Shite in your town, in ye olden times.

Cavcraft

The Cross, Chester, 1960's...

Image may contain: car and outdoor

All changed now. On the top of the picture, the one way road is now one way in the other direction, you can't access where the bus and the Imp were coming from, nor the A40 Farina going to, and to the left (again where bus is heading) is one way in the other direction. Should really get off my arse and do some 'then and now' type pictures.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:42 PM, Cavcraft said:

The Cross, Chester, 1960's...

All changed now. On the top of the picture, the one way road is now one way in the other direction, you can't access where the bus and the Imp were coming from, nor the A40 Farina going to, and to the left (again where bus is heading) is one way in the other direction. Should really get off my arse and do some 'then and now' type pictures.

Webasto Folding Fabric Sunroof on the Imp.  Very popular in the days of sunshine, nowadays it just seems to piss it down with rain most days.

Is being in Cromer like being in some sort of parallel distorted world where everything is all squidgy, with long drawn out sounds and repeating echos? Like watching a 70s Dr Who episode on acid? Maybe that's the photographer's personal view after an afternoon in the pub. Look at that young lad's legs, is that normal?

Edit, both pics were all huge and distorted as regards height, Cav has since amended them. Should have left them as they were but never mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm inclined to agree on it looking like an FE Vauxhall, but the red badge points to a Ventora as some of them had a red griffin instead of Vauxhall letters. Possibly the 2300 S also had the red badge but the blue looks too dark.

Ive been checking some numbers in the LMA ---P area and a few Datsuns coming up, but I can't think of anything that fits the picture , Laurels and Bluebirds of this time were still old school Japanese fussy and ornate.

11 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I'm inclined to agree on it looking like an FE Vauxhall, but the red badge points to a Ventora as some of them had a red griffin instead of Vauxhall letters. Possibly the 2300 S also had the red badge but the blue looks too dark.

Vauxhall Victor FE | Rear View of a 1974/5 Vauxhall Victor ...

I think you're right, but lesser models had the red badge as well. The more upmarket models had a light coloured (alloy?) filler between the lights, with both letters and badges. So I'm guessing at a more lowly model than a Ventora.

The World's most recently posted photos of ventora and ...Makke's Garage - Vauxhall FE Ventora

On 24 January 2020 at 5:49 PM, JeeExEll said:

Is being in Cromer like being in some sort of parallel distorted world where everything is all squidgy, with long drawn out sounds and repeating echos? Like watching a 70s Dr Who episode on acid? Maybe that's the photographer's personal view after an afternoon in the pub. Look at that young lad's legs, is that normal?

Normal For Norfolk.

5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Chester railway station 1975/6.

What's the car next to the Fiat, please? Can't quite make the reg. no out to check. Thought it was a Victor but not so sure.

The yellow edge to the Mk2 Cortina's rear plate shows that it was originally bought for export, & later on re-imported.

1 hour ago, martc said:

I wonder why they thought that such a system was needed? Who would benefit from knowing this at a glance?

I assume it was just so a car could be used over here until it was shipped abroad & the reg wasn’t reissued while it was away so it was a simple case of putting the old plates back on & filling out the right paperwork 

Out of interest...

PDW386R is recorded as a black Leyland Cars  - tax due 1/7/89

MTG185P is recorded as a blue Leyland Cars - tax due 1/2/85. The attempted number obscuration didn't fool me!

AUH827T is a bronze Austin Morris - tax due 26/9/92

• 4 weeks later...

BOOM! 

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

It's now one way (opposite direction from parked/facing cars), the pub has long gone and C&A is now Game/HMV/McDonalds. I wonder if that bird has thrown a wobbler because they've just come out of the Abbey National and her fella is buying the Avenger estate?

*Edit: may be the building to the left of the pub is now Game.