Shite in your town, in ye olden times.

Cavcraft

5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Belter posted up today on a local page on social media. This is now a dual carriageway and the petrol station (and the one opened later, on right hand side of picture) long since gone...

68724766_2408064516137025_64463552195959

That Fiat is still on the DVLA too, last tax expired July 1988. Be ace if it's still sat in someone's garage somewhere.

Would need to be on the Moon to last Until now I think. My N reg. 127 was utterly rotten by 1983. Still drove well though. 

And that petrol price, that's for a gallon!

• 5 weeks later...

The garage where I had my first full time job probably about the time I was there 1989.

Once an Austin dealer decades ago, in post BL memory it has been a Datsun dealer, then Fiat and back to Nissan before standing empty for a couple of years before changing hands and opening as Peugeot Talbot.

That Volvo truck disappeared from DVLA records a year later. Export no doubt.

The 205 lasted until 2003.

The Peugeot dealer closed around 1991, re opened as a Vauxhall dealer around 1994 before finally closing for good 2010ish

It's now a convenience store.

tim-brinton1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Frodsham Street, Chester, December 1967

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

Same place circa 1978 it's thought...

71316195_2721877491156239_49067305835325

This is now The Town Crier pub, just behind it was where Chester City Transport (where that bus is from) used to be based

71915098_522255828319932_366027880448131

On 8/16/2019 at 8:56 PM, Asimo said:

And that petrol price, that's for a gallon!

If that picture was taken in '75ish the real price of a gallon of fuel then in today's money is something like £5.77 which compares favourably with the £5.90 or so that it is today.

However, related to earnings the price of a gallon of fuel then was £10.89 which makes today's fuel such a bargain and probably explains why all the Mustangs you see on the road are full fat V8s.

In summary, it's good to be alive today.

Of course on the understanding that every silver lining has a cloud there are some things that we have lost that are worth mourning. Just as today there are two prices on the signboard. However, the number at the top is for 4 star rather than gas oil. Just imagine being able to go to a filling station and not getting your shoes covered in shitty diesel.

Northgate Street, Chester, 1960's...

Image may contain: tree, night and outdoor

The car place is now an empty library, though will be the home of the market when it eventually gets moved there. 'More & Gamon' (as advertised on the bus) was still going into the early 1980s, iirc, as my dad and I nipped in to check out the Maestro when they came out and I still recall how amused we were by the talking dashboards. It's now a Kwik-Fit.

5 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Northgate Street, Chester, 1960's...

Image may contain: tree, night and outdoor

The car place is now an empty library, though will be the home of the market when it eventually gets moved there. 'More & Gamon' (as advertised on the bus) was still going into the early 1980s, iirc, as my dad and I nipped in to check out the Maestro when they came out and I still recall how amused we were by the talking dashboards. It's now a Kwik-Fit.

I noticed the old library had been a car place when the OH and I were in Chester a few weeks back. Was it a franchised garage? 

Market Place, Cannock, 1968; with a proto-Mexico-rep in the foreground...

image.png

22 years later, still not pedestrianised but it wouldn't be long:

image.png

We seem to like our five-way junctions round here.  This is one of three in the town, all of which are now bloody awkward roundabouts.  It's 1973 here, so it's not my Dyane:

image.png

The Prince of Wales Theatre, 1987.  Part of a complex structure whose multi-storey car park has been condemned and the market hall is being emptied.  Its days are likely numbered.

image.png

True, and Ford were in a few different places over the years. From memory Grosvenor Street, Lower Bridge Street, Saltney and Sealand Road, but they also had a place that sold second hand cars and motorhomes in Vicars Cross. Next time you're in town go to the new library in the Story House,, it's ace!

4 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

True, and Ford were in a few different places over the years. From memory Grosvenor Street, Lower Bridge Street, Saltney and Sealand Road, but they also had a place that sold second hand cars and motorhomes in Vicars Cross. Next time you're in town go to the new library in the Story House,, it's ace!

Thanks if we go back to Chester I'll have a look. 

Check this out, it's only a bleeding Sherpa crossing the old Dee bridge!

72754104_529158740962974_832174495845318

Your fun* fact of the day is that former Liverpool football club player used to live in one of the flats (Salmons Leap) top left to middle. His claim to fame back in the day was turning a TR7 over onto it's roof outside a nightclub in Chester.

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Looks like the driver of the Accord is our photographer...

I'll just park here dear and take a photo of that Avenger with the anti-static strips. It's bound to cause a stir in about 30 years time when some one 'posts it on the internet' whatever that means.

22 hours ago, brownnova said:

https://youtu.be/H8cPmTKjfw0

And this one is the village I live just outside of in 1987.

The same YouTube channel also has this excellent video taken from the top deck of (probably) a Bristol VR in Rhyl in 1988. I drove this route more times than I care to remember back in my bus driving days in the '90s.