Jump to content

Shite in your town, in ye olden times.


Recommended Posts

My photos are a bit disjointed but having just acquired a massive external hard drive (fnarr) I've started having a look through some from about 20 years ago, this is Edinburgh and its environs:

Crashed Prelude, I think it was fixed though and went on a few more years

323618023_10preludeside.thumb.jpg.439751f889462cc3dcf34c288ac2fb33.jpg

494671557_09preludefront.thumb.jpg.34c36efe93a3333ecd4463dbb64836ab.jpg

Strangely abandoned looking SL, complete with dodgy plate character action 

0002M4NOYfront.thumb.jpg.2d1fbb73fc781bc8476ec395fc03e3dc.jpg

0003M4NOYrear.thumb.jpg.042be58c45cdd440afb84b56ae547039.jpg

I was photographing the resprayed Courier on Fiesta Turbo rims, but the other street clutter is of interest nowadays.  Who is it on here has a thing for those old Carltons?

2070463278_redcourierturborims.thumb.JPG.789ca321fb5156db7501fef2d5c90e84.JPG

More when (if) I find them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Someone on a local history Facebook page shared this photo of a car park in Barnstaple, guessing  it was taken some time in the 80s, hopefully they won't mind me sharing it here.  The site is now a bus station, a few good spots in scene but I am stumped by the Mitsubishi, it almost looks like a 2dr Tredia but I'm fairly sure the closest thing to that is a Cordia and it's not that.  Any guesses?

100603523_10223103224627600_2914689872218292224_o.thumb.jpg.4bf0369348fa0b38fb5b51973073904f.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.ec9dcdedc2eafa186d2c13402be5be4a.png

1983 (ish) - my father with his owned from new (Phooor!) Talbot Horizon aka a ponced up Simca. Funnily enough he waited until I left home before getting this one - his previous ones were a 1968 Herald and a 1974 Toledo. Looking at the picture I think the n/s bumper and number plate are squint so maybe he's let me have a go at driving it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, EyesWeldedShut said:

image.png.4f5737cd7ffc62a56c454abf5fbcdad4.png

This is 1985 outside The Odeon Cinema in Ayr - lots of classic shite cars here but I'm stuck on what the big Japanese saloon is between the Orion and Capri? 

Early '80s Toyota Carina at a guess?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AndyW201 said:

Early '80s Toyota Carina at a guess?

Hi - thanks for that - done some Googling - could be a Carina, maybe a Crown? I think there was a local Toyota dealer in the 70s - not a lot else Japanese but it's not far up to Glasgow so some folks would pop up there for a car rather than buy local.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

That’s got to be a little newer than 79 BS6, looks like a red Escort mk3 in the distance front-on, And in the opposite direction is that a Sierra overtaking the FX4 taxi? If so then late 82 at the earliest. Maybe 83 if the dark grey car on the left parked up behind the white Cortina estate is a Fiat Uno. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

That’s got to be a little newer than 79 BS6, looks like a red Escort mk3 in the distance front-on, And in the opposite direction is that a Sierra overtaking the FX4 taxi? If so then late 82 at the earliest. Maybe 83 if the dark grey car on the left parked up behind the white Cortina estate is a Fiat Uno. 

Squinting through spectacles I think you are right Mk2 Craig, that Rover was doing well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 3:39 PM, mk2_craig said:

My photos are a bit disjointed but having just acquired a massive external hard drive (fnarr) I've started having a look through some from about 20 years ago, this is Edinburgh and its environs:

Crashed Prelude, I think it was fixed though and went on a few more years

323618023_10preludeside.thumb.jpg.439751f889462cc3dcf34c288ac2fb33.jpg

494671557_09preludefront.thumb.jpg.34c36efe93a3333ecd4463dbb64836ab.jpg

Strangely abandoned looking SL, complete with dodgy plate character action 

0002M4NOYfront.thumb.jpg.2d1fbb73fc781bc8476ec395fc03e3dc.jpg

0003M4NOYrear.thumb.jpg.042be58c45cdd440afb84b56ae547039.jpg

I was photographing the resprayed Courier on Fiesta Turbo rims, but the other street clutter is of interest nowadays.  Who is it on here has a thing for those old Carltons?

2070463278_redcourierturborims.thumb.JPG.789ca321fb5156db7501fef2d5c90e84.JPG

More when (if) I find them.

The crashed Prelude was last taxed/MOTd 2008 according to the DVLA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 6:37 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Those coppers are totally amazed by the two SIMCA estates being parked together 'what are the chances o' that Sarge?'.  Once they look to the left and see the Peugeot estate their brains will blow up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 5/1/2020 at 3:39 PM, mk2_craig said:

 Who is it on here has a thing for those old Carltons?

Well...my parents owned this fine 1986 doom blue 2.2i CD auto which I was lucky enough to drive a few times after passing my driving test.

7913103126_21b93ee4e5_c.jpg1986 Vauxhall Carlton 2200i CD by Matt W, on Flickr

I believe @sutty2006 likes 'em too... :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProgRocker said:

Well...my parents owned this fine 1986 doom blue 2.2i CD auto which I was lucky enough to drive a few times after passing my driving test.

7913103126_21b93ee4e5_c.jpg1986 Vauxhall Carlton 2200i CD by Matt W, on Flickr

I believe @sutty2006 likes 'em too... :)

One chodtastic Charlton they had, one of my mates will be jealous, he runs a retirement home for old Vauxhalls

Link to post
Share on other sites

As unlikely as it may seem, Alldays & Onions was a real company formed by Mr Alldays and Mr Onions - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alldays_%26_Onions

There were all sorts of strangely-named small manufacturers in the early days of motoring, many of which didn't last beyond the 1920s. Lacoste et Battman is another that sticks in my mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, loserone said:

 

2 hours ago, quicksilver said:

As unlikely as it may seem, Alldays & Onions was a real company formed by Mr Alldays and Mr Onions - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alldays_%26_Onions

There were all sorts of strangely-named small manufacturers in the early days of motoring, many of which didn't last beyond the 1920s. Lacoste et Battman is another that sticks in my mind. 

hah I still find it still quite amusing, but very interesting too :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this picture on social media. Truth be told, can't think what shop is there now (was a greengrocers for years) probably a cafe.  Certainly didn't know it was a cycle/motorcycle shop or sold petrol though. Photograph estimated at 1950, they said.

Image may contain: one or more people, car, night and outdoor

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...