The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

Can you get the parts for the original carb?

It depends on which of the original carbs I end up with.

It looks like it is even difficult to get a manifold to head gasket.

Edit: I just checked and you can get parts and stuff for the original carby like water.

You can even get NOS ones for 60 Euros or so.

Yes, shorter studs.

Additional distance plate would raise the air cleaner housing to a level where its brackets no longer meet the studs on the rocker cover.

Keep the dashpots of Rover V8 SUs WARM????

What on earth has that clot not understood?

That is actually an improvised carb cooler. The windscreen washer has been re-routed to soak the socks. Car was vapour locking in Morocco. 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1142169&i=60

Right.

44422176634_509a3f4c36_b.jpg

The photo makes it look so easy.

It wasn't.

There still needs to be a modification made, which has to wait until Monday.

The ball jointed and not adjustable linkage rod that's just visible at the right upper corner of the carby is a smidgen too long and thus fouls the rocker cover. Consequently the butterflies don't fully return to the mechanical stop provided by an adjusting screw, which makes for a too high tickover.

A suitable and adjustable replacement shall be procured across the street at Moss Europe when they open.

However.

The real amazing bit is not that that carby is better, it's better to what extent it is what is.

Everyone who told me to ditch that Solex and go Weber has been proven right. And that is actually everyone.

Why is it that the Italians can make better carbies than the French?

Even without any adjustments, IE the carby was set by me to the default settings, the car is running better than it ever did in my ownership hitherto.

I don't think it needs any further adjustment. It just needs the ability to return to the mechanical stop for the butterflies and everything will be A-OK.

Question for everyone: Why didn't you ugly lot tell me sooner?

Oh, and all the Solex bits were handed over to Conrad, who will take them to the tip on his next run there.

Well, today whilst in the kitchen cooking up another curry masterpiece I had Jean Michel Jarre's 1977 musical odyssey 'Oxygene' playing from start to finish. To me, parts 3 and 4 are best and 6 is an incredible ending to an incredible album. 

Jarre wrote and perfected this work in his flat by the Seine in late 1976 and early '77. This 16 would have been in the city at that time, perhaps not far away along with thousands of others. I first went to Paris in 1977 with my folks. There's every chance I passed it in the street, or its Gitane smoking owner whistled past in the opposite direction.

And 43 years later, it still lives. A long way from home, but a car worthy of celebration. 

Salut!  

post-3069-0-97458500-1538949432_thumb.jpg

post-3069-0-67267600-1538949463_thumb.jpg

post-3069-0-74871000-1538949482_thumb.jpg

post-3069-0-57193800-1538949499_thumb.jpg

post-3069-0-04197600-1538949515_thumb.jpg