The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

You haven't half dropped some killer content since that lad called you a cunt Junkman. Can we have someone have a go at you once every couple of month to keep the rate up?

Those pics are all worth a page on the calendar. I love the one with the beast and the moon. And the ship. And the car.

Should anyone give a shit, I decided to run this car with 10W40, since I felt the 20W50 generally being too thick for the modern engine it has.

My choice is this classic hot hatch oil, which contains 1,300 ppm ZDDP.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-OILS-HOT-HATCH-10W-40-SEMI-SYNTHETIC-ENGINE-OIL-5-LITRES/222883743922

s-l1600.jpg

The car runs noticeable smoother and there isn't a tick from the valve train.

I can also feel the oil reaching all the lubrication points quicker on startup.

I thus recommend this oil to other Cleon engined Renault owners.

Please make sure you run oils with ZDDP in your pre cat cars.

This isn't snake oil, you really need it in those engines and oilz for modernz don't contain any of it.

I quite like this talking hands video on the topic of ZDDP that Moss Motors of USA did. Clear, concise and a relaxing tone.

I honestly thank you for this unoriginal contribution, which clearly makes you a cunt, sir, according to some, but it's true nevertheless.

I wish he wouldn't call an engine a mowdur, though.

Of course you could chuck cheap supermarket oil into your engines, because that's still better than what they used originally.

When my R16 was registered in that Paris, they probably poured straight 30 weight detergent in it, hooned it from Ave Kleber, taking a slight right at Ternes with body roll of much hilarity, pressed the throttle of the Solex into the rubber mat all the way along the Blvd de Courcelles/Batignolles, then hooked a right at Clichy with the Michelin XZXs screaming for mercy, and French parked the heap right in front of the Moulin Rouge.

But if you use that cheap supermarket oil in your pre cat chod today, with there being nothing wrong with that, make sure you add a ZDDP additive, for fucks sake.

Would be Total 15w40 for me, if it's still affordable.

On the Zinc question, I had a chat with an oil guy a while back and he reckoned there was still enough in to protect cams, plus the Boron and other protection had increased. Zinc was always the cheapest protection, what's used in addition today is more expensive and supposedly longer-lasting.

Always a bit wary of oil company chaps. When I asked two of them about the auto trans oil for my r16 both Millers and Morris said it's is compatible with Dextron III, but an transmission expert said that you have to use the Renault/ total 200 ATF or the 'box will be knackered after 15,000 miles. That's the trouble, by the time the damage is done, they wouldn't have any liability.

On the Zinc question, I had a chat with an oil guy a while back and he reckoned there was still enough in to protect cams, plus the Boron and other protection had increased. Zinc was always the cheapest protection, what's used in addition today is more expensive and supposedly longer-lasting.

I do not trust newfangled snake oil, which can't be better, because it's newfangled.

When has it become wrong to use the cheapest protection that is proven to work?

Today it was time to clean up all the mess I've made lately.

46477031844_734a307724_b.jpg

After working like a harbour hooker for a few hours, it still looks shit.

47148715612_bb539e3afc_b.jpg

46476987134_92a8b640a5_b.jpg

47148700332_0799dca6d4_b.jpg

40235735783_093c53f560_b.jpg

32258273297_56bb68e11b_b.jpg

47200383121_282f5fdceb_b.jpg

Also, there is still a problem with the cooling system. The expansion glass was full to the brim.

47200417521_9c2b95cea1_b.jpg

Therefore, the heater is empty. So in essence, it dumps water into the expansion bottle, but it never sucks it back into the actual system.

What the bloody hell is wrong with it?

OK. When you purged the cooling system, and filled it up again, did you also fill the jar up to some level. What I am trying to say is, after filling the system again, could it just be expanding and overflowing until it finds its natural level again. If you empty the jar to half full - because I'm being optimistic here - and run it, what happens?

Also I am surprised it has an automatic electric fan. Very cutting edge for the time.

OK. When you purged the cooling system, and filled it up again, did you also fill the jar up to some level. What I am trying to say is, after filling the system again, could it just be expanding and overflowing until it finds its natural level again. If you empty the jar to half full - because I'm being optimistic here - and run it, what happens?

Also I am surprised it has an automatic electric fan. Very cutting edge for the time.

Sigh...