AS Running Costs and Suggestions Thread

Stanky

Catching up after being quiet on the forum for a while - sidetracked with life and other things.  Have added my bit to the Fundrazr bucket.

A question: are there any savings to be had (and performance/reliability to be gained) by moving hosting to a cloud provider like Amazon Web Services?  I run my (admittedly tiny) Wordpress site in AWS and it's free for the first year.

Thanks JD

Potentially, though the bit that we get hit for is the data transfer - the actual stoage used by the site is pretty small but the nature of forums is that a disproportionate amount of data - images, videos, etc - gets requested by members and thats where AWS will crucify you.

The current hosting has a very generous data transfer allowance and dedicated bandwidth, again something which cloud providers won't give you - 90% of the time its fine, but its a pain in the backside when you have a noisy neighbour on the shared hosting who keeps destroying the network.

Just did my first donate to the new fund, and was very proud to see you've chosen a Castle_Cleland pic for our front page!

Cheers for the hard work, chaps. Much appreciated.

Actually, that reminds me I owe a few quid for the driveshaft things for the Ignis.

I did think that was a goat too from the photo.

Mainly as I've never seen a sheep fight with a Lada. Here is a photo of a goat thats already won.

post-3133-0-39137000-1497131875_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, I've also made a payment. I paid a couple of times before but the lack of transparency put me off a regular payment. Not read the thread but expect the people who do the work to charge a wage for their time.