STOLEN - Blue 1987 Mini City E731 CPD - Southall **Now found**

Angrydicky

I doubt that Mini was targetted because of going to a show and being followed back.... probably opportunist, and the fact that if it was a real Krooklock, then they're about as secure as leaving a cheese slice on the steering wheel. Someone probably saw it, told their mate, "Oh, we'll nab that and sell the bits".

I remember finding out in one of my mums cars that if you put your foot behind the pedal, you could lift it up and the krooklock drops off. 

I've since seen that once you remove a krooklock, it makes a really nice lever to break a steering lock too.

For stuff like this - disklock, or put it on a driveway with one of those padlocked poles behind it.

For stuff like a mint Mk1 Mexico, then armed police and keep it out of sight.

Those trackers are OK, but if the car is really worth putting some effort into nicking then you can buy a device that blocks phone signals for about £30. One of them will stop the tracker working whilst you strip it, find the tracker tucked somewhere in the shell, and lob it in the canal. Equally, some people have found trackers put on their cars after a show - crims use them to work out where you live. In this case, a phone blocker would be exactly what you need.

It's a funny shitty old world.

• 11 months later...

Just to update this thread.

Eerily, exactly one year to the day the Mini was nicked, today the owner was contacted by the Met police to say the car has been recovered, and two people have been arrested.

No idea on condition yet but I will go with the owner to inspect it in the police compound, and make a decision about its future.

That's very kind of you Mike. I imagine it'll need a steering lock and wheel at the very least (the CCTV was grainy but we now think he used a hacksaw to cut through the wheel rim) but we just don't know at this stage, it could be in good nick or it could be little more than a shell.

I've offered safe storage for it here in Suffolk in the immediate future so it can be removed from the compound, as it's attracting storage fees and the insurance company are keen for a quick resolution.

Not much clue on where it was found yet, but she was contacted by an officer from Harrow police station (not the original investigating officer from Ealing) so probably that sort of area.

A year on and its still in one piece. Assume its been ringed and then used as a daily driver.

In an ideal world, you will get the car back in a better condition from when it was nicked. (doubtful, but here's hoping)

As said above, great news and keep us informed

Assuming it's not a ringer, it looks as though the current pondlife hasn't owned the Ovlov for long.

Let's hope the 5-0 get the bastards.

I do wonder if car theft would be lessened in the country if, as punishment, offenders had multiple digits removed, as opposed to fines and/or time at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Hello. What site is this type of information available on. I know how to check MoT and MoT history and tax - didn't know you could check ownership?

post-20142-0-34517600-1526713044_thumb.jpg

I use one of these Stoplock Pro's - any good or just cheese? (Stock photo - not my carpet). I also have a padlock and chain I put through one of my spoked wheels. I'd not seen this thread before - was a very low-tech theft - old car and a tow rope. I had my Landcruiser stolen- found it a few streets away with Stoplock still on. They must have lifted the front. But abandoned - maybe Mr Big saw how rusty it was.

post-20142-0-52421300-1526713374_thumb.jpg

Yes and even as a logged in member the event is no longer explained. Was ok a few months ago. So I thought I would buy the check. Still not on that either after £15 !

Really? I assumed it would ‘unlock the facts’ if you paid them queen’s heads.

Bastards. Lock ‘em up in the same dungeon with the Mini poaching twerps.

It used to be available on cazana, although now it just states 'events happened on this date' or something similar.

Sure Thing car insurance will give you the last change of keeper date if you start a quote with the registration number.

Good to hear that the Mini was recovered and two peeps arrested.

Jogged my memory going back 45 years. My bother had a lovelyTriumph 1300 that was nicked. A week later got a call from the Police and had to go to their compound. They would only let my brother in and when he came out, he was quite upset. The car was a write off.

After being reported stolen, it was spotted in an underground car park. It would not stop so a copper managed to smash the windscreen as it drove by.  The guy turned left out of the car park and into a one way system and hit a coach head on. He was dragged out of the car and arrested.

The best bit? When he came up in court, he asked for 66 other offenses to be dealt with at the same time. The sentence? Six months probation. We felt utterly let down by the system.

Sure Thing car insurance will give you the last change of keeper date if you start a quote with the registration number.

We'll they had better hurry up and comply or the fine will kill them

V5C has had that part removed for a while now