Shite in your town, in ye olden times.

Cavcraft

• 2 weeks later...

An old postcard of a street in my local town...

post-47-0-46491500-1497717317_thumb.jpg

What I find bemusing, is who at the time thought a non-descript street (most of which now is pedestrianised) with a primered Simca 1100, Mini pick-up and Opel Kadett parked outside Brian's DIY (Still going strong, although tidied up a lot) was worthy postcard material...

I'm glad they did though...

It is. Not many old pics around of traffic there despite the A96 going right through the narrow high street. Bypassed a few years ago. You know it?

Quite well. My truck delivery run takes me all over Scotland. Once a month I deliver to a customer in Mosstodloch, so end up kipping at either the Gordon Arms or the Ugie house hotel in Keith. My run takes in Fort William, Aboyne and Banchory among others.Some beautiful sights to be seen up there!

• 2 weeks later...

21283346332_1000f3c62b_b.jpg

Deansgate, Manchester, mid 1980s I believe. Slap bang in the city centre. Bombed by the IRA, around 1997.

8456707030_04074d5eba_b.jpg

Prestwich, towards Rochdale 1983. I'm not familiar with this area but it's a decent picture.

48344698.jpg

Not sure where this was taken. The bus is heading to stalybridge, so presumeably it's on the A635 Ashton Old Road heading out of the city centre towards Openshaw and Ashton-under-Lyne. 

32871368821_28d466d9df_b.jpg

32152258114_e77a041f82_b.jpg

- Not sure where these were taken, other than being on the A662 Ashton "New" Road.The first is looking toward the city centre with the CIS tower on the horizon - I worked there for about 8 years. You can just about see the tower from my home town Droylsden but it's much smaller, though no less central on the road.

The second picture is the same road as the previous image but the opposite direction, looking towards Droylsden with The Peak District in the background, and I would say a couple more miles out of the city centre.

metrolink-tram-near-the-droylsden-stop-d

P1030072a-550x391.jpg

- this is how it looks now. They talked about running the Metro trams between the City centre and AuL for years. I moved down south only to go back five years later to see they had actually done it. What with all the development of Clayton around Manchester City FC, Ashton New Road has been totally transformed. 

/\/\

Going by the colour scheme and the shape of the box body, that Leyland in the top picture looks to be part of the 'Ripponden Motors' fleet...

Fiat Strada cabrio on the billboard in the other pic too...

Corporation Street, not Deansgate, in the first Manchester pic.  I remember it looking very similar in the 1990s until remodelled by the IRA.

Oh yes so it is. I see on Google Street View it's also been "Metro'd". You'll have to forgive my poor recollection; I haven't been there for almost ten years.