My solution was simply to put it in my garage and forget about it for 18 months *shrugs*

My solution was simply to put it in my garage and forget about it for 18 months *shrugs*

Well, we've certainly tried that one... it's hoped that working parties will resume this spring, though, so fingers crossed we will get to the bottom of this issue, and also achieve the MOT I so boldly predicted we'd score in 2018.

Right then, I've been chatting to Joe and we have plans for a working party at Castle_Cleland in late April. We're thinking it'll be on a Sunday, but haven't got a definite date in mind yet.

Anyone interested in joining us - jump in! If you can give us an idea of your availability that'll help us set a date that will (hopefully) suit most - if not all - of those who fancy helping get this monumentally ace car fit for its MOT.

post-19532-0-04467200-1497210638.jpg