Database: *NEW NEWS: TUESDAY 23/05/2017 PLEASE READ*

daveb47

We're on it, and hope to speak with EL this evening.

Please PM Billy or me if you can offer constructive/practical assistance.

Let's do this once and do it RIGHT.

This.

Just popped on  one last time,Chaseracer & cavcraft both have access to latest server backups,just done them.

Just buy a server,can be done instantly.install cpanel whatever,get electric leyland to change ip address to that of your server.

takes about a day in all.

I will loan Ipb software if needed for 28 days but you will have to purchase your own by then.licence is not transferable.

Sorry for doing this but  have spent 20 solid hours non stop trying to get board back up,would have been up to date with no lossof posts but i can only put up with so much crap,so knocked it on head for my own health & sanity.

Sorry all but tried my best,obviously not good enough.

Just to clarify this downtime was not a server error or anything,it was taken down by me to rebuild server,took a bit longer than expected.

Was notified this was happening first post in this thread.

See this thread for why i have had enough

http://autoshite.info/topic/28055-database-errors/

Not sure what kind of server specs are required but I've just leased a dedicated server from www.soyoustart.com (OVH) for a very reasonable rate for some lab / testing stuff

EDIT - sadly not an offer of somewhere to host, it's paid for through my company solely for business use however it's a recommendation of a vendor that might cut costs.

Seriously, and flame me if you like, but would it not be easier to just go to proboards? I know they carry some ads, but is that such a bad thing if it brings stability at no cost?

Yes, that's a bad thing in my opinion. I've never been a member of a free forum that hasn't had restrictions that make it unworkable for anything more than a short term test board.

Guest Breadvan72

Has someone got a list of all email addresses if we lose the site then at least updates for any new site can be shared by email? Will also contribute to the pot if needed.

Yes, everyone on the internet has the email list, apparently.  Dave helpfully put them all up there yesterday, which was thoughtful of him.  

Seriously, and flame me if you like, but would it not be easier to just go to proboards? I know they carry some ads, but is that such a bad thing if it brings stability at no cost?

I think the problem with proboards is there is no mechanism (I don't think) to import the current forum, so you'd be starting from scratch and lose all content

If you went to IPB (who make the current forum software) and had it hosted in the cloud it would be an easy transition, but its costed based on number of concurrent active users, so it could be well north of £100 a month (though its probably still cheaper than a dedicated server, and the cost is fixed, transparent, all inclusive etc

Guess who hasn't had a lot to do at work today,

Guest Breadvan72

I thought it was confirmed that didn't happen?

Was it?  If it didn't happen, fine, and me very sorry.  I have been off doing blah all day and may have missed a meeting.  

Presumably, Junkman was dreaming when he saw the addresses being available on the net yesterday.  Or maybe Junkman was fibbing.  Gosh, naughty Junkman. 

I know the square root of FA about the technical side but one thing pops into my mind.

How do other free forums fund themselves ?

Ads, sponsorship by interest related businesses, lottery winner paying the bills...

Other forums I've been a member of in the past have been funded by a combination of traders fees, donations from members and out of the owners pocket.  A lot of them have died on their arse now and been replaced with facebook groups.  I can see why and everything, but....meh, facebook.

Was it? If it didn't happen, fine, and me verys orry. I have been off doing blah all day and may have missed a meeting.

Presumably, Junkman was dreaming when he saw the addresses being available on the net yesterday. Or maybe Junkman was fibbing. Gosh, naughty Junkman.

I've just gone and re read the thread and your right. Whoops... Luckily my Gmail is more spam than ham anyway so I won't notice any more

Guest Breadvan72

RE:  addresses etc on the net.

I have checked the other thread on .info.  I am sorry if I missed a post while speed scrolling, but I could not see Dave indicating that Junkman's contention that the addresses and PMs were available on the net to anyone who wanted them was incorrect.

IF Dave were to say X and Junkman were to say Y,  I would probably be inclined to prefer Junkman's version (that is: Y), unless and until Dave proved X.  This is because previous stuff said by Dave causes me to doubt his credibility.  Junkman is a man whom I trust, even though he pretends to be a silly person on here.    If Junkman is wrong, and therefore I am wrong, and Dave is right, I will accept this and say sorry. 

IF (I say IF) the stuff on the net stuff happened, there was arguably a breach of data protection legislation.  Does Dave have a DPA registration with the ICO?  I asked him about this, but, again, I may have missed an answer while reading too fast.  

I don't care about the DPA.  It is a silly thing.  The ICO cares about the DPA.  How tiresome!  Some people (not me) might care about their PMs and email addresses being spaffed onto the net.  People can be funny that way. 

Hi, as some of you may have seen, there are concerns that the mysql password that the board uses was made public recently. As a security precaution we are changing it. This shouldn't cause downtime but then again the sump plug should just undo easily. Will advise when this has been done. (Slartibarfast)