Cavcraft

Shite in your town, in ye olden times.

21283346332_1000f3c62b_b.jpg

Deansgate, Manchester, mid 1980s I believe. Slap bang in the city centre. Bombed by the IRA, around 1997.

8456707030_04074d5eba_b.jpg

Prestwich, towards Rochdale 1983. I'm not familiar with this area but it's a decent picture.

48344698.jpg

Not sure where this was taken. The bus is heading to stalybridge, so presumeably it's on the A635 Ashton Old Road heading out of the city centre towards Openshaw and Ashton-under-Lyne. 

32871368821_28d466d9df_b.jpg

32152258114_e77a041f82_b.jpg

- Not sure where these were taken, other than being on the A662 Ashton "New" Road.The first is looking toward the city centre with the CIS tower on the horizon - I worked there for about 8 years. You can just about see the tower from my home town Droylsden but it's much smaller, though no less central on the road.

The second picture is the same road as the previous image but the opposite direction, looking towards Droylsden with The Peak District in the background, and I would say a couple more miles out of the city centre.

metrolink-tram-near-the-droylsden-stop-d

P1030072a-550x391.jpg

- this is how it looks now. They talked about running the Metro trams between the City centre and AuL for years. I moved down south only to go back five years later to see they had actually done it. What with all the development of Clayton around Manchester City FC, Ashton New Road has been totally transformed. 

/\/\

Going by the colour scheme and the shape of the box body, that Leyland in the top picture looks to be part of the 'Ripponden Motors' fleet...

Fiat Strada cabrio on the billboard in the other pic too...

Corporation Street, not Deansgate, in the first Manchester pic.  I remember it looking very similar in the 1990s until remodelled by the IRA.

Oh yes so it is. I see on Google Street View it's also been "Metro'd". You'll have to forgive my poor recollection; I haven't been there for almost ten years. 

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1731866203775995&id=100008578963702

Hopefully this link has worked. Not technically 'my' town, but spent a week or two here every year in the seventies, as my gran and mum are from Norbury.

s-p-brewery1.jpg

https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/around-the-city-of-norwich-1970/

Barrack St, Norwich. Right on the northern edge of the City Centre. The photographer owned the Daf 44 in the centre of the photo. And I have just spotted the VW Type 4 (?) in the background. Ford Zephyr or even Zodiac on the right, 2 BMC ADO16s a Morris Minor and a Mini.

The brewery was replaced by council flats and bungalows from the mid or late 1970s (just before Thatcher spoiled things on the housing front). Where that white bulding is was a development of private housing built in the early 1980s. The wall and gate behind the white ADO16 still exists. An ex work colleague rented a house there a few years ago. The building behind the Zephyr and Minor was I think a pub at the time but is now a dentists. There used to be a building where the 'Esso' sign is. I cannot recall it ever being a filling station butt from the 1990s it was a minicab office and a Vauxhall spares place (they had a post 1986 Carlton estate that was turned into a pickup truck and had a Senator B front end which looked cool). It is now a used car lot.

As mentioned in the article the council flats (built late 1930s in a loosely modernist style) on the left were demolished. This happened in 2008 and many years on is still an empty vast plot of land.

Those streetlights used to intrigue me.

post-5367-0-36261300-1505243330_thumb.jpg 

One of the popular watering holes in Southampton's by-gone shipping community.   We still have loads of shipping going on but sadly it doesn't involve protracted pub lunches and agreeable early Victorian office blocks these days....  

This was opposite the old Terminus Station which served the great liners of the day, although the line itself still crosses Canute Road and into the old docks area.   

I could probably once have told you whose chod that is outside but time has clouded the memory!    This is another lacklustre "development" nowadays instead of being the place that served the best pub curry in town.