Shite in your town, in ye olden times.

Cavcraft

On 8/13/2020 at 2:43 PM, quicksilver said:

As unlikely as it may seem, Alldays & Onions was a real company formed by Mr Alldays and Mr Onions - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alldays_%26_Onions

There were all sorts of strangely-named small manufacturers in the early days of motoring, many of which didn't last beyond the 1920s. Lacoste et Battman is another that sticks in my mind. 

Not a manufacturer I had heard of before either, I suppose the recession of the early 1930s saw a lot of the smaller manufacturers off.  Mind you, 100 years ago there were a lot of domestic bus manufacturers in this country and now there are only 3, ADL/Plaxton, Optare and Wright bus. 

Edited to add come to think of it aircraft is the same, pretty much every British manufacturer that made aircraft in WW2 is now part of BAE

Not my photo. Mountergate, Norwich 1985. Check out the green Skoda!! Description on the flickr photo is about the Brewery. According to my late dad, Watney's beer didn't taste that nice.

Norwich

The Trimoco Vauxhall Opel dealer has long since gone. The building still stands but is empty. The brewery buildings in the background have just recently been built on. Overpriced flats, unsurprisingly.

2 hours ago, ProgRocker said:

Not my photo. Mountergate, Norwich 1985. Check out the green Skoda!! Description on the flickr photo is about the Brewery. According to my late dad, Watney's beer didn't taste that nice.

Norwich

The Trimoco Vauxhall Opel dealer has long since gone. The building still stands but is empty. The brewery buildings in the background have just recently been built on. Overpriced flats, unsurprisingly.

Liked for the photo not the overpriced flats

On 8/13/2020 at 6:21 PM, Cavcraft said:

Just found this picture on social media. Truth be told, can't think what shop is there now (was a greengrocers for years) probably a cafe.  Certainly didn't know it was a cycle/motorcycle shop or sold petrol though. Photograph estimated at 1950, they said.

Image may contain: one or more people, car, night and outdoor

That van is, I think, a Thames 300E made between 1954 and 1961. So at the earliest it's 1954 and at the latest whatever date Marstons threw in the towel.

58 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Image may contain: one or more people, car and outdoor

Eastgate Street, Chester. Down as 'probably 1950's',  though possibly sometime in the 60's?

I think that's a Foden S20, made in the late 50's to mid 60's, but the car peaking behind has a distinct 60's squareness about it. I suspect that identifying that car will pin point the era.

My instinct is Triumph, possibly Vitesse - more likely Herald, but it's a bit blurry when zoomed in.

12 minutes ago, martc said:

I think that's a Foden S20, made in the late 50's to mid 60's, but the car peaking behind has a distinct 60's squareness about it. I suspect that identifying that car will pin point the era.

4 minutes ago, martc said:

I thought it had a look of a twin headlamped Imp variant...

Just now, Cavcraft said:

Mustard mitt, thought it was an Imp.

You guys could well be right, but what appears to be the inner of 2 headlamps seems quite far inboard. I assumed it was a bumper mounted spotlight on a single headlighted car. Also, the outer edge of the wing looks high, but it's hard to tell.

54 minutes ago, Sham said:

You guys could well be right, but what appears to be the inner of 2 headlamps seems quite far inboard. I assumed it was a bumper mounted spotlight on a single headlighted car. Also, the outer edge of the wing looks high, but it's hard to tell.

Probably right about the extra lamp being bumper mounted. If the mystery car is an Imp the earliest the photo could have been taken would be '63. But the double headlight variants weren't available till the late 60's. The fashions on d'street are certainly not late 60's...

59 minutes ago, GBJ said:

What Chester pic?

Sometimes, with some browsers, the photos in posts don't show up until you do a right-click on them and use the 'Show image' command that appears. Try that and see if you can get access to the photo that way.

20 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

Sometimes, with some browsers, the photos in posts don't show up until you do a right-click on them and use the 'Show image' command that appears. Try that and see if you can get access to the photo that way.

Sometimes if a poster actually quotes the post they are referring to it makes it easier to follow the thread.

I have no idea which post adw1977 is talking about.

On 8/23/2020 at 3:14 PM, Cavcraft said:

Image may contain: one or more people, car and outdoor

Eastgate Street, Chester. Down as 'probably 1950's',  though possibly sometime in the 60's?

3 hours ago, GBJ said:

Sometimes if a poster actually quotes the post they are referring to it makes it easier to follow the thread.

I have no idea which post adw1977 is talking about.

@GBJ I think this is the post adw1977 is referring to. 

5 hours ago, High Jetter said:

"Foden it be nice to..." Moss bros with a balcony? Is that an Imp or a Clubman extreme right?

The balcony is The Rows, part of Chester's unique city centre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Rows